NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-05-2016, 02:00 PM

Default 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson RC PSA 10 or BGS 9.5/10 card for review.

Hello everyone.

1980 Topps Rickey Henderson RC PSA 10 or BGS 9.5/10 card for review.

Wanted to get feedback on this card to know if I have a chance for either PSA 10 or BGS 9.5/10?

This is a very sharp card, but I just am unsure which one gives me a better chance. I have submitted many cards to PSA but never BGS and plan to sell shall I hit the goldmine. PSA has killed me with Minsizerq on cards that measure out including a few sharp examples such as this so I need to know if I am wasting my time submitting repeatedly or is this the typical way they punish you on a way towards a 10? lol

Using PSA as an example--When you have a card like this, do you submit at the $500 max level ($18 fee) and let them contact you to pay the $700 shall it hit the PSA 10 mark or do they expect you to pay up front to get the grade?

If it is only a PSA 9 I will probably keep it because my personal opinion is it has eye appeal stronger than that.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by murphy8276; 04-05-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:11 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Awesome card but I would say that centering is off R-L if you got out the ruler.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Awesome card but I would say that centering is off R-L if you got out the ruler.
If anything at all it was tilted so slightly because the camera angle was not straight. It is pretty close to 50-50 left to right in the center with measuring. Desktop ruler shows 47.5-52.5 at worst part of card.

Anything else holding it back and that is within the threshold of PSA 10 right? (not sure of BGS though)

Last edited by murphy8276; 04-05-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Glyn Parson

Default does not

look like a 10 to me looks like a very nice card, would not be shocked if they put an 8 on it though. Could 9 one corner just appears a tad touched so i say no 10.

Last edited by glynparson; 04-05-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
look like a 10 to me looks like a very nice card, would not be shocked if they put an 8 on it though. Could 9 one corner just appears a tad touched so i say no 10.
Which corner are you referring to out of curiosity so I can take a look at it? I know I saw a 9.5 with a pretty bad corner hit for a 9.5 IMO so I pulled up the ebay auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-R...YAAOSwvgdW2Mrj

I am not saying they would grade another that way, but definitely I have no corners like that.

Thank you for the feedback so far guys.

Last edited by murphy8276; 04-05-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:27 PM

I'm seeing just a touch of something on the top left corner on the back of the card. Seems like I'm seeing a touch of white there against the blue but it could just be a trick of the light since there is some glare there on the picture. Hard to tell for sure without being able to hold it. Definitely a very sharp card though.

I definitely think it could hit a BGS 9.5 would be crazy awesome if you scored a BGS 10 on it.
1954 Topps Raw Set: 219/250 (87.60%)
1955 Topps Raw Set: 192/206 (93.20%)
1956 Topps Raw Set: 267/340 (78.53%)
WTB thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221389
Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Default jewelers loupe

It is really hard to judge the Henderson from the photo. I use a loupe to check the corners of my cards and have pretty good success in selecting 10's. I have even better success eliminating the 8's and 9's before I blow the grading fee. You able to eliminate cards that look like a 10, but under the loupe have some issues. You can get a 30 x 21MM Jewelers Loupe on ebay for $6.50 to $6.75 with free shipping. The cost of one PSA sub.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:04 PM

Default Frosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post
Which corner are you referring to out of curiosity so I can take a look at it? I know I saw a 9.5 with a pretty bad corner hit for a 9.5 IMO so I pulled up the ebay auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-R...YAAOSwvgdW2Mrj

I am not saying they would grade another that way, but definitely I have no corners like that.

Thank you for the feedback so far guys.
Does the holder look frosted to anyone else? Maybe Mexico?
Old 04-05-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDean View Post
It is really hard to judge the Henderson from the photo. I use a loupe to check the corners of my cards and have pretty good success in selecting 10's. I have even better success eliminating the 8's and 9's before I blow the grading fee. You able to eliminate cards that look like a 10, but under the loupe have some issues. You can get a 30 x 21MM Jewelers Loupe on ebay for $6.50 to $6.75 with free shipping. The cost of one PSA sub.
Have a loupe as well as its a necessity to match PSA's guidelines. This one is good to go. I just wanted some opinions on where is best to submit this one and if I have any shot at all at a 10 or 9.5 since it is so far fetched usually for this card.

Here is a side by side next to two PSA 10's I could find online. One is on PSA's website so they believe Dimitri Young's upper right touched corner and off-center fit the bill...The back is also off quite a bit.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................

