NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-23-2024, 11:12 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default Interesting Ebay Authentication Result...

Been wanting a nice Frank Robinson Rookie, and this one looked pretty nice for the grade. But it was rejected by eBay Authentication, and I was automatically and immediately refunded.

Seemed like this one would pass in routine fashion. I can't imagine what SGC might have missed, and of course you never get any kind of explanation or specifics from them.

Does anyone see a red flag or problem that caused this slabbed card to fail?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/356016882607

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; 09-23-2024 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:18 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Been wanting a nice Frank Robinson Rookie, and this one looked pretty nice for the grade. But it was rejected by eBay Authentication, and I was automatically and immediately refunded.

Seemed like this one would pass in routine fashion. I can't imagine what SGC might have missed, and of course you never get any kind of explanation or specifics from them.

Looks like that link is redirecting to a different card which is definitely not a 1957 Topps...
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 09-23-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:29 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Looks like that link is redirecting to a different card which is definitely not a 1957 Topps...
Figures.... I hate that eBay does this now. When I posted it, they were still showing the card I purchased. Seriously, why can't they just leave the completed listing in tact? What's the point in re-directing you to a completely unrelated card?

Old 09-23-2024, 11:30 AM
Eric

I don't see it either.
What comes up is a CSG graded 1991 Topps East Cost National Frank Robinson

1930 baguer chocolates Al Lopez
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
1907 Wolverine News Postcards
1907 Dietsche Detroit Tigers Postcards
1907-1909 H.M. Taylor Detroit Tigers Postcards
1908 Brush Detroit Postcards
1908 Detroit Free Press Postcards
1909 Topping & Co Postcards
1935 M120 Detroit Free Press. 16/18 complete. Need Mickey Cochrane and Tommy Bridges.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:31 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:

This kind of thing is pretty common with eBay's "Authenticity Guarantee," and they'll reject things without explanation for something as simple as listing an item in the wrong category or subcategory. For example, I've seen Colgan's Chips fail eBay authentication as "Item Not As Described" because they're listed as baseball cards and not "memorabilia," even though PSA designates them as "Baseball Cards."

I recently had an eBay purchase for two PSA-graded Domino Discs canceled because the eBay authenticator thought they should have been listed as "pins." My money was refunded and I wasn't given the option to go through with the transaction. On the other hand, the next Domino Disc purchase from a different seller failed eBay authentication for the same reason, but eBay just sent it to me anyway with a notice that it couldn't be authenticated.

Last edited by gunboat82; 09-23-2024 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:34 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Figures.... I hate that eBay does this now. When I posted it, they were still showing the card I purchased. Seriously, why can't they just leave the completed listing in tact? What's the point in re-directing you to a completely unrelated card?
I agree, very dumb.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-23-2024, 11:34 AM
Stefan

More than likely an issue with the slab, such as a thick scratch or a crack (potential crack at the seam on the top-right looking at the pics)

Last edited by Smanzari; 09-23-2024 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:44 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks all...

FWIW, here are 3 screenshots (of the actual listing) from my cell phone. Not the best resolution, but perhaps it sheds some light on the problem?
Attached Images
File Type: png Frank1.PNG (128.1 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg Frank2.jpg (27.5 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg Frank3.jpg (28.5 KB, 357 views)

Old 09-23-2024, 11:47 AM
Eric

as Mike said above, it probably was described wrong or listed wrong in the details.

I have purchased postcards that have failed authentication because they were not described as postcards.

1930 baguer chocolates Al Lopez
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
1907 Wolverine News Postcards
1907 Dietsche Detroit Tigers Postcards
1907-1909 H.M. Taylor Detroit Tigers Postcards
1908 Brush Detroit Postcards
1908 Detroit Free Press Postcards
1909 Topping & Co Postcards
1935 M120 Detroit Free Press. 16/18 complete. Need Mickey Cochrane and Tommy Bridges.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:57 AM
Sonny Smith

Listing details appear to be correct in all aspects - so that would not be the issue.

Most likely an issue with the slab or the wrong card was sent by accident.

You can contact eBay and see what the "authentication" notes say - they actually usually do keep records on issues with cards that fail the AG program. Or, you could ask the seller Just Collect and see what they know.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:00 PM
Robert Klevens

The listing looks perfect. I have no idea why PSA would not authenticate it.

You need to click on VIEW ORIGINAL LISTING to see it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vol.jpg (98.1 KB, 356 views)
Old 09-23-2024, 12:15 PM

The one you bought looks better than the 4s I see on eBay. ANY chance it's a fake that made it through SGC?
Old 09-23-2024, 12:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thank you, Sonny and Robert...

Good to know about the "view original listing" icon, and I just reached out to "Just Collect" to see if they know what went awry (my big word for the day )

Last edited by perezfan; 09-23-2024 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:23 PM
Dave

Yeah, I can only think they sent a cracked slab or perhaps the wrong card, which would not be totally surprising considering how much volume they do.

It is infuriating that they fail stuff and send it back to the seller on occasion, just because they think it was listed in the wrong category. Strikes me as a passive aggressive move on the part of the authenticator...because perhaps they think they aren't going to get paid by Ebay for their service.

Also, this listing reminds me of how reasonable his cards are considering the gaudy stats he put up, and multiple awards he won throughout his career.
So what is it good for?
Old 09-23-2024, 01:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

They will ding SGC slabs for any undisclosed scratches. They DO NOT review the merits of the card or grade.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:52 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
This kind of thing is pretty common with eBay's "Authenticity Guarantee," and they'll reject things without explanation for something as simple as listing an item in the wrong category or subcategory. For example, I've seen Colgan's Chips fail eBay authentication as "Item Not As Described" because they're listed as baseball cards and not "memorabilia," even though PSA designates them as "Baseball Cards."

I recently had an eBay purchase for two PSA-graded Domino Discs canceled because the eBay authenticator thought they should have been listed as "pins." My money was refunded and I wasn't given the option to go through with the transaction. On the other hand, the next Domino Disc purchase from a different seller failed eBay authentication for the same reason, but eBay just sent it to me anyway with a notice that it couldn't be authenticated.
The 57T Robinson is clearly a card that falls under ebay's guarantee. It was listed in the correct category as a single card. I don't think whatever issues you had in the past with the guarantee program have anything to do with this Robinson card.
Old 09-23-2024, 01:55 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detroit Collector View Post
as Mike said above, it probably was described wrong or listed wrong in the details.

I have purchased postcards that have failed authentication because they were not described as postcards.
The description looks fine. It was not categorized as a postcard.
Old 09-23-2024, 03:05 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
There's a link at the top right that takes you to to the original listing which reads "View original listing"
Old 09-23-2024, 03:12 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent G. View Post
The one you bought looks better than the 4s I see on eBay. ANY chance it's a fake that made it through SGC?
Are we looking at the same card? LOL. No offense intended, but this is a pretty low-end 4. PSA would give this a 3 today because of the corners and the centering shift top-to-bottom is pretty bad.

Zero chance that this card is fake though.

Last edited by Snowman; 09-23-2024 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 03:21 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

If the price would have been one penny less - this wouldn't have happened.

Card looks good to me - as does the original listing.
Old 09-23-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Are we looking at the same card? LOL. No offense intended, but this is a pretty low-end 4. PSA would give this a 3 today because of the corners and the centering shift top-to-bottom is pretty bad.

Zero chance that this card is fake though.
I was looking at these for comparison -- the SGC has bad centering and pretty similar corners and the PSA has a very rough image when you zoom in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 4.19.27 PM.jpg (135.5 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 4.19.39 PM.jpg (128.1 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by Brent G.; 09-23-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 03:30 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detroit Collector View Post
I don't see it either.
What comes up is a CSG graded 1991 Topps East Cost National Frank Robinson
look at the page, you can still click View Original Listing which brings you right to his card, or not his card apparently.

It's a Just Collect listing so I find it hard to believe the card isn't legit.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-23-2024 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 03:40 PM

I bought a Jackson Holliday certified 1st Bowman auto a few years ago when he came out in 2022 Draft. It was a Bowman issued autograph but somehow also managed to fail authentication and the auction was cancelled without me ever seeing the card.
Old 09-23-2024, 05:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent G. View Post
I was looking at these for comparison -- the SGC has bad centering and pretty similar corners and the PSA has a very rough image when you zoom in.
I'm with you... I thought it was quite nice for a "4". The main thing I look for on these '57 Topps is surface wear. The vast majority seem to be plagued by "snow", which is especially visible in the second card (PSA 4) that you posted.

If there is any wear on the card's surface, Robbie's red sleeves will show it. The printed surface on these '57s simply didn't hold up well, and sadly the one eBay rejected was clean as a whistle in this regard. I cared far more about the actual image, and less about the typical corner wear and the slight OC top-to-bottom.

Old 09-23-2024, 05:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm with you... I thought it was quite nice for a "4". The main thing I look for on these '57 Topps is surface wear. The vast majority seem to be plagued by "snow", which is especially visible in the second card (PSA 4) that you posted.

If there is any wear on the card's surface, Robbie's red sleeves will show it. The printed surface on these '57s simply didn't hold up well, and sadly the one eBay rejected was clean as a whistle in this regard. I cared far more about the actual image, and less about the typical corner wear and the slight OC top-to-bottom.
Contact the seller and buy it privately. Just Collect is on this forum.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-23-2024 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 05:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I might just do that... thanks, Peter.

Old 09-23-2024, 05:41 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanzari View Post
More than likely an issue with the slab, such as a thick scratch or a crack (potential crack at the seam on the top-right looking at the pics)
That NEVER matters. They LOVE to authenticate cards with ginormous Cracks in the slabs that the sellers maliciously hide or don't mention in their ads. Just had it happen again on a 4 figure card. 2 times this year. I don't eevn bother with E-Bay. I just go straight to PayPal and never buy from the seller again. It's a cess pool out there

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 09-23-2024 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 05:50 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so by all means, buy the cards you love, but IMO you can find much nicer copies for the grade if you're patient. Although it'll certainly cost more. I have a few of these. My PSA 3 is the best looking of the three for my tastes (not for sale).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957T 035 Frank Robinson PSA3 F.jpg (210.8 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by Snowman; 09-23-2024 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 06:23 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so by all means, buy the cards you love, but IMO you can find much nicer copies for the grade if you're patient. Although it'll certainly cost more. I have a few of these. My PSA 3 is the best looking of the three for my tastes (not for sale).
That's a great card.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2024, 12:33 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
That is indeed beautiful for a "3". Looks better than a 3 of course, but perhaps they dinged it for that little crease (white line) towards the top-right corner. There's got to be something there that kept it from grading higher.

Old 09-24-2024, 02:36 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
That is indeed beautiful for a "3". Looks better than a 3 of course, but perhaps they dinged it for that little crease (white line) towards the top-right corner. There's got to be something there that kept it from grading higher.
Yep, that's why it got a 3. There's a light surface wrinkle/crease in the top right. It's hard to see, even in hand. But it's there. Good eye.