NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-27-2021, 08:16 AM
Scott Smith

Default Help with possible fake 1954 All Star Photo Pack card(s)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. I did not find anything on the Net54 "search" nor did I have much luck Googling this.....

I was excited to upgrade the card on right- 1954 All Star Photo Pack Ted, with card on left.

I strongly believe card I received is a repro/fake due to size, coloring on front and back, and actual clarity of photo.

Anyone run into these being faked before? Seller looked good and sold a bunch of these as part of a "set break."

Edit- any possibility of multiple print runs on these??

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ted 54 phot pack front.jpg (77.1 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg ted 54 phot pack back.jpg (26.4 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by mainemule; 02-27-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:46 AM
Scott Smith

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've had one Net 54 private message response and someone else on a FB group give me contrary opinions.

I've not found any evidence these were reproduced but these do look "different."

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2021, 12:50 PM
Michael

Since I really don't know too much about the '54 All-Star photo packs, I don't have a definitive answer for you. But, I collect Mantle and Yankee items. I have Yankee photo packs from various years and 3 years, 1958, 1959, and 1960, use the same photo that is in the '54 All-Star pack. I can't get my hands on the '58 photo pack right now, but, the '59 and '60 are both 6 by 8-1/2 inches (according to my notes the '58 is the same size). The '59 does appear to have more of a brownish tint than the '60. I also have the photo with a '54 All-Star envelope. It is 5-15/16 by 8-5/8 inches (slightly narrower and taller than the Yankee photo pack pictures). So, could one of your photos be from a Red Sox photo pack? That might explain the differences.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:40 PM
Scott Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Since I really don't know too much about the '54 All-Star photo packs, I don't have a definitive answer for you. But, I collect Mantle and Yankee items. I have Yankee photo packs from various years and 3 years, 1958, 1959, and 1960, use the same photo that is in the '54 All-Star pack. I can't get my hands on the '58 photo pack right now, but, the '59 and '60 are both 6 by 8-1/2 inches (according to my notes the '58 is the same size). The '59 does appear to have more of a brownish tint than the '60. I also have the photo with a '54 All-Star envelope. It is 5-15/16 by 8-5/8 inches (slightly narrower and taller than the Yankee photo pack pictures). So, could one of your photos be from a Red Sox photo pack? That might explain the differences.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I have most of the Sox team photo packs, full teams from 40s and 50s, and none look like this. Seller advertised as 54 All Star pack set break and this is the same image/format/design as known 54 All Star packs.

This remains a mystery......
Old 03-03-2021, 06:31 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemule View Post
Thanks for your thoughts.

I have most of the Sox team photo packs, full teams from 40s and 50s, and none look like this. Seller advertised as 54 All Star pack set break and this is the same image/format/design as known 54 All Star packs.

This remains a mystery......
My apologies, I messed up. I don't know where my head was yesterday. When I went to scan the photos this morning, I realized the photos I referenced were not the same as the '54 All Stars photo. But, I knew one of the Yankee photo packs had the same picture. It is the '56 Yankee Picture Pack Mantle, it is the same image as the '54 All Star photo. It also has slightly different dimensions. The '56 Yankee Picture Pack Mantle photo is 6-1/8 by 8-13/16 inches. It is slightly larger than the '54 All Star photo.

In the attached photos, the '56 Yankee Picture Pack photo is on the right of the two separate photos. Since the scale is off, I took a photo of the two of them together. The '56 Yankee PP photo is on the left in it. The last photo is the '56 Yankee Picture Pack envelope.

Could there be a similar Red Sox picture pack?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1954 All-Star Photo Pack.jpg (76.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1956 Picture Pack photo.jpg (79.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20210303_065710.jpg (71.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1956 Picture Pack envelope.jpg (76.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-03-2021, 04:22 PM
Scott Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
My apologies, I messed up. I don't know where my head was yesterday. When I went to scan the photos this morning, I realized the photos I referenced were not the same as the '54 All Stars photo. But, I knew one of the Yankee photo packs had the same picture. It is the '56 Yankee Picture Pack Mantle, it is the same image as the '54 All Star photo. It also has slightly different dimensions. The '56 Yankee Picture Pack Mantle photo is 6-1/8 by 8-13/16 inches. It is slightly larger than the '54 All Star photo.

In the attached photos, the '56 Yankee Picture Pack photo is on the right of the two separate photos. Since the scale is off, I took a photo of the two of them together. The '56 Yankee PP photo is on the left in it. The last photo is the '56 Yankee Picture Pack envelope.

Could there be a similar Red Sox picture pack?
This adds an interesting rub to my situation. I can't measure at the moment but my older/sepia colored photo is slightly smaller than the other. This seems similar to your two.

I have not ever seen a Sox 50's team pack with the name in the "small box" like with these supposed 54 AS pack photos. Nor have I ever seen other Sox players on this format.

Seller did have a Mantle like yours that went for a pretty penny- https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-All-St...p2047675.l2557

I do feel a bit better that mine is not a modern fake/repro but I am still digging.