Last edited by murphy8276; 04-05-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Jay D Wi.ley

Its a great looking card. Most really nice 9s are almost impossible to distinguish from 10s in my opinion and from the 10s and 9s I have looked at. In my opinion, you have a better chance of winning the lottery, then PSA giving you a 10 on that card, unless you are an auction house or you do big volume with them. I know it shouldnt matter who the submitter is, but count me in the group who believes it does matter.
I hope I am wrong and you get a 10. Looks like a solid 9, but it wouldnt surprise me if it even came back an 8 or 8.5.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes13 View Post
Its a great looking card. Most really nice 9s are almost impossible to distinguish from 10s in my opinion and from the 10s and 9s I have looked at. In my opinion, you have a better chance of winning the lottery, then PSA giving you a 10 on that card, unless you are an auction house or you do big volume with them. I know it shouldnt matter who the submitter is, but count me in the group who believes it does matter.
I hope I am wrong and you get a 10. Looks like a solid 9, but it wouldnt surprise me if it even came back an 8 or 8.5.
+1 (On it matters who submits the card, even though it shouldn't).

It is a nice card and I would go with PSA. Biggest lottery payout.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 PM
je.sse @rnot

To the part of your question regarding service and fee level I would estimate the value raw. Even though a 10 is worth 30k or whatever it's not a 10 yet. Raw it's worth 100 or 200. Submit accordingly to save on the fees. It's very hard to get a 10 so hope for the best but don't be surprised if it comes back an 8 or 9.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Once pulled a Henderson from a pack of 80's Topps. Card look exactly like that except all the cards had a nick on the bottom right corner. Suffice it to say, I was bummed.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Steven Finley

My uneducated opinion. 70% chance of a 9. 25% chance of a 8. 5% chance of a 10. Just sub it repeatedly until it hits. Plenty have done it and plenty will.

Quote:
Does the holder look frosted to anyone else? Maybe Mexico?
I've yet to encounter a compromised BGS holder. If they're that good, more power to them.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Bill Gregory

It's a really nice card you have. I took it to Photoshop, and it's definitely within the parameters for a 10 grade on centering side to side.

You have to look at the population report. 14,489 '80 Topps Hendersons have been graded, by PSA, and only fifteen have been given a 10.

For me, BGS is my go to for modern. PSA for vintage, an SGC for pre-war. 1980 is right on the line for vintage/modern, but I still consider the '80 set vintage. Topps was still the only game in town. I personally view 1981 as the start of the modern era.

Good luck with the submission. That really is a beauty.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
I've been using a 10 x loupe from Bausch & Lomb. Looking at the 30 x 21MM on Ebay, and the same as listed on Amazon, a lot of posters are saying these provide nowhere near 30 x magnification. Which one are you using, and are you absolutely certain it's 30 x?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:38 AM
Ne@l K

sweet card!
I have been looking for a "perfect" PSA 8 for a few weeks now to no avail .... print dots on the As flag bug me the most, and your card has none

PSA is the correct choice

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I've been using a 10 x loupe from Bausch & Lomb. Looking at the 30 x 21MM on Ebay, and the same as listed on Amazon, a lot of posters are saying these provide nowhere near 30 x magnification. Which one are you using, and are you absolutely certain it's 30 x?
I'm not sure how close to 30 x the loupe really is, but I am satisfied with the magnification for checking jewelry, silver, art, and now cards. I also use an eye clops (toy) bionic eye that hooks to the TV and is 200 x. It takes two steady hands to use, so I couldn't get a good photo of what it really does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00002.jpg (73.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00005.jpg (93.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I'm not sure how close to 30 x the loupe really is, but I am satisfied with the magnification for checking jewelry, silver, art, and now cards. I also use an eye clops (toy) bionic eye that hooks to the TV and is 200 x. It takes two steady hands to use, so I couldn't get a good photo of what it really does.
I do something similar. I scan the card at 1200DPI and then hook my laptop to the TV. Amazing difference between the 13" laptop and 50" TV screens.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
To the part of your question regarding service and fee level I would estimate the value raw. Even though a 10 is worth 30k or whatever it's not a 10 yet. Raw it's worth 100 or 200. Submit accordingly to save on the fees. It's very hard to get a 10 so hope for the best but don't be surprised if it comes back an 8 or 9.
Thanks for answering this. I will send at the $18 level then, but hope for a call back to me accordingly to raise it to $700! (this is what I was told would happen should you hit a goldmine card like this)

Thanks guys for all the support and comments so far. I think PSA is the correct choice, I just had noticed a little more lenience with BGS giving some 9.5's easier than the PSA 10(which is worth a heck of a lot more) so maybe I will try PSA and if it lands a 9 because it is in the middle of 9-10 I will send to BGS afterwards hoping for an upgrade.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Thanks for answering this. I will send at the $18 level then, but hope for a call back to me accordingly to raise it to $700! (this is what I was told would happen should you hit a goldmine card like this)

Thanks guys for all the support and comments so far. I think PSA is the correct choice, I just had noticed a little more lenience with BGS giving some 9.5's easier than the PSA 10(which is worth a heck of a lot more) so maybe I will try PSA and if it lands a 9 because it is in the middle of 9-10 I will send to BGS afterwards hoping for an upgrade.
I had the same question when I first submitted a raw card to PSA. I was told by PSA if I was lucky enough to hit the "jackpot" and get a 10 on a similar card they would contact me to see if i want to pay for additional insurance in return shipping. They will not charge you for the higher service level.

