NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Default Buying graded cards with intentions to break free to resubmit for higher grades?

Posted By: MikeW

How many of you are in the habit of buying cards that you think could grade higher with intentions of breaking them free and resubmitting them?

Also, what are your percentages of success at obtaining higher grades?

Old 09-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Default Buying graded cards with intentions to break free to resubmit for higher grades?

Posted By: Joann

I've considered it on a few of my buys, but have never actually done it. With SGC cards I ususally like the look in the holder and keep it. With PSA I either keep it in the holder or break it out but never send it in. More just disorganized than anything else.

J

Old 09-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BobS

Hi Joann,

It's nice to hear that someone else has their collection in a disorganized state. I've got items in every room of my littlle house.(yes kitchen and bathroom included)

Regards.

Bob

returnaddress

Old 09-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

I try to buy raw mostly...

Because Beckett is the Rodney Dangerfield of vintage grading, I've cracked a dozen or so BVG's and submitted to SGC. The re-grading was surprisingly comparable and never a reject. But most buyers prefer SGC or PSA and the SGC holders look classier (but can be unsafe for thin or folded issues).

Old 09-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Just curious as to what you meant by SGC holders might be dangerous for thin or folded issues.

Thanks.

Bob

returnaddress

Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Bob,
I once owned a SGC T202 and because of the card design (akin to a restaurant menu), the raised player end worked it's way between the black gasket and the clear face. It's a design snafu in that the holder allows a gap and could be remedied by a thicker gasket. I was lucky to catch the flaw and made it a point to store this holder flat and not upright.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

Been a previous thread how a T222 card (really photograph paper) how it came out of the insert and crimped a corner.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I personally have had a least a couple hundred T202s graded by SGC in my posession. I have only had one come out of the gasket, just a little tap on the counter and it was back in place. now GAI on the other hand has some real problems with this on cards of all types.

I have cracked out and resubmitted, some success some dissapointments (a couple came back trimmed). Mostly to change from other holders to SGC.

Lee

Old 09-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Thanks, Steve, Rob, and Lee.

Bob

returnaddress

Old 09-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

Wouldn't you need a 6 grade or higher for most graded cards to start commanding a real premium though?

I don't know if there's any rule of thought on this, but it would seem to me that with pricing fluctuations, the average card would need to grade at least 2 grades higher to make it worthwhile. Any thoughts?

Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I don't agree. A one grade difference can be worth thousands of dollars on some issues. But for really expensive cards, who has the nerve to crack out a 7 and hope for an 8 - when you may get back a 6?

Old 09-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

Oh true, if we're talking about cards strictly in the $1,000 and up range....

Old 09-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I would think that you could make a profit buying/cracking/resubmitting if you bought the cards in person. However, if you try to do this based on scans, I bet that many which you receive will be lesser cards than you thought, and probably graded accurately.