NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2016, 07:26 PM

Default Welcome

Thanks for joining and linking your blog.

The visuals of the Japanese cards are great. Although I have been fascinated by them since seeing a small offering in either Stan Martucci's or Bruce Yeko's catalogues from the mid-70's, aside from a couple of mid-90's BBM packs, I have never pulled the trigger.

One of my favorite books is "You Gotta Have Wa."
Old 08-26-2016, 11:35 PM
David Kathman

Welcome, Sean! Here's an article about Japanese baseball cards that appeared in volume V, issue 5 of The Sport Hobbyist in early 1964. I'm not positive, but I think it's the earliest article about Japanese cards to appear in an American hobby publication.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:32 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Welcome to the board!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1276.jpg (76.5 KB, 416 views)
Old 08-27-2016, 06:27 PM
Michael

Konnichiwa Sean-san!

Like some others on the board, I lived in Japan for a few years. I was there from Jan. 1969 to May 1971. My dad was in the Air Force and we were stationed at Itazuke AB. The base was about 20 some odd miles east of Fukuoka. Unfortunately I was in high school then and had stopped collecting baseball cards just prior to moving there, so I have no baseball related items from my time there. I did watch it on TV though. But enough of my reminiscing, welcome to the board!

David - that article caught my eye. The guy who wrote it was from Sasebo. There was (maybe still is, I don't know) a naval base there. We went there for a baseball tournament one weekend. Loads of fun.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Kin K.

Great thread, I have enjoyed seeing the cards and look forward to seeing more of them.

Sean, I tweeted from my blog account a link to your blog. I look forward to checking it out more!

-kin
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 08-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Welcome to the Net54 Family
Old 08-28-2016, 07:18 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
Looking for some cards of Leon Lee. Please let me know if you have any to trade or sell
I`ll let you know if I get any. I have quite a few of his cards from the early 80s, but no doubles at the moment. Let me know which ones you are looking for and I can keep an eye out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Welcome to board Sean.

What were the earliest Japanese cards produced? Which ones were considered "The Holy Grail" of Japanese cards? Do you know of any good publications out there that talk about Japanese cards? Are most of the consumers Americans that collect the cards?
Good questions! I`m not sure what constitutes the "first" Japanese card, but they have been around since before the war, mostly in the form of Menko, which are cardboard game cards. There is a pretty good overview of the history of Japanese cards here: http://www.robfitts.com/japanese-baseball-cards.html

The main guide (in English) to vintage Japanese cards is by Gary Engel (here http://www.prestigecollectibles.com/Item.aspx?ID=1102 ). There is also a Japanese language publication called Sports Card Magazine, which is sort of the equivalent of Beckett for Japanese collectors.

There is a pretty big collector market here, not as big as the US. Mostly it is Japanese collectors. It developed a bit later in the US though. Calbee, which is kind of the Japanese version of Topps (well, its way different than any card maker in the US, but at least in terms of the company that has produced annual sets for the longest) put out its first set in 1973, while BBM (which is a bit more like a conventional US card maker) put out its first set in 1991.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBailey2 View Post
Thanks for joining and linking your blog.

One of my favorite books is "You Gotta Have Wa."
Thanks! I love You gotta Have Wa, it is by far my favorite book on Japanese baseball. Whiting used to do a regular column in the Japan Times but he hasn`t been writing much recently, I wish he would get back into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Welcome, Sean! Here's an article about Japanese baseball cards that appeared in volume V, issue 5 of The Sport Hobbyist in early 1964. I'm not positive, but I think it's the earliest article about Japanese cards to appear in an American hobby publication.
Wow, that is an amazing find, I had no idea American collector interest in Japanese cards had its origins that far back. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Konnichiwa Sean-san!

Like some others on the board, I lived in Japan for a few years. I was there from Jan. 1969 to May 1971. My dad was in the Air Force and we were stationed at Itazuke AB. The base was about 20 some odd miles east of Fukuoka. Unfortunately I was in high school then and had stopped collecting baseball cards just prior to moving there, so I have no baseball related items from my time there. I did watch it on TV though. But enough of my reminiscing, welcome to the board!

David - that article caught my eye. The guy who wrote it was from Sasebo. There was (maybe still is, I don't know) a naval base there. We went there for a baseball tournament one weekend. Loads of fun.
Oh interesting. I lived in Fukuoka city for 4 years when I was a student. In fact the university I studied at was actually hit by an F4 Phantom that crashed into it (fortunately the pilots ejected safely) from Itazuke base in the late 60s, maybe while you were there? (way before my time!)

It was a great place to live. There still is a navy base in Sasebo BTW.

Quote:
Great thread, I have enjoyed seeing the cards and look forward to seeing more of them.

Sean, I tweeted from my blog account a link to your blog. I look forward to checking it out more!
Oh thanks a lot, I will be sure to post more! Thanks for the tweet too!

Last edited by seanofjapan; 08-28-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:13 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Welcome to the board!
That is a cool looking display. Can you elaborate on the cards?