And yes that card is worth a lot more in a PSA 10 holder than a BGS or BVG 9.5. I would agree that trying for that first is the best strategy. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I had the same question when I first submitted a raw card to PSA. I was told by PSA if I was lucky enough to hit the "jackpot" and get a 10 on a similar card they would contact me to see if i want to pay for additional insurance in return shipping. They will not charge you for the higher service level.

And yes that card is worth a lot more in a PSA 10 holder than a BGS or BVG 9.5. I would agree that trying for that first is the best strategy. Good luck.
Hmm. Interesting. I would have sworn I asked the same exact question and they told me they would expect the higher service level to be paid. The agent could have been wrong I suppose or maybe misunderstood the difference in service level and shipping insurance. They actually told me the reverse funny enough that you could not increase insurance coverage. lol Your version certainly makes more sense, but I kind of believed them charging $700 had it hot lottery status made sense too as they charge more for higher value cards. The agent then did say to be conservative when sending.

*I will make note that he did tell me that if you send in a Jordan Rc you do have to pay for the grade. Meaning to me that they do expect you to pay for obvious cards when they are sent, but maybe there are exceptions such as a Henderson which jumps 3 service levels between 9 and 10 grades?
Old 04-06-2016, 02:28 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Hmm. Interesting. I would have sworn I asked the same exact question and they told me they would expect the higher service level to be paid. The agent could have been wrong I suppose or maybe misunderstood the difference in service level and shipping insurance. They actually told me the reverse funny enough that you could not increase insurance coverage. lol Your version certainly makes more sense, but I kind of believed them charging $700 had it hot lottery status made sense too as they charge more for higher value cards. The agent then did say to be conservative when sending.

*I will make note that he did tell me that if you send in a Jordan Rc you do have to pay for the grade. Meaning to me that they do expect you to pay for obvious cards when they are sent, but maybe there are exceptions such as a Henderson which jumps 3 service levels between 9 and 10 grades?
It was a couple of years ago that I asked, and things certainly could have changed since then. But to me, if you paid for 10 day, or 2 week, whatever it is service, and it turns out your card is high grade, it doesn't make sense to retroactively charge a customer for express 1 day service. It does make sense to see if a card that is now worth 1000s or 10s of thousands of dollars should be insured for that amount.

Not everything that a company does makes sense to me though, so you may be right. That just wasn't my understanding.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:30 PM
je.sse @rnot

Either way though, $700 would be a very small price to pay for a PSA 10 Henderson rookie. Let's hope you find out one way or the other for sure.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Either way though, $700 would be a very small price to pay for a PSA 10 Henderson rookie. Let's hope you find out one way or the other for sure.
Definitely, I want that call asking to charge me $700 instead if that is the policy! It's like buying the grade. I believe they do not charge that much for the speed only necessarily, it is also due to the handling and the fact that head grader(s) will be assessing the card. It is sort of an assumption though.

Either way I think upping the insurance should be possible also so it is very likely the customer service rep was misinforming me.

Last edited by murphy8276; 04-06-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:09 AM
Bill Gregory

Wow, that level of magnification does make a big difference.

And, as for the $700 fee if you hit a 10, if they would allow it, you could fly out to their HQ, pick up the card, and fly back for far less.

I hope you hit the baseball card lottery.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:21 AM

I submitted this card last week at the $85 Super Express level because of the potential value and also because I had my tin foil hat on thinking that they might not grade it 9/10 if submitted at the $18 level. It came back an 8, which I guess shouldn't come as a surprise because it has just the slightest fraying along the upper left edge near the corner and the tiniest touch on the lower left. Both of these issues are no worse than the corner touch you referenced above in the Dmitri Young card that graded a 10. I think it's perfectly centered front and back, top to bottom. Color and everything else looks great to me but I'm no expert. Good luck in your quest to hit the lottery w/ this card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RH Front.jpg (60.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg RH Back.jpg (61.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg RH ULC.jpg (49.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg RH URC.jpg (46.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg RH LLC.jpg (69.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg RH LRC.jpg (44.7 KB, 83 views)
Old 04-09-2016, 12:34 PM

Nice card regardless of numerical grade, but obviously a PSA 10 would be a very welcome result.

Two other things to look for on this card are surface scratches and surface bubbles, which are fairly common on this issue. They can be really tough to see in scans, with surface bubbles sometimes only being evident when you hold the card at an angle with a flashlight shining on it.

Last edited by CW; 04-09-2016 at 12:37 PM.