NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 01-24-2021, 09:31 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild View Post
Cool thread! I agree with a couple listed already: Beach Boys - Pet Sounds and Beatles - Rubber Soul.

I would add:
The Sonics - Here are the Sonics
Television - Marquee Moon
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Descendents - Milo Goes to College
The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge
The Replacements - Let it Be
The Replacements - Tim
Crazy, I’m listening to Script of the Bridge as I am reading this thread, and just finished listening to Joy Division. I was going to list those and The Jesus and Mary Chain Darklands, John Coltrane Bluetrain, Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions, the Damned Machine Gun Etiquette ,Blackbird, Blackbird Boracay Planet, Niva Feverish Dream...man I could go on. I’m listing those just to share some maybe, how would you say, less thought of or known albums? I love many of the already listed stuff, spent a year in Iraq listening to David Grey almost daily. Très fun.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 01-25-2021, 07:54 AM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Crazy, I’m listening to Script of the Bridge as I am reading this thread, and just finished listening to Joy Division. I was going to list those and The Jesus and Mary Chain Darklands, John Coltrane Bluetrain, Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions, the Damned Machine Gun Etiquette ,Blackbird, Blackbird Boracay Planet, Niva Feverish Dream...man I could go on. I’m listing those just to share some maybe, how would you say, less thought of or known albums? I love many of the already listed stuff, spent a year in Iraq listening to David Grey almost daily. Très fun.
It's crazy how good Script of the Bridge is from start to finish. It was so good, they had nowhere to go but down. I don't own, but I did try listing to their next two albums but they are nowhere close. I agree with Darklands and Machine Gun Etiquette as well. I could also go on about lesser known albums. I'm listing to the Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady right now and would add it to the list. Would also add The Modern Lovers - Self Titled Debut, The Gun Club - Fire of Love, Husker Du - Zen Arcade, Radio Birdman - Radios Appear, etc., etc. etc....

I highly recommend anything from The Replacements. They really do have something for everybody. I guess they are best known as an Alternative/College Rock type band that sang "Bastards of Young" and getting kicked off SNL. But they started as somewhat hardcore Punk, had an experimental rock phase, and later developed a Ska type sound. They are really underappreciated for some reason. "Let it Be" is similar to "Scriprt of the Bridge". It's just a great album from start to finish.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:51 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

I would like to agree with the cool kids above who mentioned Mindcrime from Queensryche and Don't Say No from Billy Squier.

For a totally oddball choice, there isn't a single album I listened to completely (no skipping) as much as I listened to Loudness' Hurricane Eyes. Very underrated band.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:30 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Kid Rock - Devil Without A Cause
Old 01-25-2021, 04:58 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Also I forgot mention...

The Georgia Satellites

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 01-25-2021, 07:31 PM
�tis J�hns�n

I still play the first two albums I ever bought...and they are perfect.

"Here's Little Richard" on Specialty
"Jerry Lee Lewis" on Sun

I could name a hundred others, but you never forget your first.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:56 AM
J@RR0D

Lots of great ones on here. I think my top two would be jazz...

1. Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz

2. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

3. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

4. Beastie Boys - Check Your Head

5. Beatles - Abbey Road
Old 01-27-2021, 04:20 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
I still play the first two albums I ever bought...and they are perfect.

"Here's Little Richard" on Specialty
"Jerry Lee Lewis" on Sun

I could name a hundred others, but you never forget your first.
My first two...

Yesterday and Today
Are You Experienced?

That pair qualifies, I'd say
Old 03-19-2021, 10:05 AM
Bill Gregory

Oh man.

Enuff Z'Nuff-this album, and the band, had the incredible misfortune of debuting in August of 1989, just as the grunge era was beginning in Seattle. Had this album come out five years earlier, Enuff Z'Nuff would have become one of the biggest bands in the world. As it is, their look made them MTV darlings as hair metal was in its death throes. Their record label famously pushed an image on the band that gave them tremendous visibility. But when the musical landscape changed, that image amounted to a straight jacket after the band had been pushed overboard, and sank to the bottom, even with media heavyweights Howard Stern and David Letterman endlessly promoting the band on their shows.

When I recommend this glam metal masterpiece to friends, I describe the band as a hybrid of Van Halen, The Beatles and Sweet. The band's classic lineup, lead vocalist Donnie Vie, bassist Chip Z'Nuff, guitarist Derek Frigo and drummer Vik Fox, had an astonishing level of musicianship, and were absolutely fantastic live. Their hard rock/glam metal songs compositions featured some of the catchiest hooks any hard rock act have ever had, and classically trained virtuoso Derek Frigo infused one volcanic guitar solo after another into their thoughtfully crafted tracks. And then, there were their vocals. Those harmonies. Donnie and Chip were meant to sing together.

Their first three albums, the eponymous debut, Strength, and Animals With Human Intelligence are all must haves. But the first album is absolutely addictive.

Carole King-Tapestry

Tori Amos-Little Earthquakes

Stevie Nicks-Bella Donna

Rush-Moving Pictures-really, I could pick a number of their albums depending on my mood. But Moving Pictures represents a very special time for me, when I first got into the band. I keep coming back to it. The Camera Eye is a perfect song.

