NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Scott

Default How much do you rely on TPAs for an auto u own?

For me, it’s studying known good sigs and making a decision based on my thoughts and the photos. Seems many want only TPA stuff? How bout u guys?
Old 02-09-2020, 12:08 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

For me, the third-party authentication is a definite plus, but by itself, it really means nothing.

I look at the signature and compare it to others I know or feel are authentic; if it doesn't look good to me, then I pass on it, regardless of whether or not it has third-party authentication.

Yes, there are signatures that I won't even consider buying unless they've been authenticated, but I pass up a lot of "atypical" signatures that have been authenticated, even by the top companies, simply because they don't look like I think they should.

I guess, in a nutshell, it comes down to "Eye Appeal"; if the item doesn't have it on it's own, no third-party authentication is going to provide it.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 02-09-2020, 12:41 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

For the most part, it means nothing to me. 99% of my personal collection has no authentication. For most collectors and buyers, it means everything. It’s hard to sell an item that is not already authenticated. That is part of the reason some autograph dealers have got out of the business. Like it or not, they’re here to stay.

Most of the autographs I buy for resale are not “authenticated” by a third party, but most I sell are. People are willing to pay up for it, so you just have to build it in to the price. It’s sad but true.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Steve Birmingham

I don't have many at all, and none are authenticated.

They're also mostly all cheap, so my really basic feeling of if the item and overall way I find it and whether it makes any sense works so far.

If I was planning on spending a lot of money I'd really want to learn a lot about that specific item before buying. I follow some of the threads, and after a few years, I'm still only at about 50% on some common ones. So not spending big bucks on anything yet...

I should correct that, some of the ones in a collection I bought have random certs, usually from a show or appearance.

Last edited by steve B; 02-10-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: corected a mistake
Old 02-10-2020, 01:25 PM

I have a few items that are PSA slabbed (3-4), but none of these were submitted by me, FWIW.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

TPG means very little to me as well. I have seen them make obvious mistakes... most glaringly with the signed T206 debacle about a year ago. I don't buy an autographed piece unless I am personally comfortable with it (TPG or no).

But unfortunately, the market seems to dictate that TPG is necessary when selling an item. Of the last 10 autographed items I've consigned to auction, the Auction House has insisted I pay for TPG, as part of the agreement... 9 times out of the ten!

Having the TPG Letter accompany the item makes it far easier for them to sell, absolves them of any liability, and realizes a higher price. So I fully understand why they insist upon it. I just don't like the fact that it's deemed necessary... not to mention the additional cost involved. All part of the game, I suppose.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:28 PM

Should be important to everyone looking to sell their collection. If you're ever going to sell a highly collected autograph like Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan I think you'll find very little interest in the piece with your own opinion attached to it. The same piece authenticated by a TPG will bring multiples in price at auction.

Last edited by packs; 02-10-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:36 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

The TPA's opinion of an autograph is almost useless to me when I am buying. I have never and will never rely on them as the most important thing. Is it nice to have? Sure why not, but I will never spend money on them for my own collection.

The TPAs certification is different matter when coming to selling. I agree that the way things are now, having a cert of some sort improves saleability and return. This is the unfortunate way of the world as far too many people only rely on the cert.

I have sent things in for slabbing to various TPAs, but all were things I was about to sell. I have nothing in my personal collection that I sent in for approval.

I have stated many times that I will get the approval of a TPA, whichever is considered the most likely to bring me profit, when, and only when, I am selling things. Doing it beforehand is a wasted opportunity, IMO, as you could spend all that money buying more autos that have the chance to appreciate.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 02-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Ben North

I have ZERO faith in TPAs. I have sold off most of my autos except for 2 people I still collect. When I did collect them even if slabbed I would contact people I trusted and ask for their opinion before I bought the autograph.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:15 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I have ZERO faith in TPAs. I have sold off most of my autos except for 2 people I still collect. When I did collect them even if slabbed I would contact people I trusted and ask for their opinion before I bought the autograph.
+1
Old 02-13-2020, 02:33 AM
Sam Lemoine

I don't rely on them, but I want them. I have probably 25000 or more signatures. I can't afford to slab them. But, I am slabbing the ones that have value. Why? Well, I am in my mid 50's. My dad collected coins and died at 65. I inherited a coin collection. It sits in my garage. I don't know how to sell it. I have instructed my wife to sell my slabbed items as authenticated to maximize her return. Maybe this won't happen for 40 years. Maybe it happens this year. Either way, I want it easier for her.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:24 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
I don't rely on them, but I want them. I have probably 25000 or more signatures. I can't afford to slab them. But, I am slabbing the ones that have value. Why? Well, I am in my mid 50's. My dad collected coins and died at 65. I inherited a coin collection. It sits in my garage. I don't know how to sell it. I have instructed my wife to sell my slabbed items as authenticated to maximize her return. Maybe this won't happen for 40 years. Maybe it happens this year. Either way, I want it easier for her.
Sell now and take your wonderful wife someplace special to her.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:26 PM
Jeff Lazarus

The people on these boards are a unique group of collectors. I feel like most people here have been collecting seriously for at least 25 years, with many people here collecting for 50+ years. You have some of the most knowledgeable collectors in the world here.

Most of the collecting world is not nearly that knowledgeable about the hobby and by the same token about detecting forgeries vs authentic copies of different players.

I feel like an absolute amateur here reading many of the posts here, and I've been in the hobby for 2+ decades. For people here, it's not a surprise that many don't see the need to bother with 3rd party authentication. For 99% of collectors though it's necessary.

For me, there are a few players and types of items I am comfortable picking up without authentication, but in many cases I want it as reassurance. I will pass on authenticated items that I don't like the look of.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:02 AM
Sam Lemoine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Sell now and take your wonderful wife someplace special to her.
Oh, I take her all over the world. Otherwise I would have a much bigger collection. 😊
Old 02-14-2020, 04:35 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post

I am on the same page as you being in 50yo range and being concerned for my family. My approach though is different. I am leaving instructions on which auction houses to contact and have them do all the leg work. Sure she might have fees to pay for from the proceeds, but with a large enough collections those might be waived, and she won't have worry about whether or not any authenticator we have items in are now disreputable or not. They will choose who to use to maximize return for both her and them.
There is no right way to play it as I think both work.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL