NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-04-2019, 08:46 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Default Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (2019) Topps Living Set #179

I presume most of you know the concept behind Topps' Living Set. Essentially, it's a set that will never be complete. In Topps' own words, from their website:
"What is the “Living Set”? It’s a trading card set that starts with Card #1, but does not have a final card. It’s not tied to any specific season or era... but lives on year after year. It’s the first cross-generational product that can be collected and traded for years to come.

As part of the Living Set program, Topps will only issue one card per player unless that player changes teams. Three new players will be offered every week and will be available for purchase for just one week.

This exciting, groundbreaking set is modeled after the historic 1953 Topps Baseball design, the first hand-painted set. The set is still one of the most beloved among baseball fans even decades after its release, as it features compelling imagery from some of baseball’s all-time greats."
One of the cards currently available is Vladimir Guerrero Jr., who recently made his Major League Debut. Topps has issued MLB cards of players who at the time had yet to make their Major League Debut in the past - one notable example is Carl Yastrzemski, whose rookie card is in the 1960 Topps set but did not play his first game in the bigs until 1961. So, in and of itself, the fact that Guerrero got a card so soon after his first game is not a big deal.

But I found the back of Guerrero's Living Set card hilarious. Since the 1953 Topps design had career stats, so do the Living Set cards. And in the case of Guerrero's... well, before I tell you what I found so wild about it, you take a look.

Did you see it? The card notes that he made his ML Debut 4/26/19, and his lifetime stats are as of 4/29/19. Lifetime stats: 3 games, 12 at bats. That's what I found so crazy. Particularly since this will be his only Topps Living Set card as long as he's with Toronto.

Up to and including the games of 5/3/19, he's played 6 games and had 23 at-bats. And, of course, by the time the card actually arrives in buyers' hands, those numbers will be even higher.

The Guerrero card is still available from Topps. It went on sale 5/1/19 and will be on sale until midnight EST 5/8/19, if I've calculated the time remaining correctly. The link to order the card, where you'll also find a countdown clock letting you know how much time is left until the card is removed from sale, is here.

(Disclaimer: I do not work for Topps and have no relationship with them. Since the card is still available as of this writing, those of you who might be inclined to get this card might want to know how to get it.)
Old 05-04-2019, 09:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

With all the build up this young man has received, I am surprised his card is selling for around 5 bucks, but I don't know the issue.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:00 AM
Rich Klein

Hitting under .200 will do that for you. And the large quantity of this card has not helped either. Give it some time and if he hits the way he should the $5 is a buying opportunity. Also not really a "mainstream" card, because you can't pull from pack but you have to pay attention to "living set" concept to know this

Rich
Old 05-05-2019, 04:45 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

"outstanding hit tool"
Old 05-05-2019, 05:07 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
With all the build up this young man has received, I am surprised his card is selling for around 5 bucks, but I don't know the issue.
All the cards in this set start at $5. They just print different amounts of them based on the orders.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:54 AM
octavio ranzola

One rbi ,,try to sell his dads cards .
Old 05-06-2019, 05:11 PM
C@rl P@rk

I have enjoyed collecting this set since it started last year. Kind of expensive but terrific concept and it's been fun to flip through the year one binder.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2019, 07:07 AM

Are you guys saying Vlad isn't good?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Rich Klein

We don't know the final answer to "is he good" yet. Yes a small sample size and remember W.H. Mays began his career 1 for 26 so we would have said the same things about him in 1951,

I'm just pointing out some of the immediate price appreciation issues

Rich
Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 AM

Not sure there is an issue though. When you're the best prospect in baseball your card prices are higher than others. What issue do you see?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Rich Klein

I said price appreciation issues. There is a difference between on-field issues and card market issues.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:06 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

The card has gone off sale. The officially announced print run: 27,749.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Bill Potter

I ordered one of the cards from a dealer on eBay today. It's a fine-looking card and I have a good feeling about Booty Guerrero.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:32 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
I ordered one of the cards from a dealer on eBay today. It's a fine-looking card and I have a good feeling about Booty Guerrero.
Decided to do the same. Prices are all over the place but I was able to find one decently priced and local so was also able to pay in CDN funds for a change.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:15 PM
Bill Potter

Got my 2019 Topps Living of Booty Guerrero. Posed it next to my Myers so I could have my oldest card and my newest in the same shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190520_172729-1.jpg (73.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
Got my 2019 Topps Living of Booty Guerrero. Posed it next to my Myers so I could have my oldest card and my newest in the same shot
Nice!

I believe he has hit 4 home runs now but was sat by the Jays for some reason today??
I stated in another thread about how I dislike Shapiro and Atkins and this does nothing to improve on that.
It was a holiday Monday (long weekend/May 2-4) here today so the place was more full than usual and I bet 90% of the fans who attended were thinking they'd see Guerrero play for sure.

This stupid stunt will have them regretting sitting him I'm sure.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:52 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Nice!

I believe he has hit 4 home runs now but was sat by the Jays for some reason today??
I stated in another thread about how I dislike Shapiro and Atkins and this does nothing to improve on that.
It was a holiday Monday (long weekend/May 2-4) here today so the place was more full than usual and I bet 90% of the fans who attended were thinking they'd see Guerrero play for sure.

This stupid stunt will have them regretting sitting him I'm sure.
It was announced after Sunday's game that Vlad would sit on Monday so if you paid attention. not really a surprise.

Rich
Old 05-21-2019, 03:39 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
It was announced after Sunday's game that Vlad would sit on Monday so if you paid attention. not really a surprise.

Rich
If you were Canadian you'd also realize this was a dumb move but I'm not really surprised either.
https://torontosun.com/sports/baseba...all-to-red-sox

On this decision, the Jays didn’t so much as stub their collective toes on the top of the dugout steps as they did completely trip over themselves.

It was dumb and short-sighted.

Why did no one with the club look ahead and realize that perhaps, say, Tuesday night would have been a better option to rest Guerrero? It didn’t occur to anyone in the front office to say, ‘Hey, wait a minute?’ ”

Guerrero said through team translator Hector Lebron. “I found out when I got to the field.”

Last edited by irv; 05-21-2019 at 06:42 AM.