NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2020, 06:01 AM
Eric Perry

Default My first consignment

I have an item with recent sales that are quite a bit higher than anything I’ve sold previously. So, I am consigning it to Huggins & Scott for their February auction. Due to the value of the item, I am driving there to personally deliver it.

Yes, I’ve made an appointment. Yes, I’ve already worked out the consignment fee. Yes, the item is securely packed for transit. Yes, I’ll have ID.

Is there anything I should know when walking into this? Are there any etiquette and/or procedural items which might not be apparent to a first-timer? For example, I’m thinking of taking photos which show the item resting on the signed paperwork before H&S takes possession.

Sorry for the newbie question. Thanks, in advance, for your insight.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 10-31-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:06 AM
Glyn Parson

Do what makes you feel comfortable. If they have an issue with you doing something like that I sure as hell
Wouldn’t consign.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:08 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If it's a really top notch special item you could speak with them about getting placed in the front of the auction, in the top 10 or 25 listings for example, featured in promotional emails, etc.

Don't demand some crazy high opening price. The AH will know where to open it. Sometimes a high opening price can be disastrous. Just like selling a house. You want excitement and bidding. It will get up to a reasonable # on its own if its a quality item.

Don't nitpick the write up, as these guys know what they are doing. At the end of the day breathless crazy write ups probably aren't that important. However, if you feel it misses something important or misstates something, definitely speak up quickly.

My other advice would be not to drive yourself watching the bidding. My experience lately has been that you get a flurry of bids the first two days (people essentially putting a marker down) and then it goes slow for weeks. Only to pick up again the last two days. I'm sure if you polled consignors three days before their auction closes 97% of them would say they are unhappy where the item is sitting. Are exceptions of course.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-31-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:12 AM

Hi Eric! Not sure what you're consigning as I've been on vacation. However, if it's card related then I will handle the description and research end of the deal. We get these questions all of the time and will keep you in the loop from start to finish. Thanks for working with us!
Old 10-31-2020, 12:11 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I consigned baseball cards , sets , autographs , and memorabilia with H & S for several auctions from 2016 until 2019 with items valued at $100 to items valued many many times that and I found them easy to deal with and I was kept in the loop constantly from shipping the items to them or having Dick pick them up at my house in GA until post auction settlement . They were great communicating with me the day before and the day of the auction if they felt it necessary to do so . My consignment fees were negotiated fairly and never changed over the time of our dealings . Trust their judgement on catalog placement and on reserves versus minimum bids for the item , but remember this is still an auction so your item may sell lower than you think it's worth , or hopefully much more than you think it's worth . I did take photos of all my items front and back and of the LOAs that were with them for my records before shipping just in case something unfortunate did happen , but nothing ever did .
Good Luck !

Last edited by Klrdds; 10-31-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:34 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Is there anything I should know when walking into this? Are there any etiquette and/or procedural items which might not be apparent to a first-timer? For example, I’m thinking of taking photos which show the item resting on the signed paperwork before H&S takes possession.
The process should be as easy as sending the item to them (protected under their insurance policy) and signing (and reading) the contract. H&S is a reputable AH, they are not going to Crazy Uncle you.

Delivering in person, taking photos with the contract, etc. certainly doesn't hurt but shouldn't really be necessary.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:02 PM
Pete Sycks

If you have a high dollar item you're consigning you shouldn't have to give up a seller's commission. 90% of auction houses won't charge you one depending on your item. Best of luck in the consignment.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 10-31-2020, 03:07 PM
Mike

How does it work for taxes ? Does the AH report your sales to the IRS or is that up to you to do it ? See many items selling for over 100K, so was just wondering. thanks
Old 10-31-2020, 04:38 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

It's up to you to report.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:23 PM
J0hn H@rper

Another neophyte question:

Given the large buyers' premiums at the typical large AH, what are the sellers' costs or fees to consigning at one of them?
Old 10-31-2020, 08:43 PM
Tom Re.bert

Delivering in person or having them pickup your items may depend on the value. USPS Registered mail will only insure up to fifty thousand, so you may want to check FedEx on their insurance limits--good luck with your consignment.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:00 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

For a large value item have the AH send you a label or instructions how to ship so that you're covered on their private insurance policy.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:25 PM
Eric Perry

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your insight and suggestions.

