NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Hey Brunswick, just a heads up, you have the e286 Ju Ju Drums Wagner listed as a portrait on your checklist. It's actually a batting follow through action pose. I used to own one, sadly, it rests in someone else's collection now.
Not a portrait… total graded pop is 3-5, two may be crossovers from SGC to PSA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0066.jpg (92.3 KB, 524 views)
Old 09-14-2023, 03:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
REA’s 10-day extended summer auction started today, and this m116 Sporting Life Wagner portrait (blue background total POP of 65) is already over $15K from nearly 70 bids (not my card, nor bidding on it):
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=153632

Based on the last 1910 Authentic graded Tip Top Bread auctioning for $30K, and % increases for other portrait issues like this, are Wagner portrait’s baseline moving in the direction of 1952 Topps Mick? With 739+/- total graded Wagner portrait cards across all issues and 2,500+/- 52 Topps Micks, there certainly are significantly fewer Wagners than Micks.
Hardly a typical 1.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-14-2023, 05:25 PM

Thanks, Excel and analysis updated.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:48 PM

Default Wagner

Great job, Brunswick!

Can you break down the two types of M116s? Did you conflate them for a reason (Beckett)? It would be nice to see how the blue and pastel compare on the Excel. Just thinking.....
Old 09-14-2023, 08:11 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As stated I own two 5s so I am delighted with the price, but I am curious what comps made you think going in it would go that high?
Maybe it was the house. Didn't PWCC do that with their clients? Probably not all that uncommon with most houses who have clients who are close with the house. Personally I would not be having chats about the value of cards I am interested in with an auction house.

Cannot say if he got a great deal or not, long or short term but he definitely set a comp and those who fear missing out will use that sale as the current benchmark. Expect to see even stronger prices paid on these for the near future.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Maybe it was the house. Didn't PWCC do that with their clients? Probably not all that uncommon with most houses who have clients who are close with the house. Personally I would not be having chats about the value of cards I am interested in with an auction house.

Cannot say if he got a great deal or not, long or short term but he definitely set a comp and those who fear missing out will use that sale as the current benchmark. Expect to see even stronger prices paid on these for the near future.
Yeah I remember a guy who posted about a PSA 9 52B Musial here who was actually bragging about how he had reviewed his target price with Brent (I guess it made him seem self-important?) and lo and behold that's where it went. LOL. And not surprisingly it later was identified by Blowout as recolored. Oops.

No idea about the Wagner except still waiting to hear from the winner on what he based his expectancy of a 50K price.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-14-2023 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:24 PM
Chase

Quote:
Yeah I remember a guy who posted about a PSA 9 52B Musial here who was actually bragging about how he had reviewed his target price with Brent (I guess it made him seem self-important?) and lo and behold that's where it went. LOL. And not surprisingly it later was identified by Blowout as recolored. Oops.

No idea about the Wagner except still waiting to hear from the winner on what he based his expectancy of a 50K price.
Based on his last post I am guessing he is not reading this thread closely (due to excitement...his word not mine). Maybe he is not here to provide answers but merely to make announcements.

Amazing, if true, on the dude with the 52B Musial. Seems a lot of PWCC's buyers trusted him to have conversations about card values.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:38 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Always nice to see a run up in values on cards that long time collectors now have a choice to cash in or not. I've always had a sense during the run up that "investors" looked for guidance from hobby "experts" on where to invest their money for the greatest ROI, unfortunately some of those experts own an AH, which is a recipe for a conflict of interest disaster.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-14-2023, 08:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Based on his last post I am guessing he is not reading this thread closely (due to excitement...his word not mine). Maybe he is not here to provide answers but merely to make announcements.