Jeff Buckley-Grace

Queen-Sheer Heart Attack. Like Rush, I could pick a number of their albums for this list. Queen II is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. It marked Queen truly becoming Queen. They had much of their sound in place with their debut, but the progressive elements, the theatricality of the band, first started revealing itself on the second album. White Queen is one of the greatest songs ever recorded. But Sheer Heart Attack was their break out. Completely uncompromising, it was Freddie Mercury's putting the world on notice. Really, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races and News of the World are all perfect in their own way. Their albums after that had just a slight touch of unevenness at times. Jazz and Hot Space had some highs, but just didn't completely work. The Game and The Works were fantastic albums. I'll go weeks at a time and listen to nothing but Queen or Rush. I completely binge on them, and never grow tired of them. Ever.

Van Halen-Fair Warning. With all due respect to Jimi Hendrix, Brian May, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Randy Rhoads, Alex Lifeson, John Petrucci, Jake E. Lee, Criss Oliva and a few others that have also been huge influences on me as a musician, Eddie Van Halen is the greatest rock guitarist of all-time, and Fair Warning is his masterpiece.

Miles Davis-A Kind of Blue

Dream Theater-Images and Words

There are more, I'll have to think about it.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:20 PM
Joe M.

Any Elvis or Petula Clark album. I’m an old guy. LOL

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-13-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Any Elvis or Petula Clark album. I’m an old guy. LOL
The Ed Sullivan Show !
Old 03-24-2021, 12:28 AM
Jerry

Rod Stewart Every picture tells a story
Bad Company Running with the pack
Rare Earth Ma
CSNY Deja Vu
Buffalo Springfield Retrospect
James Taylor Sweet baby James
ZzTop Tres Hombres
The Doors Morrison Hotel
The Doors LA Woman
Deep Purple Perfect Strangers
Iron Butterfly Ball
Old 03-24-2021, 03:05 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default My take

I read the OP to describe albums that are perfect, no weak points.
While 100% perfection isn’t literal, when I replied earlier and excluded some amazing albums , it was because they had some cuts I don’t think are great. That’s very subjective of course.

I am a big Steely Dan fan but other than “Aja”, the albums only have *mostly* good songs, in fact , a high percentage.

Aja is perfect.

Same concept (for me) with Elton John and Pink Floyd.
To me , I like almost all of DSOM or The Wall, but not all.
WYWH is perfect.

Elton John has terrific albums, most are 80-90% terrific.
I think only “Madman across the Water” is perfect.

I check this thread periodically because I really like listening to different music.
Last week I listened to jazz pianist Art Tatum, just because.

Keep’em coming!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:37 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I would like to agree with the cool kids above who mentioned Mindcrime from Queensryche and Don't Say No from Billy Squier.

For a totally oddball choice, there isn't a single album I listened to completely (no skipping) as much as I listened to Loudness' Hurricane Eyes. Very underrated band.
Billy Squier's 'Children of the Sun' was great for showing off your stereo speakers. (they used to be called that, you know)

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-27-2021, 08:06 PM
D.an Jackso.n

I think Billy Thorpe did Children of the Sun. And you’re right it does have some cool effects.

Willie Nelson‘s Red Headed Stranger is a great record. It’s a concept album about a preacher going after his cheating wife and her lover. The most recognizable song on the record as probably Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain. But the whole thing is outstanding.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:06 AM
Mike

5 more ....just because.....

Carole King... Tapestry
Ray Charles...Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music
Genesis...The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
The Band...The Band
Buddy Holly and the Crickets...The "Chirping" Crickets

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 01-28-2021 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:13 PM
P.hil €lli$

Agree with many (Fleetwood Mac, David Gray, Pink Floyd, etc.)

Here’s 2 fantastic albums:

Shangri-La - Mark Knopfler
Sailing To Philadelphia - Mark Knopfler

Shangri-La might be my favorite album all time
Old 01-29-2021, 04:12 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
I think Billy Thorpe did Children of the Sun. And you’re right it does have some cool effects.
You're right, it was Billy Thorpe. The "Children Of The Sun" album was just the first part of a rock opera which included Billy's "21st Century Man" album and then concluded with "Children of The Sun Revisited". According to what I've seen on the web, these songs are part of the trilogy.

The OFFICIAL track list for the Children of the Sun rock opera is as follows:

1: Children of the Sun (from "Children of the Sun")
2: We're Leaving (from "Children of the Sun")
3: We Welcome You (from "Children of the Sun")
4: Solar Anthem (from "Children of the Sun")
5: The Beginning (from "Children of the Sun")
6: 1991 (from "21st Century Man")
7: Solar Dawn (from "21st Century Man")
8: We Were Watching You (from "21st Century Man")
9: 21st Century Man (from "21st Century Man")
10: She's Alive (from "21st Century Man")
11: Rise (from "21st Century Man")
12: Earth Calling (from "Children of the Sun Revisited")
13: Turn It Into Love (from "Children of the Sun Revisited")
14: Free Enterprise (from "Children of the Sun Revisited")