I drove to drop the item off in person. The experience went quite well and the staff member with whom I worked was pleasant and professional.

Since the auction won't occur for a few months, I won't really know how much the item will bring until 2021. However, I am quite confident the hammer price will make this process worthwhile.

The item isn't technically a Pre-War card, so I won't go into specifics here regarding what was consigned. Plus, in my opinion, promoting it on the main page would be in poor taste.

Once again, thank you. I really do appreciate this board and its membership.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 11-01-2020, 07:23 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
If it's a really top notch special item you could speak with them about getting placed in the front of the auction, in the top 10 or 25 listings for example, featured in promotional emails, etc.

Don't demand some crazy high opening price. The AH will know where to open it. Sometimes a high opening price can be disastrous. Just like selling a house. You want excitement and bidding. It will get up to a reasonable # on its own if its a quality item.

Don't nitpick the write up, as these guys know what they are doing. At the end of the day breathless crazy write ups probably aren't that important. However, if you feel it misses something important or misstates something, definitely speak up quickly.

My other advice would be not to drive yourself watching the bidding. My experience lately has been that you get a flurry of bids the first two days (people essentially putting a marker down) and then it goes slow for weeks. Only to pick up again the last two days. I'm sure if you polled consignors three days before their auction closes 97% of them would say they are unhappy where the item is sitting. Are exceptions of course.
+1 to all of this.

+1 Also to the person who said do what makes you feel comfortable. I'm sure H&S will be happy to do what needs to be done to make you feel right about trusting your items to them.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-01-2020, 07:25 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
Delivering in person or having them pickup your items may depend on the value. USPS Registered mail will only insure up to fifty thousand, so you may want to check FedEx on their insurance limits--good luck with your consignment.
Fed EX and UPS will sell you whatever insurance you want, but then when it, god forbid, comes time to file a claim they point you to the fine print that states that they don't insure collectibles over $1000 and then they give you $1000 and refund you the insurance fees you paid.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 11-01-2020, 07:46 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Fed EX and UPS will sell you whatever insurance you want, but then when it, god forbid, comes time to file a claim they point you to the fine print that states that they don't insure collectibles over $1000 and then they give you $1000 and refund you the insurance fees you paid.
I have read/heard this numerous times. I figured it would actually be faster to drive the item to H&S than it would be to properly research the best way to ship and fully insure it.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 11-01-2020, 11:51 AM
Scott Russell

If your consignment is good enough they'd probably come to you, it's not that long a drive.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:58 PM
Val Kehl

Huggins & Scott are listed as attending the Philly Show the first week of December. Assuming this show isn't cancelled, this might have been the easiest and most enjoyable way to deliver your item to H & S.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:55 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

When people say the AHs will waive seller's fees for "high-value" items, how high are we talking about? $5K+? $10K+? $25K+? $100K+?
Old 11-02-2020, 07:13 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Is there anything I should know when walking into this?

Yes. Having been to the House of Cards / Huggins and Scott location several times, you should be warned that the folks there are exceedingly friendly

Scott

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2020, 07:58 AM
Dave Johnson

I consigned some things to H&S a few years ago that I took to the National and spoke to a couple of different auction houses.

H&S by FAR was the most pleasant to speak with in person, did not try to "pump" up my items etc. Bill took a lot of time to speak to me about my items.

It included a number of early Cub Team Photo packs and early Cubs world series programs.

Very happy how it was all handled with them start to finish and would certainly use them again.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:28 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Huggins & Scott are listed as attending the Philly Show the first week of December. Assuming this show isn't cancelled, this might have been the easiest and most enjoyable way to deliver your item to H & S.
I had considered going that route. However, that particular event will likely not occur.

This is not a knock on the show promoters. The county in which the show is typically held will likely not allow an indoor gathering of that size for the remainder of 2020.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 11-02-2020, 08:52 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
they are not going to Crazy Uncle you.
I like how you turned them into a verb, Jeff
Old 11-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
If you have a high dollar item you're consigning you shouldn't have to give up a seller's commission. 90% of auction houses won't charge you one depending on your item. Best of luck in the consignment.
I wish this were true. I found this not to be true at all.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:39 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
For a large value item have the AH send you a label or instructions how to ship so that you're covered on their private insurance policy.
Yes, I did that, Worked for me

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13