NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You know, there's a really, really good argument for going on regardless of how many get sick and are sidelined--on a battlefield. The baseball park ain't a battlefield and the a sports season isn't a war. I would love to see sports resume but not at the cost of getting people sick. And these are meaningless exhibition games in the biggest asterisk season ever. Canned crowd noises and cutouts in the stands? What a joke. I guess to complete the synthetic experience if I decide to watch a game I should park my car a mile from my house and tuck a $20 under the wiper blade, then eat a bad hot dog and flush $10 down the toilet. And since I am in Los Angeles, find someone to beat the crap out of me in a parking lot.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-27-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
You know, there's a really, really good argument for going on regardless of how many get sick and are sidelined--on a battlefield. The baseball park ain't a battlefield and the a sports season isn't a war. I would love to see sports resume but not at the cost of getting people sick. And these are meaningless exhibition games in the biggest asterisk season ever. Canned crowd noises and cutouts in the stands? What a joke. I guess to complete the synthetic experience if I decide to watch a game I should park my car a mile from my house and tuck a $20 under the wiper blade, then eat a bad hot dog and flush $10 down the toilet. And since I am in Los Angeles, find someone to beat the crap out of me in a parking lot.
That's funny.. I will tip the waitress on the way out.

Personally, I think wearing face masks isn't political or about rights. It's common sense to wear one. I could hurt others by not wearing one. I will make the sacrifice of the little bit of discomfort until there is a vaccine or cure.( though we don't have a cure for the common cold yet)

Last edited by Leon; 07-27-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:08 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

So what if its not a normal season

You know in 1981 the the top 2 NL teams with the overall best record in the entire league didnt make the playoffs. teams played a different number of games for the season as well

"They had the best overall record in all of baseball. That was the Cincinnati Reds, who went 66-42 overall but did not make the playoffs. The St. Louis Cardinals, by the way, had the second-best overall record in the NL — 59-43 — and didn’t make the playoffs either. The Orioles had the same number of overall wins as the Yankees but had two fewer losses due to an uneven number of games played, yet they stayed home in October too. The Tigers had one more win than both of them"

Also there was a team in the 1970s that missed the playoffs by 1/2 game and played one less game then the team in front of them..
Old 07-27-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

Also there was a team in the 1970s that missed the playoffs by 1/2 game and played one less game then the team in front of them..
I never knew that about the 1972 Red Sox, they got screwed. I wonder if the strike had anything to do with that decision and MLB was pressed for time and didn’t want to delay the playoffs with two more possible games. ETA: after reading up on it, Bowie Kuhn said that absolutely no games lost to the strike would be made up after the matter was settled, and the Red Sox had a 1 1/2 game lead with four games left in the season including a winner take all three game series to end the season in Detroit. The Red Sox lost to the Orioles on a Sunday, lost two straight in Detroit on Monday and Tuesday to be eliminated, and then only winning the meaningless finale in Detroit.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 07-27-2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-27-2020, 04:14 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I never knew that about the 1972 Red Sox, they got screwed. I wonder if the strike had anything to do with that decision and MLB was pressed for time and didn’t want to delay the playoffs with two more possible games.
I cant imagine that do that now but just making a point that there are many traditions broken so who cares if this 2020 Covid year is all mixed up...there have been prior mixed up years with things people wouldnt stand for now and all within our lifetimes.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:21 PM
Bruce Mattioli

MLB tried although it might fail. I hate this Virus as most do.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:47 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default 1981 ... yuck

And tHat season was a complete sh*Is how. Not sure it supports the point you seemed to be making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
So what if its not a normal season

You know in 1981 the the top 2 NL teams with the overall best record in the entire league didnt make the playoffs. teams played a different number of games for the season as well

"They had the best overall record in all of baseball. That was the Cincinnati Reds, who went 66-42 overall but did not make the playoffs. The St. Louis Cardinals, by the way, had the second-best overall record in the NL — 59-43 — and didn’t make the playoffs either. The Orioles had the same number of overall wins as the Yankees but had two fewer losses due to an uneven number of games played, yet they stayed home in October too. The Tigers had one more win than both of them"

Old 07-28-2020, 12:43 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
And tHat season was a complete sh*Is how. Not sure it supports the point you seemed to be making.
well you still see trophies and ribbons and pennants riding high from that season....doesnt seem like people really sad it was played..