Amazing, if true, on the dude with the 52B Musial. Seems a lot of PWCC's buyers trusted him to have conversations about card values.
The guy just came on here like he was so cool. A big shot. (The Musial guy)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-14-2023 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Always nice to see a run up in values on cards that long time collectors now have a choice to cash in or not. I've always had a sense during the run up that "investors" looked for guidance from hobby "experts" on where to invest their money for the greatest ROI, unfortunately some of those experts own an AH, which is a recipe for a conflict of interest disaster.
This hobby is a walking conflict of interest. Starting with owners and employees submitting their own cards for grading, and it goes from there. Just how it is. Stuff.... oh I need not say it again.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:11 PM
Rob

I don't see where he posted anything unusual. He said "Hey, gang, I bought this card." like everyone else does.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I don't see where he posted anything unusual. He said "Hey, gang, I bought this card." like everyone else does.
The Musial guy.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:15 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
This hobby is a walking conflict of interest. Starting with owners and employees submitting their own cards for grading, and it goes from there. Just how it is. Stuff.... oh I need not say it again.
Which always leads me back to the collector/investor dichotomy, I don't know the first thing about investing in cards, my gig is real estate, I do know exactly what I want to collect for my PC with no regard to investing.

-
Old 09-14-2023, 09:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Which always leads me back to the collector/investor dichotomy, I don't know the first thing about investing in cards, my gig is real estate, I do know exactly what I want to collect for my PC with no regard to investing.
Reminds me of the SNL New Shimmer commercial:

Wife: New Shimmer is a floor wax!

Husband: No, new Shimmer is a dessert topping!

Wife: It’s a floor wax!

Husband: It’s a dessert topping!

Wife: It’s a floor wax, I’m telling you!

Husband: It’s a dessert topping, you cow!

Spokesman: Hey, hey, hey, calm down, you two. New Shimmer is both a floor wax and a dessert topping!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-14-2023 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Great job, Brunswick!

Can you break down the two types of M116s? Did you conflate them for a reason (Beckett)? It would be nice to see how the blue and pastel compare on the Excel. Just thinking.....
Yes, have updated the Excel to break out M116 POP by color and updated the %es.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:38 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Reminds me of the SNL New Shimmer commercial:

Wife: New Shimmer is a floor wax!

Husband: No, new Shimmer is a dessert topping!

Wife: It’s a floor wax!

Husband: It’s a dessert topping!

Wife: It’s a floor wax, I’m telling you!

Husband: It’s a dessert topping, you cow!

Spokesman: Hey, hey, hey, calm down, you two. New Shimmer is both a floor wax and a dessert topping!
Yea, I don't know how to do that with cards, I'm fortunate that the cards in my PC have increased in value but that's not by design, it's my PC and I'm a collector at heart. Now if someone here would just sell me their Zeenut Jimmy Lewis I would be able to sleep more soundly.

-
Old 09-14-2023, 09:58 PM
Rob

Quote:
The Musial guy.
Oh, I see, I don't remember him. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:20 AM
Mike
mi.ke gia.m

I based my 50k rational on previous sales. Tip top bread wagner went for 120k in may heritage auction. In that same auction i paid 31k for a 5 pastel portrait. In the current REA auction the blue bckgrnd Wagner is now up to 25k (w the vig) and its a 1 rated. I guess i just felt comfortable paying 50k. I also picked up the 21 Koester Ruth PSA 6 in memory lane , 1929 Roger Peets Ruth, and 1916 Globe store Ty Cobb.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:26 AM

Thanks brunswickreeves for adding the E91C to your list. I checked the PSA pop report, and they show 60 total, so that amount could be added as well.

And a couple of little cleanup items on the list:

E254 Colgans Chips have two separate listings that should be combined, with
"1909-11 Colgan's Chips" and "1909 Colgan's Chips Stars of the Diamond". I think the best combination title for it would be "1909-11 E254 Colgan's Chips Stars of the Diamond".

And the Tom Baker Game listing should read "Tom Barker Game".

Great list...I really like the collaborative efforts of the community when it comes to making lists like these be the best they can be.

Brian - eduted to correct net54 ID of brunswick...I originally identified him as brunswicksteve !

Last edited by brianp-beme; 09-15-2023 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:37 AM

Just noticed that E105 Mello Mints is duplicated on the list.

