NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default Need Some Info On Older Stadium Seat Parts

Posted By: Al Simeone

I wanted to check with some of the experts on stadium seats. I have a pair of older yankee stadium seats but the problem is the curved section (wood) of the lower section is bad on a few slats. Is there a company out there that makes replacement slats for the stadium seats. any help would be appreciated. Thankyou in advance Al

Old 10-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Al,

You might try to contact these guys.

http://hometown.aol.com/r1ch1ea/yankee.html

I think I have some other "seat" info somewhere. Let me look around.

By the way, the curved seats were installed in the 1940's. As I understand it, they replaced the free standing chairs that used to be in the lower boxes. The straigt back chairs were from the cheap seats going back to the 1920's.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

OK, this was the other one I was thinking of.

http://www.authenticstadiumseats.com/

Old 10-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jim,
I have tried them and they said no they didnt have any extra parts. As Im finding out the curved lower sections did come in different sizes. My pair happens to be the bigger size . Probably meaning that they were just a pair in the field lower section that were by themselves. Not connected to a long run of seats. If you come up with any other info just let me know. The problem is you need a steamer to bend the wood. I may have to go to a boat builder to see if they can steam a piece for me.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Al, good luck with your quest, but I would recommend leaving the slats the way they are and to keep the seat all original.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Greg,

I know what you're saying, but there are two sides to that argument.

I have an original Yankee Stadium seat that was repainted before it was given to me for my 18th birthday in 1973. The paint on it is now 35 years old, yet it is deemed "good enough" by the wife, that it sits in my home office, right inside the front door of the house. It's one of the first things you see when you walk in.

I also have a double seat that came from the old Boston Garden. It is (mostly) an ugly orange color. One slat was replaced by the Garden at some point, but never repainted. It's just raw wood. I can't negotiate to get it out of my garage. If I were to clean it up, scrape the gum off, and paint it (some color other than orange), it too could fit in the office.

What to do?

Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Greg,
I agree with you but the 1 slat is so bad that its broken in half.And the paint is peeling. Plus all those seats have been painted many times and as I have been told as long as you dont sand down past the orig. green its fine. I agree with Jim I want to bring them in my office but I would be the laughing stock if I put them in looking like they do now. And no one would want to sit on them. The seats seem to sell for the same price restored or un restored. I guess I will have to just paint them again, the orig. blue color is still avialiable from sherwin williams. If you come up with any other sites for parts let me know. I do have a complete extra left side iron section for one of them.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I don't know if they are the same, but here are pictures of some curved slats from Tiger Stadium seats that I still have. They are 19" x 2 1/2" x 1/2". These slats are for the back of the seat.

joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the pics. I would love them to work but I dont think they will. As you said they are backs and I need bottoms pretty close but the measurements I need are 19 3/16 - long tape stretched from tip of curve to tip of curve 2 3/4- wide and just a shade under 3/4 inch thick. The curve in the center if you measure up with the piece sitting on a flat surface is 1 inch.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Al,

One more thought. I just got the new Leland's catalog. They have a few Yankee Stadium seats in there. If I remember right, one is original. One is just repainted and the third sounds like it had a little more restoration work done (the listing says "all with original parts" or something like that.)

Perhaps someone at Lelands could steer you in the direction of a restoration guy.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jim,
I will look into that a little more. Al

Old 11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Just a little up date on the seat parts. I ended up finding someone at a cabinet shop who was willing to make me the slat. (believe me it was no small task in finding someone) I was given a call today and he said they were ready. I picked them up (he ended up making me 4) I only needed 1. I couldnt be happier! Funny part was the cost was $150 for 1 or for 4!! The real cost was to make the jig to curve it. Im telling you once painted you couldnt tell the difference,he did a great job!!! I will try and put a picture on. ButI will tell you it pays to do it the right way.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Great to hear Al. I'm not a purist on these seats. They were repaired all the time, in a half baked way, by the stadiums and arenas. Now, they should be used and appreciated by us!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Jim, Joe, Greg,
Here is the start of the repair work. We tried to leave as much of the old paint as possible. The slat has been replaced and is just perfect. The old blue paint was so bad and flaking that we had to remove most of it. We put the seats back together and will be ready for paint very soon. A great set of yankee seats![linked image]

Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Wont let me put any more pics on for some reason.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

That looks great Al.