NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-29-2020, 09:48 AM

Default My Koufax Adventure/Project

Back in November (2019) started working on picking up a Topps issued Koufax PC based on his playing years. A little background Koufax was my Dad's favorite player and a big reason was because he was a lefty pitcher. Myself, I have always been wow'd by his last 5-6 years performance and of course his performance in the big games specifically his post season stats.

So, for now I'm focused on completing his Topps issued cards which I believe he has 30 from 55-67 including the 56 gray and white backs. I put these together in the PSA Digital Album as a Showcase which I prefer to the registry digital albums.

Still looking for the below but thought I would share the progress in digital album form.

****UPDATED****LOOKING for the below****

1964 Pitching Leaders PSA 7
1966 Pitching Leaders PSA 7

Last edited by gustomania; 02-05-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:04 AM

Nice growing collection. Dittos concerning your dad, I was lucky he was a big Dodger fan, thus I have found memories of seeing Koufax pitch a number of times including a game in August 1965 when he went 10 or 11 innings for a 1-0 SO. Only wish I’d been there for his perfect game!

Good luck with building that set!

Aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2020, 10:44 AM

Thanks and very cool story!!! I would love to be there during any of his games just to take in the ambiance and know what it's like back in the 50/60's.

Very cool and thanks for posting.

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronbenabe View Post
Nice growing collection. Dittos concerning your dad, I was lucky he was a big Dodger fan, thus I have found memories of seeing Koufax pitch a number of times including a game in August 1965 when he went 10 or 11 innings for a 1-0 SO. Only wish I’d been there for his perfect game!

Good luck with building that set!

Aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 04:41 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Good stuff brother~!
Always interested to see what you are picking up, I'm on the road currently so I can't see the detail (grades) on some of those images, since I'm on my phone.
Crazy thing is, they all have good eye appeal, from what I can see. Which is a great thing.... the centering on everything seems pretty well done from the little bit I can gather.

Consider adding in a Topps "Stand-Up", I really like that issue on a number of players.

I'd definitely be thinking about adding in an auto card from back then too. You will NOT regret it down the road.

I'll be watching intently in the coming days.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 07-30-2020 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:15 AM

I did the Koufax basic set in PSA 7. I had about half the cards and when I sent them to PSA, most came back as 7s. I got 1 8 so that is in the run. I never thought about doing the league leaders and combo cards. I do have some of those. I may try sending those to PSA and filling it out like you are doing. Koufax is the greatest left handed pitcher and live ball pitcher of all time. Watched him throw a 1 hitter to beat Spahn. The one hit barely cleared the fence for a HR. Koufax was less than 5 feet from pitching another no hitter. No modern era pitcher has ever been as dominant.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:40 AM

Thanks guys

DJ - Yeah I've been toying around with a few other Koufax cards and the Pop Up is definitely one I will be getting at some point. Its a slow but fun process picking cards I like with my kind of eye appeal. Usually with projects if I go to fast, spend too much I get frustrated and ultimately lose interest. So, trying to take it slow and pick up a few cards each month.

Rats - Thanks for the story and background. Would love to see all those 7's that's a really awesome collection. I am finding I am really enjoying those leader cards and really adds that extra touch to the digital showcase and maybe that is something you would be interested in showing.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I did the Koufax basic set in PSA 7. I had about half the cards and when I sent them to PSA, most came back as 7s. I got 1 8 so that is in the run. I never thought about doing the league leaders and combo cards. I do have some of those. I may try sending those to PSA and filling it out like you are doing. Koufax is the greatest left handed pitcher and live ball pitcher of all time. Watched him throw a 1 hitter to beat Spahn. The one hit barely cleared the fence for a HR. Koufax was less than 5 feet from pitching another no hitter. No modern era pitcher has ever been as dominant.
I would like to nominate Nolan Ryan and his seven no-hitters and 5714 strikeouts.

Last edited by Malibu39; 12-21-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=gustomania;2003907]Thanks and very cool story!!! I would love to be there during any of his games just to take in the ambiance and know what it's like back in the 50/60's.

Perchance you never treated yourself to this, a fine anecdote and piece on Sandy Koufax that eloquently conveys the ambiance of his last 6 years pitching at home may be found in Ken Burns's documentary on the history of baseball. The piece begins with the anecdote by famed Dodger broadcaster, the late Vin Skully. I will always remember his first two words, "Oh genius." If you don't own it, gustomania, there is a good chance your local public library has it available to check out. That is how I saw it. You can probably Google the index and discover which volume has what Ken gives us about Sandy. It IS very moving.

Congratulations on your collecting quest; I'm sure it will be very fulfilling to you.

I just thought of another something to complement your Koufax collection. Rare Sportsfilms out of Naperville, Illinois markets some terrific DVDs about sports. They offer many of the immediate postwar official World Series films, so that includes 63, 65, and 66. The first two are "must haves". I cannot recall if they have a DVD strictly devoted to Sandy. If that interests you, check Rare Sportsfilms' web site. Doak Ewing's stuff is not penny ante, nor should it be, and they are high quality and reasonably priced!

Just trying to be helpful, bro.....

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-10-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:02 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Koufax is a fun one but like potato chips it is impossible to stop once you get going. I completed my Koufax Morrell and Bell runs a few years ago. That was a toughie.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-11-2020, 01:20 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

[QUOTE=brian1961;2007394]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustomania View Post
Thanks and very cool story!!! I would love to be there during any of his games just to take in the ambiance and know what it's like back in the 50/60's.

Perchance you never treated yourself to this, a fine anecdote and piece on Sandy Koufax that eloquently conveys the ambiance of his last 6 years pitching at home may be found in Ken Burns's documentary on the history of baseball. The piece begins with the anecdote by famed Dodger broadcaster, the late Vin Skully. I will always remember his first two words, "Oh genius." If you don't own it, gustomania, there is a good chance your local public library has it available to check out. That is how I saw it. You can probably Google the index and discover which volume has what Ken gives us about Sandy. It IS very moving.

Congratulations on your collecting quest; I'm sure it will be very fulfilling to you.

I just thought of another something to complement your Koufax collection. Rare Sportsfilms out of Naperville, Illinois markets some terrific DVDs about sports. They offer many of the immediate postwar official World Series films, so that includes 63, 65, and 66. The first two are "must haves". I cannot recall if they have a DVD strictly devoted to Sandy. If that interests you, check Rare Sportsfilms' web site. Doak Ewing's stuff is not penny ante, nor should it be, and they are high quality and reasonably priced!

Just trying to be helpful, bro.....

--- Brian Powell
I've been working with John Miley the past 20 years, putting his old radio broadcasts onto CD. We have many complete games Sandy pitched, including his 1962 no-hitter. The CDs are $19.99 each or 4 for $59.97. We also offer .mp3 downloads, $15 ea. or 4 for $45. If interested pm me and I'll send a catalog of available games.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:32 PM

Great info guys, really appreciate it! Might have to dabble in some different items at some point in the near future.

Chad