Brian
Old 09-15-2023, 10:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

When did prices on the pastel and blue diverge so much? I paid fairly similar prices for mine in the same general time frame.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:45 AM
Danny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Just noticed that E105 Mello Mints is duplicated on the list.

Brian
I noticed that too and sent him the info earlier today.

Here is the breakdown for the e105 Mello Mints:

Batting - PSA: 12 / SGC: 13 / Total: 25
Throwing - PSA 7 / SGC 1 / Total: 8

I own one of each pose.
3) Crawford
4) Magee
5) O'Hara

N172 Want List
1) Phenomenal Smith (all poses and variations)

Last edited by Danny Smith; 09-15-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
When did prices on the pastel and blue diverge so much? I paid fairly similar prices for mine in the same general time frame.
In my experience blue (for all M116s) have always been more expensive and desirable than the pastel. Maybe that margin has grown lately, but I don’t think so- I just think the price of both types of Wagners have grown such that $5k vs $8k is now $50k vs $80k
Old 09-15-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks brunswickreeves for adding the E91C to your list. I checked the PSA pop report, and they show 60 total, so that amount could be added as well.

And a couple of little cleanup items on the list:

E254 Colgans Chips have two separate listings that should be combined, with
"1909-11 Colgan's Chips" and "1909 Colgan's Chips Stars of the Diamond". I think the best combination title for it would be "1909-11 E254 Colgan's Chips Stars of the Diamond".

And the Tom Baker Game listing should read "Tom Barker Game".

Great list...I really like the collaborative efforts of the community when it comes to making lists like these be the best they can be.

Brian - eduted to correct net54 ID of brunswick...I originally identified him as brunswicksteve !
Thanks, all suggested edits made to Excel and %es. Agree, is a fun collaborative project!
Old 09-15-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Smith View Post
I noticed that too and sent him the info earlier today.

Here is the breakdown for the e105 Mello Mints:

Batting - PSA: 12 / SGC: 13 / Total: 25
Throwing - PSA 7 / SGC 1 / Total: 8

I own one of each pose.
Thanks, have made suggested edit to split out in the Excel.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks, all suggested edits made to Excel and %es. Agree, is a fun collaborative project!
Thanks for doing all the hard work. Now here is some more...the E254 Colgan's Chip listing should be highlighted blue, as it is one of the right facing cards.

Brian
Old 09-15-2023, 02:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
In my experience blue (for all M116s) have always been more expensive and desirable than the pastel. Maybe that margin has grown lately, but I don’t think so- I just think the price of both types of Wagners have grown such that $5k vs $8k is now $50k vs $80k
Hmmm... either I got an exceptional deal on the blue, or I paid too much (at the time) for the pastel. More likely the latter lol.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-15-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for doing all the hard work. Now here is some more...the E254 Colgan's Chip listing should be highlighted blue, as it is one of the right facing cards.

Brian
Originally the blue highlights were right facing portrait cards in color, and green highlights were for both right and left facing portrait cards in non-color.

I’ve edited the Excel so it now summarizes by right facing portrait in color (blue highlight), right facing portrait in non-color (gold highlight), left facing portrait (green highlight) and batting/throwing/other (no highlight), as well as by grand total # and %.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally the blue highlights were right facing portrait cards in color, and green highlights were for both right and left facing portrait cards in non-color.

I’ve edited the Excel so it now summarizes by right facing portrait in color (blue highlight), right facing portrait in non-color (gold highlight), left facing portrait (green highlight) and batting/throwing/other (no highlight), as well as by grand total # and %.
E254 Colgan's Gold it will be!

Brian
Old 09-15-2023, 04:57 PM

makes me wonder what this 1 of 1 is worth in todays market...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uncat wagner.jpg (43.3 KB, 392 views)
Old 09-15-2023, 05:11 PM
Craig

Beauty , Scott!
Old 09-15-2023, 05:23 PM
Craig

I like symmetry in my collection

How it began
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1896-Paterson -Wagner.jpg (199.6 KB, 412 views)
Old 09-15-2023, 05:23 PM
Craig

How it ended
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1917-paterson-wagner (1).jpg (143.7 KB, 407 views)
Old 09-15-2023, 05:28 PM
Brian T.

