NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Default Sept 2011 Pick-up thread

One of the earliest known images of Gehrig in a Yankees uniform. This vintage original TYPE 1 photo is dated 3/14/24 at Spring Training in New Orleans. The slug has his name typed "Paul" Gehrig and corrected with a pencil to say "Lou". I guess he really hadn't yet made a name for himself at that time.

GehrigBATTING.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 09-03-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Graig Kreindler

Well, look who it is!!

Amazing pick-up, bruddah. Look at how young and skinny he is...just wow. Those shoulders!! He looks like a little kid. And I suppose he was only about 20 when this was taken, so he IS a kid. Let's see some more!!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

My favorite post this month

OK... August included as well. Great to see you back Jimmy! Hope it's just the start of a whole "new wave". We missed you mucho!

Oh yeah... nice pic, too. Glad you mentioned it's Lou, or I may not have recognized that young String Bean... Welcome back!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Graig Kreindler

Alright, I finally gave in.

This is the first piece of memorabilia that I've ever bought, I think. Actually, it might be one of my first contributions to a thread that had nothing to do with a painting. Well, it'll make a good start to a collection of signatures from the '36 Yanks and Giants. It's something I've been toying with for a few years now (as many of you know), and I just couldn't see myself ever jumping into the deep pool, especially considering how much some of these cost (especially with the Gehrigs and Otts out there). And, I suppose I was just never really into memorabilia to begin with, so I didn't really see myself ever actually going through with it.

So, here I am, tip-toeing in with a flashlight and having a look around. I imagine I'll build the set VERY slowly, as I'd love the signatures to be vintage, and of course, I'd like to be as comprehensive with all of the players/managers/coaches/owners/batboys as I can be (thanks, Phil).

A big shout-out goes to Scott Garner for pointing this out a few days ago in the first place - there's no way I would have seen it otherwise. I understand that Hubbell isn't as sexy a name as Gehrig, DiMaggio or any of the other big guys, but the fact that I was able to get this period cut - at a PSA 10 no less - for a tad over $50 boggles my mind.

Alright, shoot me now - I'm done.

Graig
Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Dan Bretta

1913 Superior team postcard with Dazzy Vance...I found a 1912 Superior postcard a few months back with Dazzy also...amazing that these tow postcards pop up from different sellers in that short timespan...neither were known in the hobby prior to this. Thanks to Phil G for pointing this one out to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg superiorvance2.jpg (45.0 KB, 759 views)
File Type: jpg superiorvance1.jpg (76.7 KB, 766 views)
Old 09-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Alright, I finally gave in.

This is the first piece of memorabilia that I've ever bought, I think. Actually, it might be one of my first contributions to a thread that had nothing to do with a painting. Well, it'll make a good start to a collection of signatures from the '36 Yanks and Giants. It's something I've been toying with for a few years now (as many of you know), and I just couldn't see myself ever jumping into the deep pool, especially considering how much some of these cost (especially with the Gehrigs and Otts out there). And, I suppose I was just never really into memorabilia to begin with, so I didn't really see myself ever actually going through with it.

So, here I am, tip-toeing in with a flashlight and having a look around. I imagine I'll build the set VERY slowly, as I'd love the signatures to be vintage, and of course, I'd like to be as comprehensive with all of the players/managers/coaches/owners/batboys as I can be (thanks, Phil).

A big shout-out goes to Scott Garner for pointing this out a few days ago in the first place - there's no way I would have seen it otherwise. I understand that Hubbell isn't as sexy a name as Gehrig, DiMaggio or any of the other big guys, but the fact that I was able to get this period cut - at a PSA 10 no less - for a tad over $50 boggles my mind.

Alright, shoot me now - I'm done.

Graig
Graig,

Alright!! I'm glad that you pulled the trigger on this Hubbell vintage signed album page. Congrats on crossing over to the dark side, my friend!

As the "World's most interesting man" on the Dos Equis commercials says:
"Stay thirsty my friends!". I don't know why, but that commercial makes me laugh every single time...

BTW, you are right, this cut is OUTRAGEOUS for $50!! Good job for a first pickup. Consider your cherry busted...

I'm out!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:51 PM

Nice pickup, Graig. But it's not a cut. It's a signed album leaf.
(If there had been two different signatures on the leaf, and you cut them apart, so that, looking at either, you could no longer tell it had been an album page, then each would be a "cut.")
Old 09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Wonderful pickup Graig... That early Hubbell signature style is so interesting (and so under-valued). Will you be pairing it up and framing it with a photo of King Carl? I would imagine you have some nice ones, if that's your intention!

Here are a couple of sweet pickups to start off my September...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bicknell.jpg (55.0 KB, 754 views)
File Type: jpg Bicknell1.jpg (47.7 KB, 750 views)
File Type: jpg Chances Cubs 4.jpg (64.9 KB, 745 views)
File Type: jpg Chances Cubs 3.jpg (75.7 KB, 752 views)
Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Default Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
One of the earliest know images of Gehrig in a Yankees uniform. This vintage original TYPE 1 photo is dated 3/14/24 at Spring Training in New Orleans. The slug has his name typed "Paul" Gehrig and corrected with a pencil to say "Lou". I guess he really hadn't made a name for himself at that time.

Attachment 45083
Awesome early Gehrig photo Jimmy-congrats!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
J.O.N

I wanted this for a while and picked it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315695966.289350.jpg (6.0 KB, 493 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315695945.509427.jpg (7.6 KB, 496 views)

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Dan Brown

Default Sweet Caporal

Picked up this Roger Bresnahan at an Antique Show here in Canada. Seller had a few listed as commons, but to me Roger was not a common. Bought it for $25, is this a decent deal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_25321.jpg (63.1 KB, 440 views)