NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Shale Levine

Default babe ruth - just found for sale.. is it real?

I have a chance to grab this if it is real. no coa

give me your opinion[IMG]Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By shalelevine at 2012-03-28[/IMG]
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 AM

What's the magic word?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Mike Henson

Something is fishy.http://www.buy.com/prod/signed-babe-...223226729.html
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
What's the magic word?

IF
Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 AM

The magic word is "please."
Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by henson1855 View Post
What's fishy about it? That Brent has it listed on eBay and Buy.com? Brent is a good dealer to work with, he submits everything to PSA/DNA and also has a lot of live signings. He probably put it on both sites to bring more exposure to the ball.

I won't speak to the Ruth or Aaron signatures, but for the ball itself, Frick was NL President from 1934-1951, so it fits the period of when Ruth could have signed it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-Ha...item519b2c14a8
Old 03-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Scott S

How can we be sure that's the same Babe Ruth signature?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 AM
Mike Henson

The OP posts an image of a Ruth ball he is asking for opinions on authenticity,the photo he posted is the same image that is easily found by Googling images of Babe Ruth autographed balls. When you click on the the said image, you can then click on to the website associated with the image. That website is the auction of the ball that I posted the link to.The OP states there is no coa,yet the auction link states that there is and even lists the cert #,that's what I was refering to as fishy,not the seller of the ball.

Last edited by henson1855; 03-29-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Shale Levine

Default not on ebay

Actually I found this autograph on craigslist last night.

also, it would be great if you could please help me in my decision to buy it if it is real.

I am getting the feeling from most here that it is a fake but what is it that bothers you.

thanks again.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Scott S

If you found it on Craigslist, you likely should run away. The seller easily could be a scammer who stole the image off of eBay and is trying to make a quick buck in a scam.

Unless you're in the Mill Creek, Washington area, where the eBay seller (whom I would trust) is located and likely has the ball....
Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Shale Levine

Default craigslist in sacramento

Holy fraud baseball guys, this guy is trying to sell something he doesn't have on craigslist.

You are right it is on ebay. here is the add I found on craigslist

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/clt/2928289710.html
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by henson1855 View Post
The OP posts an image of a Ruth ball he is asking for opinions on authenticity,the photo he posted is the same image that is easily found by Googling images of Babe Ruth autographed balls. When you click on the the said image, you can then click on to the website associated with the image. That website is the auction of the ball that I posted the link to.The OP states there is no coa,yet the auction link states that there is and even lists the cert #,that's what I was refering to as fishy,not the seller of the ball.
Now I am following... Thanks for clearing it up!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:20 PM

All I can add is that Mill Creek Sports is a reputable dealer and has been in business for years.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Banned

Some people advertise things for sale that they don't have.

They will put it at a higher price than a place they know they can buy it from.

then when you agree to the higher price, they buy it from their source, then sell it to you at the higher agreed upon price, and take the mark up and put it in their pocket.

Some people get permission to do this from the original seller, and maybe even have it dropshipped from the original seller, but some people don't, they just appropriate the image and pretend they own it in house without permission from the original owner.

it's not right, but people do it all the time.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Scott S

Travis, I think this was a case of purely being a scam. The Craigslist ad just stole an image off the Internet and likely was trying to get someone to pay $400 via PayPal with the hopes of getting a Ruth ball.

I certainly understand about your theory / model, but this doesn't appear to be any more than another dirty scammer at work.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Some people advertise things for sale that they don't have.

They will put it at a higher price than a place they know they can buy it from.

then when you agree to the higher price, they buy it from their source, then sell it to you at the higher agreed upon price, and take the mark up and put it in their pocket.

Some people get permission to do this from the original seller, and maybe even have it dropshipped from the original seller, but some people don't, they just appropriate the image and pretend they own it in house without permission from the original owner.

it's not right, but people do it all the time.

We actually had this happen on the board once. A member took a well known west coast Dealers list of items he was selling and posted it on this board for sale (from the member posting it). Once we found out about it, very quickly I might add, it was nipped in the bud. People shouldn't be trying to sell stuff they don't own and/or without the permission of who does own it. It's just wrong.

Last edited by Leon; 03-30-2012 at 07:51 AM.