Those are gorgeous, Craig! I'd never seen that last one before. Thanks for sharing those!
Old 09-15-2023, 07:04 PM

Craig, is that a CDV? How big is it? I have the same image in a cab-photo. Can’t be many of these images around…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0068.jpg (107.1 KB, 397 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 09-15-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:38 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
There are also two different 1911 T5 Pinkerton Cabinets poses. If I am reading the pop reports correctly, PSA has one of pose 853 (vertical, fielding) and one of pose 872 (horizontal, batting) and SGC has four of 853 and one of 872.
I did not see these added to the spreadsheet. Example attached for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T5 Wagner 003.jpg (93.9 KB, 397 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:23 AM

Default Great Thread

Nicely entertaining thread, Peter.

The 1913 Voskamps Coffee card appears to be missing from the list (could just be my eyes). Great spreadsheet, BTW.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:33 AM

Default Wagner

Can there really be only 37 copies of the 1916 M101-4 Sporting News "golfing" Wagner (well, 38 if you include mine, which is, unfortunately, in the original GAI holder from 20 years ago)?
Old 09-16-2023, 09:22 AM
Bob

Default Wagner increase

I am not surprised at growth in Wagner prices. The t-206 has some influence on other Wagners. For example the Tip Top Wagner has about the same population as the T-206 and is a beautiful card but is still available at about 5% cost of the t-206. So not surprising there is room to go up significantly. I see the Heritage Tip Top is already at 100k.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:34 AM
Jim Reynolds

Has the updated spreadsheet been posted yet?
Old 09-16-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Has the updated spreadsheet been posted yet?
Yes I’ve updated the Excel with the Pinkerton Cabinets and Coffee cards. If any errors or omissions, please advise and I’ll revise further. In the meantime, I’m looking into the M101-4 issues and counts. Thanks and happy collecting!
Old 09-16-2023, 11:49 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Yes I’ve updated the Excel with the Pinkerton Cabinets and Coffee cards. If any errors or omissions, please advise and I’ll revise further. In the meantime, I’m looking into the M101-4 issues and counts. Thanks and happy collecting!
Is there a link? I must have missed it.

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 09-16-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:49 PM
Michael

There is no link but there is a screenshot in post 15 that is updated as new information becomes available.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 09-16-2023, 12:57 PM

For most of us asleep by 11pm last night, this Fan Craze hit eBay and sold in under an hour for nearly $10K!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0235.jpeg (135.1 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by brunswickreeves; 09-16-2023 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:10 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
There is no link but there is a screenshot in post 15 that is updated as new information becomes available.
So simple, no wonder I missed it. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2023, 01:31 PM
Rob

REA results for m116 Wagner blue 2017 SGC 20 $2400, 2018 SGC 40 $3600.

Why has it gone up 10 fold?
Old 09-16-2023, 02:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
REA results for m116 Wagner blue 2017 SGC 20 $2400, 2018 SGC 40 $3600.

Why has it gone up 10 fold?
10x would only be 36K but the PSA 3 just sold 53K, so 15x. Several posts above have offered explanations, but it's still hard for me to fathom.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:11 PM
Chase

Quote:
10x would only be 36K but the PSA 3 just sold 53K, so 15x. Several posts above have offered explanations, but it's still hard for me to fathom.
Feels more to me like a fear of missing out.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Feels more to me like a fear of missing out.
Perhaps, but I think a card still has to start moving a lot before that fear kicks in and then it feeds on itself?

Old 09-16-2023, 02:22 PM
Chase

Quote:
Perhaps, but I think a card still has to start moving a lot before that fear kicks in and then it feeds on itself?
When a card that has had a relatively stable price all of the sudden jumps, it could at first be due to another factor but after a sale or two it will catch the eye of other collectors who will want to get in on the ride, imo and fear missing out. What made the first persons (since it supposedly takes at least 2 real bidders) bid more might not be why the next interested parties are bidding even more he next time the card is offered.