NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-13-2023, 09:44 AM
Eddie Zuercher

Default What's a 71 Topps EX-NM set worth

I came across a guy that has a really nice 71 set cards are all EX or better with at least half being NM. Does anyone know what a fair price range would be? Thanks for any input. Eddie
Old 02-13-2023, 10:56 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiez View Post
I came across a guy that has a really nice 71 set cards are all EX or better with at least half being NM. Does anyone know what a fair price range would be? Thanks for any input. Eddie
Well, it's all in the details of just how nice they really are, and which ones are the nicer ones.

But probably a couple grand to a few grand, give or take, depending on which cards are in NM condition.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-13-2023, 07:39 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Well, it's all in the details of just how nice they really are, and which ones are the nicer ones.

But probably a couple grand to a few grand, give or take, depending on which cards are in NM condition.
^ ^ ^ ^
This

The value of the set will follow the condition of the key cards:
  • Munson
  • Reggie
  • Blyleven
  • Rose
  • Ted SImmons
  • Bench
  • Garvey
  • Aaron
  • Nolan Ryan
  • Banks
  • Mays
  • Clemente

1971 Topps Baseball is a somewhat unusual set, price-wise. Small differences in condition can result in huge differences in value, especially as you approach the higher end of the grading scale. When evaluating the cards:
  • Be honest and candid. Don't approach grading with hopes and dreams.
  • Bring a black light. Amateur card doctors have been touching up the corners and edges for decades. They typically use black marker, which fluoresces differently than the natural black ink applied back in 1971.
  • As with all vintage cards, look for trimming. If (for example) the Clemente looks like an 8, but is trimmed, you're looking at a four-figure difference in value.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-14-2023, 03:28 AM

Agree with Eric above, particularly with advice regarding high end cards and the possibility of the black edges being re-colored. I found I purchased some 71 Topps years ago where the edges were retouched. I didn't have a blacklight with me at the time and missed the touch-ups.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:03 AM
Eddie Zuercher

Thank you everyone.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:55 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

If your friend is skeptical about your pricing, you might try showing him that there are several sets currently for sale on eBay (and even one on Amazon) that are in this price range. Obviously since they're still there, there's even room to argue that the price on these sites is on the high side. Otherwise, someone would snap them right up.

Agreed with Eric that this set is crazy condition sensitive. The black borders will do that. They look great when they're 100% intact, but all it takes it a little chipping and they start to look pretty gnarly. I shake my head every time thinking about people touching up the edges with a marker. But I guess that's to be expected - we all want nice things!

Certainly if you look up the key cards online, you'll see that going from like a PSA 6 to 7 to 8 to 9, the pricing jumps not just arithmetically but probably more like logarithmically. So (echoing Eric's notes again) small differences, particularly at the top end, make for incredible differences in pricing.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 02-14-2023 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:13 AM
octavio ranzola

check the high numbers please
Old 02-15-2023, 08:30 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
check the high numbers please
I agree with this statement, there are quite a few high numbers that add value to the set. High numbers plus the list Eric provided earlier are where the value is.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 02-22-2023, 12:39 PM
J0hn Collin$

I picked up a raw, EX-MT average '71 set from my LCS a little more than a year ago for $1200. I'm guessing this price in comparison to what you will find on eBay or elsewhere online is probably pretty low / difficult to beat - but they were trying to move it. I could sell the higher grade stars alone for $1200 combined probably...

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-22-2023 at 01:32 PM.