NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Default Large Joe Tinker Cubs Photo Pennant Questions & Help Please & Thanks

Posted By: Rob D.

Dan,

I remember when parts of the Halper collection were auctioned online by Sotheby's. The format was just as you described: Whenever a new bid was entered after the "end" of the auction, the time was extended (five minutes, I think.) I remember thinking at the time that it seemed odd for eBay not to go this route.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

On ebay, or any other "auction" with a set end time, the most logical way to bid is your maximum with seconds left. No time for anyone to outbid you, unless they already did. If you have 2nd place remorse, then you should have bid more.

In auctions with a moving end time, the most logical time to bid is still at late as possible, if the clock moves, then wait 5 more minutes. It's all about outlasting your opponent. I respectfully disagree, it is a game. And an auction.

Doug

Old 03-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bmarlowe

As a newbie I have been mucking through some old threads. If this kind of post is not of interest here, let me know and I'll stop. The consensus seems to have been that Frank was out in left field and that the photo on the Tinker pennant was indeed Tinker - but it is not. It's easy to show that it's Ed Reulbach. All you need is a decent scan of the photo to start with (head cropped out):

[linked image]

Now - comparing the ear from that photo (below left) to Tinker's ear (below right from the Library of Congress George Bain collection):

[linked image] [linked image]

The guy on the pennant has a detached earlobe, Tinker has a fully attached earlobe. Hence, the guy on the pennant can't be Tinker.

So - is it Reulbach? - Well he does have a chin clef - as did Reulbach (Tinker did not). Let's compare ears. Below left - the guy on the pennant, below right Reulbach:

[linked image] [linked image]

The ears match - it is Reulbach on the pennant. How this affects it's value I leave to you guys.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Thank you, B Marlowe. And WELCOME!!!

I think Amber has sold this, long ago. So this won't affect her.

And all along I maintained that the photo was of Ed Reulbach, that it was a pitcher's motion.

I was confident of that before you posted, although everyone else who bothered to post wouldn't hear of it. I don't think the photo was replaced, I don't think it is Tinker, I think the manufacturer just got the wrong photo on there, Reulbach's photo.

I think it would be about a 10% detraction on the sale value, IF the buyer figured out that it wasn't Tinker.

Now I hope Dan Bretta reads your post and rethinks what he posted 5 months ago. Dan must be a good guy, or trustworthy Leon would not have plugged him in with moderator powers; still Dan seems to always disagree with whatever I post. Maybe he can rethink one time.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator

By the way - the uniform is 1907 - the only year the Cubs used that style logo. So, that would be the likely date of the photo.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Frank, I don't disagree with you all the time...a lot of the time yes, but not all the time. We have similar feelings towards grading for sure, but I'm not as vocal as you are about it.

As far as the photo on the pennant goes I guess that means the Sporting News got the photo wrong too making the Tinker cards uncorrected errors.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I still think it's Tinker. You must have far better eyes than I to conclude that the photo pennant shows a detached lobe---the ear and its shadowing looks just like it does in the Max Stein postcard also posted in the thread. As for the chin, Tinker did have what can be described as at least a dimple:

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers/detail.jsp?playerId=123353

Also, while I know it's hard as heck to be certain from that photo, it generally appears to me as more like a 5'9" man(Tinker)than one 6'1"(Reulbach).

Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

For the record the photo used on the pennant is a rather famous photo that has been used multiple times labeled as Joe Tinker. I didn't spend more than a minute trying to analyze it because of that fact.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Old 03-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Not only that Dan, but that Stein photo is also just too remarkably similar. Note two things: Tinker, the player in the Stein postcard, wears an undershirt that goes nearly down to his wrist that almost appears to have a dark strip to it on the end. So too in the pennant. Also, Tinker in the Stein postcard wears that undershirt almost like a turtleneck, with his top button undone. Now here's the Dietsch postcard of Reulbach (thanks Bobby):
[linked image]

appears to be a shorter sleeve and shirt is buttoned with collar up. Again, not determinative, but I'm still sticking with the pennant as Tinker.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator

bmarlowe, you posted a cropped headshot of the Dietsch photo, not the pennant photo.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Administrator

OK - I see - my error was that I used the Dietsch card image in my analysis - not the pennant image. Somehow I got it in my head that the Dietsch card image was the same one that was on the pennant. I could blame it on late night and not enough coffee.

OK - well I proved that the Dietsch card image of Reulbach is Reulbach. Sorry Todd.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Administrator

no problems here---I'm all for making sure on card photos/lithos.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

They had the same mama ! Didnt you know that milkmen were ever so popular in Chicago back in nem days !