NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Andrew Keller

Default Has anyone ever sold a collection to Deans?

Good afternoon everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone on the board has any experience selling a collection/anything to Deans cards? I have a rather large 71 collection I am looking to sell, and inquired with them......got the "you have to ship them to us, we can't even give you a ballpark figure beforehand" line.

Just wondering what everyone's experience has been. Logic says since he lists everything at 3.5-4X actual market value, he would pay aggressively. Something tells me that it would be no different than any other "lowball" dealer offer.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Andrew
Old 11-27-2015, 02:20 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black00SS View Post
Good afternoon everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone on the board has any experience selling a collection/anything to Deans cards? I have a rather large 71 collection I am looking to sell, and inquired with them......got the "you have to ship them to us, we can't even give you a ballpark figure beforehand" line.

Just wondering what everyone's experience has been. Logic says since he lists everything at 3.5-4X actual market value, he would pay aggressively. Something tells me that it would be no different than any other "lowball" dealer offer.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Andrew
well I would understand why he cant price it without looking at the cards....

who knows what he will pay but he wont steal your cards so if you don't like the cards he will have to pay to ship them back (make sure he agrees to that)
Old 11-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Andrew Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
well I would understand why he cant price it without looking at the cards....

who knows what he will pay but he wont steal your cards so if you don't like the cards he will have to pay to ship them back (make sure he agrees to that)
Definitely understand he cannot give me a firm offer without seeing them in person. On the other hand though, I felt like at least he could give a ballpark range (even if it is a couple thousand dollar range).

I just did not want to spend 200.00 to ship the collection to him, and get an offer I would not entertain at all, and be out the 200.00.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Ben North

Did you try any of the people that constantly are advertising on this forum how they pay the most for collections? You could probably avoid the guy saying he would pay up to $150 for a rookie Aaron though.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:27 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Did you try any of the people that constantly are advertising on this forum how they pay the most for collections? You could probably avoid the guy saying he would pay up to $150 for a rookie Aaron though.
haha on the rookie aaron..I agree, you can get some prices on some people on the forum for ballpark...but I think the ballpark range will be very large..

if its $200 to send the cards to deanscards and he has to pay $200 to send them back I would think he would have some added incentive to make a deal instead of being out $200 as well....so the post office would make $400 on the back and forth on a failed deal...must be nice
Old 11-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Graded or raw?
Old 11-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Larry More.y

Does not sound like Dean is too interested...if the collection is large enough/worth while, many dealer/collection buyers will travel to you, especially if they are in the same state. Or you could bring the collection to him.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Andrew Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Graded or raw?
Raw, 11 complete sets, 4 partials.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Raw, 11 complete sets, 4 partials.
I think anyone is going to want to examine raw sets before pricing them.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Andrew Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think anyone is going to want to examine raw sets before pricing them.
I completely understand this. That being said, I dont think its unreasonable to request a rough ballpark figure IF the sets are as described to him.

I understand, he may grade more strictly, etc. Bottom line, if a set is EX, and he reviews it and concludes it is EX in his opinion.....he should be able to tell me what he would pay IF everything is as described.

What I dont want to do is send him an EX set, and find out after I spent 200.00 to ship the entire collection out that his offer is 150.00 for that set, and less for the lower grades etc.

That is the reason i was inquiring on the board about previous experience. Does he pay decent with his outrageuos selling prices, or does he pay the same lowball amount as everyone else, and just mark it up a lot more?

Again, I dont expect someone to give me a firm guaranteed offer without viewing. On the other hand, I really dont think asking for a ballpark range IF everything is as described is asking for too much before shipping.

Anyways, anybody ever sell to Deans?
Old 11-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Dave Foster

In lieu of honking up $200 to ship, consider sending him a random sampling of scans. You can get about 9 cards on the scanner plate. Are they all in the same relative cond.?
Old 11-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Deans

Send him 1 set and see how it goes. You can ship it in a medium flat rate box for around $12, plus a few bucks for insurance.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 11-28-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:18 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I completely understand this. That being said, I dont think its unreasonable to request a rough ballpark figure IF the sets are as described to him.

I understand, he may grade more strictly, etc. Bottom line, if a set is EX, and he reviews it and concludes it is EX in his opinion.....he should be able to tell me what he would pay IF everything is as described.

What I dont want to do is send him an EX set, and find out after I spent 200.00 to ship the entire collection out that his offer is 150.00 for that set, and less for the lower grades etc.

That is the reason i was inquiring on the board about previous experience. Does he pay decent with his outrageuos selling prices, or does he pay the same lowball amount as everyone else, and just mark it up a lot more?

Again, I dont expect someone to give me a firm guaranteed offer without viewing. On the other hand, I really dont think asking for a ballpark range IF everything is as described is asking for too much before shipping.

Anyways, anybody ever sell to Deans?
Try someone else if you aren't happy with him, no shortage of people buying cards.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Totally agree....

Why don't you just send him 1 or 2 sets like a previous poster said? If you have 11 sets, it should be no big deal. I agree with Peter also. You need to diversify and sell this to a few different folks to maximize your profit. Any dealer buying 11 of the same sets no matter how nice they are, is thinking "diminishing returns".

You really can't win unless the sets are NM or better which for 1971 would be pretty rare for obvious reasons.

Split them up amongst the hobby for better profits and a happier collecting community!

Peace, Mike

PS By the way, what is the "average" condition? I would accept a set on approval basis if you are interested in shipping to me, let me know.

Last edited by vthobby; 11-29-2015 at 10:50 AM.