NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:31 AM

I don't know what makes somebody stupid because they're tired of institutionalized racism. And I don't know what makes someone stupid for taking a stand against an injustice they feel they have the power to change. That is as American as it gets.

Last edited by packs; 09-29-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:35 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't know what makes somebody stupid because they're tired of institutionalized racism. And I don't know what makes someone stupid for taking a stand against an injustice they feel they have the power to change. That is as American as it gets.
They're stupid because they choose to do it while at work. That's what makes them stupid. Let them do it on their own free time, not at work.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:46 AM

The NFL can stop paying them any time it likes. It knows the consequences of that decision. These players hold immense power in their profession and I am of the opinion that it's great to see how they choose to wield that power.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The NFL can stop paying them any time it likes. It knows the consequences of that decision. These players hold immense power in their profession and I am of the opinion that it's great to see how they choose to wield that power.
Actually they hold no power. The NFL has a rule against what they are doing. The players have a labor agreement that they signed. The league has every right to discipline the players, they are just too weak to do it. The NBA came out today and said that it will punish players who protest during the national anthem.I guess you think the NBA will go out of business.

I saw a poll today. 62% plan to watch less football. 36% plan to buy less merchandise. 32% plan to not attend a game they previously planned on attending. I will not watch the NFL until they change their policy. I had planned on going to a 2nd game this year, no longer. I have no problem with players protesting, just not the anthem. What they are doing is disrespecting those who have served and died for this country. Claiming they are protesting something else doesn't change that fact.

Last edited by rats60; 09-29-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
They're stupid because they choose to do it while at work. That's what makes them stupid. Let them do it on their own free time, not at work.
I think you label them as "stupid" because you don't like it and would prefer not to see it. For you I offer the LPGA as an alternative on Sundays.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:13 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I think you label them as "stupid" because you don't like it and would prefer not to see it. For you I offer the LPGA as an alternative on Sundays.
No, once again, they're stupid because they tried (and did) make an example of Kaepernick, but the players didn't learn anything from that. I hope it happens with more players. Hey, I'm fine with a bunch of scrubs suiting up and playing on Sunday.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:18 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
No, once again, they're stupid because they tried (and did) make an example of Kaepernick, but the players didn't learn anything from that. I hope it happens with more players. Hey, I'm fine with a bunch of scrubs suiting up and playing on Sunday.
People vote with their feet. Either the protestors will win or the protestors that protest the protesters...... I not going to give my opinion on what side i am on but at least its not violent protests or causing anyone else to get hurt (ie. preventing an ambulance from going somewhere etc)

Again, i may be for or against it..but at least theres that..
Old 09-29-2017, 11:42 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Or perhaps the players are willing to take that chance because the issue is that important to them. Not sure why anyone would label that "stupid" but I have my suspicions as to why you choose that term. As a follow-up, if the flag and the anthem is that sacred to you and others, why not just boycott the games? I mean no one's forcing you to watch a bunch of stupid, unpatriotic African Americans disrespecting the military. Seems like complete hypocrisy to complain about it, condemn it, and then spend all day watching games. Just saying
Old 09-29-2017, 11:53 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
if the flag and the anthem is that sacred to you and others, why not just boycott the games?
Gee, there's a great idea. Somebody should start a thread about that. Oh, wait a minute, somebody already did.

I'm going out on a limb here, Dan, but I think that's what the OP meant when he said "Call for a National boycott of the NFL for Sunday November 12th, Veterans Day Weekend"

Any more brilliant suggestions?
Old 09-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Gee, there's a great idea. Somebody should start a thread about that. Oh, wait a minute, somebody already did.

I'm going out on a limb here, Dan, but I think that's what the OP meant when he said "Call for a National boycott of the NFL for Sunday November 12th, Veterans Day Weekend"

Any more brilliant suggestions?
You missed my point smart ass. I'm asking you specifically why not just boycott? Why wait til November 12th? I mean to both bitch and complain and then watch is a complete joke.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 09-29-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't watch major league sports much anyway but I don't think these guys should be protesting anything, while hard working Americans are paying to see them play football and take their minds off of the things they are protesting, at least for a few hours. Just the wrong venue. If I was a fan I wouldn't be any longer,. Again, just my right as everyone has the right to do what they want to. I do believe the players have every right to protest while in uniform. And I believe each owner has every right to fire them too. It's America. oh, and happy collecting too.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:10 PM

You have to admit though if you're there to watch football, the game is still played. The anthem has no bearing on the game.

Before Jackie, players, fans, owners, the media and society in general tried to keep African Americans from playing professional baseball. They succeeded for nearly a century. There is nothing that makes me prouder to be an American than to see those same disenfranchised people now in a position of power within their sports.

