NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Nate Mack

Default Differences between 70, 71, 72, 73 topps?

I would like for guys that have collected these sets to fill me in with the pros and cons for collecting each set... High numbers, stars, Rookies, etc. I have collected the 72 set, but I am wondering how the other years compare. Any thoughts are gladly welcome!

Thanks,
Nate Mack

Currently working on:
53 Topps, 61 Topps, 52-55 Redman, 47-66 Exhibits, 53 Bowman color, 52 Topps, 51-55 Bowman, 64 Topps Stand Ups

My trading page:
http://natesbaseballcardtradingco.weebly.com
Old 11-13-2015, 08:13 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Hi, I have collected complete sets by hand of all years mentioned. Here is what I think.

1970: love it. The cards look good even with a bit of wear on the corners. All of my sets are like ex mint to nr mint and the 70s look superior shape wise, they grey hides imperfections. High series aren't super tough but the bench card is a key and a beauty.

1971: a bit of a nightmare from condition perspective. Get used to looking at the cards sideways or under black light to find sharpie marks, I've seen way too many. Richie Allen seemed like the toughest sp for me, I'd say the 71 sps are the toughest of the bunch. My least favorite but most people love it.

1972: the white borders seem to stain a bit more easily than the 73s. Obviously a monster of a set, love the traded cards and the in action. Centering is a real pain as I'm sure you know with the most notorious being hank Aaron in action. I don't mind oc cards, if you don't the set is actually pretty cheap.

1973: For my money the best photographs and maybe the best deal going as I think it's cheap. Check out the cards of John Ellis and pat corrales. The high numbers are sneaky hard especially the Yankees team card and checklist.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 AM
Nate Mack

Thank you very much for the nice write up. Thinking about starting one of those sets, just sure which way to go. Thanks again

Currently working on:
53 Topps, 61 Topps, 52-55 Redman, 47-66 Exhibits, 53 Bowman color, 52 Topps, 51-55 Bowman, 64 Topps Stand Ups

My trading page:
http://natesbaseballcardtradingco.weebly.com
Old 11-14-2015, 05:57 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Sets

Nate,

Can't really miss with any of those sets IMO.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:14 AM

I love '71 myself, but in addition to being condition sensitive, there are quite a few cards that are extremely difficult to find centered, Starting with Claude Raymond, followed by Jim Lonborg, Jim Brewer, Mike Wegener, Joe Torre, Bob Gibson, Mike Fiore, Rico Carty, Gary Sutherland, Lee Maye, Thurman Munson...
Old 11-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Love the 73 set, and am working on one presently. The set has an iconic rookie in Schmidt, and the last cards of Mays and Clemente. The set also has a lot of HOF'rs. Undervalued set IMO.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 11-14-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:24 AM

Default '71 Topps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
I love '71 myself, but in addition to being condition sensitive, there are quite a few cards that are extremely difficult to find centered, Starting with Claude Raymond, followed by Jim Lonborg, Jim Brewer, Mike Wegener, Joe Torre, Bob Gibson, Mike Fiore, Rico Carty, Gary Sutherland, Lee Maye, Thurman Munson...
+1 on the above. And then try to collect this set in NM condition for the ultimate hunt.

Z
Old 11-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Jay T.

1970 is not too hard to complete. The higher numbers can sometimes be hard to find because there are so many of them when you account for the semi-highs. There really is not killer rookies which drive the price up, although the Nolan Ryan card can be a little costly.

1971 is not too hard to collect if you don't want higher grade. Once again, no killer rookies.
If you want higher grade, its a bitch to complete.

1972 is hardest to complete of all the high number sets from the 1970s in my opinion. It is easy as anything to complete a low number set of these.

1973 has the Schmidt Rookie and it's also a high number. The high numbers, in my opinion seem to be somewhat plentiful.

If I were to have a choice of building any of these sets, I'd build them in this order...

1971 (because its so tough to build in high grade)
1972 (the high numbers are in higher demand than all of the others)
1973 (actually my favorite and first year I collected) and
Old 11-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Don

I love the 73 set. If you're looking for a set with character, the 73 set has everything from ridiculously funny airbrushed hats and uniforms, odd photo locations like Tug McGraw in someones back yard with a crutch leaning against the shed, and bizarre actions shots like Luis Alvarado throwing on a playground lot next to a line of parked cars.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:21 AM
Jay T.

Not to mention that Tug McGraw is wearing a glove with "Hammer" written on it. My guess is it may belong to John Milner whose nickname was the Hammer. Milner played left field in 1972, thus the glove not being a first base mitt which was Milner's normal position.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Jim Parker

Hi there. I have built all 4 sets, and many copies of each except 72, which was the first i did as a kid in the 70s. Funny, back then in the late 70s, we all hated the 73s, so i never bothered to build it until nearly 40 years later. I have built about 5-6 copies of 73 and must say i love it for the photography and truly bizarre nature of most of the action shots. And its the best value, but that 6th series checklist is a beast, expect to pay $20+ for an umarked nice copy. The dwight evans RC is another toughie.

As for the others, they are a bit more widely collected in my opinion....and their value is probably settled and appropriate. the 1970 has that bench, ryan, rose, banks and clemente that are pricey. The 71 borders may make you crazy, all depends, but the ryan, clemente (again!), dusty RC are tough. Great action shots in 71 too....not as goofy as 73 but definitely still offbeat - harrelson has a nice shot of ryan. 72 is my least fave and although it was my first, i haven't touched it in 30 years.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:00 PM
Shane

I currently have all of these sets completed. I have Topps sets from 2014 down to 1968. But the catch is that I am not as concerned with condition as most are. Sure I like my cards to be as nice as possible but since we live on a budget I am more concerned with completion rather than quality. Having said that, my sets are mostly mid grade.

Currently working on 1967. Those high numbers are EXPENSIVE!