NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 PM

Default Box/Case Question

Maybe not as much as some or maybe more than others, I love ripping open packs and hobby boxes now. What's the best to really buy for the possibility for those great hits/sigs/patches?

Also what cases/boxes that are still floating around out there would be good ones to snatch up if I wanted to try to win another lottery or to build a set for? Ive considered '87s just because of my birth year but from what I've seem to have read and heard that that was right around the junk era and I personally don't need more junk.

This mainly applies to baseball, but I seem to have found my passion in Indianapolis Colts for a collection.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:29 AM
Bill Gregory

There are really a myriad of options out there, and at different price points. I used to buy boxes trying for the big "hit", but the only "hit" ended up being to my wallet.

My suggestion? Go to Ebay, and put in the name of a player that you like, and see what comes up. If you're a Colts fan, Andrew Luck cards are really hot, and they should continue to appreciate in value as he gets better. But the likelihood of scoring that big Luck card with a signature and patch are slim, and you're going to spend a lot of money to get an autographed card you don't really want.

What I do is buy boxes occasionally to crack open for the fun factor, and then buy the cards I really want individually on EBay, or from COMC.com, or one of the different sports card forums I've frequented. By buying cards individually, you take luck out of the equation (no pun intended. Well, maybe.... ). You can see the exact card you're getting, and judge if it meets your conditional requirements. If you're looking at it as an investment, something you might sell someday, you need to be pretty picky. Look at the card's edges, corners, surface, centering, and if it's a patch or auto, the cut of the window holding the patch, and the quality of the signature. If a player signs, and the pen streaks a little, it can lower the grade. It's not as aesthetically appealing.

As for the individual product lines? There are so many, your best is to start while looking around. In baseball, Topps Museum is a line that has a lot of nice pieces with mixed "ingredients", so to speak. Jersey patches, baseball bat knobs, autographs, etc. The product includes current players, as well as all-time greats. Those will have a published number of "hits" per box. In other words, you'll be guaranteed to get something like "1 jersey card, 1 card with a jersey piece and an autograph, and 1 card with 2 autographs". Those boxes tend to be quite expensive.

If it's the Colts you're looking for, I don't think Upper Deck has it's full NFL license back yet (meaning they can picture players, but not team logos), but the Upper Deck Exquisite line is one of my favorites. They're really thick cards with on card autographs, and uniform patch pieces. Here's one of my cards, Jordy Nelson of the Packers. This is a 2007 rookie card.

You might look into something like the Topps Five Star line. I don't know the current pricing. I'd expect the boxes run a few hundred bucks each. Again, probably smarter to buy something like a box of Topps or Bowman Chrome, with a guaranteed on card auto, and buy the showpiece cards you want individually. This is a nice example:

Keep in mind, that card, bought individually, will be quite expensive. Still, if you want to guarantee you get something you'll like, it could beat buying multiple boxes, and getting nothing in return.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:43 AM
James

First rule...make sure you're buying HOBBY boxes/cases and not RETAIL. Hobby boxes contain more inserts and hits in them...which is why they are typically more expensive. I've purchased a few cases of items...Panini Americana was fun to break but to me, Allen & Ginter is one of the most fun cases/boxes to break. Most cases of any brand will contain atleast 3 insert hits per box...typically made up of patches or autos.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:16 PM

Before I got really into it recently I was buying rack packs and blasters by the handfuls. Then I found Hobby boxes, not sure what the big difference and chances are from Jumbos and have considered cases. All in all what I'm looking for is:

Baseball cases/jumbo/hobby boxes that have possibility of HOF sigs/autos off the top of my head namely Yankees

Football cases/jumbo/hobby boxes that have good Colts coverage with sigs/autos/patches.

While I want good hits for possibility of flipping for some money back, Id be satisfied with getting what I'm looking for.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
There are really a myriad of options out there, and at different price points. I used to buy boxes trying for the big "hit", but the only "hit" ended up being to my wallet.

My suggestion? Go to Ebay, and put in the name of a player that you like, and see what comes up. If you're a Colts fan, Andrew Luck cards are really hot, and they should continue to appreciate in value as he gets better. But the likelihood of scoring that big Luck card with a signature and patch are slim, and you're going to spend a lot of money to get an autographed card you don't really want.

What I do is buy boxes occasionally to crack open for the fun factor, and then buy the cards I really want individually on EBay, or from COMC.com, or one of the different sports card forums I've frequented. By buying cards individually, you take luck out of the equation (no pun intended. Well, maybe.... ). You can see the exact card you're getting, and judge if it meets your conditional requirements. If you're looking at it as an investment, something you might sell someday, you need to be pretty picky. Look at the card's edges, corners, surface, centering, and if it's a patch or auto, the cut of the window holding the patch, and the quality of the signature. If a player signs, and the pen streaks a little, it can lower the grade. It's not as aesthetically appealing.

As for the individual product lines? There are so many, your best is to start while looking around. In baseball, Topps Museum is a line that has a lot of nice pieces with mixed "ingredients", so to speak. Jersey patches, baseball bat knobs, autographs, etc. The product includes current players, as well as all-time greats. Those will have a published number of "hits" per box. In other words, you'll be guaranteed to get something like "1 jersey card, 1 card with a jersey piece and an autograph, and 1 card with 2 autographs". Those boxes tend to be quite expensive.

If it's the Colts you're looking for, I don't think Upper Deck has it's full NFL license back yet (meaning they can picture players, but not team logos), but the Upper Deck Exquisite line is one of my favorites. They're really thick cards with on card autographs, and uniform patch pieces. Here's one of my cards, Jordy Nelson of the Packers. This is a 2007 rookie card.

You might look into something like the Topps Five Star line. I don't know the current pricing. I'd expect the boxes run a few hundred bucks each. Again, probably smarter to buy something like a box of Topps or Bowman Chrome, with a guaranteed on card auto, and buy the showpiece cards you want individually. This is a nice example:

Keep in mind, that card, bought individually, will be quite expensive. Still, if you want to guarantee you get something you'll like, it could beat buying multiple boxes, and getting nothing in return.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
Well put stash, i feel the same way
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.