Last edited by packs; 09-29-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't watch major league sports much anyway but I don't think these guys should be protesting anything, while hard working Americans are paying to see them play football and take their minds off of the things they are protesting, at least for a few hours. Just the wrong venue. If I was a fan I wouldn't be any longer,. Again, just my right as everyone has the right to do what they want to. I do believe the players have every right to protest while in uniform. And I believe each owner has every right to fire them too. It's America. oh, and happy collecting too.
I agree Leon, if you don't like it don't watch. Stand for something (no pun intended)

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 09-29-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Kyle May

So so SOOOOO many angles to this. Here is my breakdown and viewpoint(s).

1) First and foremost, we need to look at the person who started this movement - Colin Kaepernick. Yes, the racial minority person who has made millions in this country, and was raised by white people, had this to say about why he knelt for the Anthem: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." Again, a black person/person of color, who has made millions in this country and was raised by white people, said that. Additionally, he blatantly stated that he is protesting the flag, which represents this country, the freedoms of this country, and the ultimate sacrifice given to protect those freedoms.

2) Kaepernick's unemployment is due to his play on the field not equaling out the image risk that comes with hiring him. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. He chose to exercise his 1st Amendment rights to free speech and the right to protest at work. There are consequences that come with one's actions, and the consequences thus far have not violated The Constitution.

3) Nothing changed in this country to further any supposed "racial oppression" in the past year, so why are all of these players just NOW protesting the supposed social injustices? Why weren't they with Kaepernick last year?

4) As stated above, Kaepernick was protesting the Flag, and therefore protesting the Anthem & this country as a whole. The players that state they are with Kaepernick, that this has nothing to do with the Flag/the Anthem/the military, they're full of $#%!. That's EXACTLY what this has to do with. If you don't think this country provides each individual with the same freedoms/rights, then yes, you would be protesting the country.

5) I don't care if you want to protest, that's your Constitutional right. Just don't do it at your job that I and many others are paying the salary for. Now, with that being said, I am one that doesn't agree with their agenda/reason for protesting, but that's a topic for a different forum.

6) Taya Kyle (Chris Kyle's - American Sniper - wife) challenged the NFL to affect real change, instead of essentially being a bunch of lazy, cowardly "social justice warriors." Here is here letter to the NFL: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...er-to-nfl.html. She's dead-freaking-on. If you actually think there's social injustice/racial oppression in this country, then do something about it. Don't take a knee like a pansie; get out and put your money where your mouth is. Hold community events, work with the communities, families, and law enforcement to come together and build better relations. Taking a knee does NOTHING but drive a wedge into this country and create a bigger divide.

7) The league-wide protests took place after Trump called them all out. So now are you protesting racial oppression/social injustice, or are you protesting the President? By the way, he wasn't wrong about the product on the field suffering because of the penalties. Football is borderline unwatchable with all of the laundry consistently littering the field.

8) Don't ridicule me for being PO'd about this and making my voice heard. I have the same rights and freedoms as the next person, and it's hypocritical to say otherwise.

9) This "movement" loses even more credibility with me when the players stand for UK's Anthem (where the Slave Trade started) and never mention the Middle East/Asia, where there's the highest percentage of slaves. As well, don't complain about "racism" then hold up your fist to symbolize "black power." That furthers the racial issues in this country, as it symbolizes the empowerment of a skin color. SKIN COLOR DOES. NOT. MATTER.

10) There is some fault on both sides. The PA fire chief that referred the those who are kneeling as the n-word, etc. No place for that.

11) This whole "unity" thing is crap. You're getting hit where it hurts - your wallet - and now you're quickly working on damage control so you can stay rich and employed in this country that supposedly "oppresses" you. Just like the Browns RB Isaiah Crowell quietly giving money to the police union(s) after posting a picture of a police officer being decapitated. It's hollow. Stand with respect for the Anthem, put your tails between your legs, and go out and actually do something about your issues with this country.

12) The NFL and NBA have lost me, and quite possibly forever. Between the kneeling & what I view as a protest against this country, Curry/LeBron attacking Trump and those who voted for him, and Gregg Popovich saying that white people need to be made uncomfortable, I have better ways to allocate my money and time. I called DirecTV and had my FREE year long NFL Sunday Ticket subscription cancelled. I've seen a couple smarta$$ comments telling people who are boycotting the NFL to enjoy the LPGA tour on Sundays. Actually, I will enjoy watching baseball, golf, tennis, and NASCAR more, so thank you.

I love this country and everything it stands (oh there's that word again - stand) for. Is it perfect? Hell no, but it's the greatest damn country in this world and I take exception to anyone that wants to attack it in any way, shape, or form. Recognize the freedoms and opportunities that our Founding Fathers and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice have afforded us. Use those to constructively build a better society without destroying the framework. We have gotten so far away from being decent human beings and loving thy neighbor. God Bless you, yours, and America.

That's the best I have without being TOO political. Sorry Leon if this post breaks any rules.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 09-29-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Closed Thread