NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Exhibit Cards

Gentlemen:

A question for you all on the 1977 Exhibit Baseball Great HOF reprint set. I have found two different versions in the green tint only.

One version has PRTD. U.S.A. in the bottom of the columns on each side of the photos while others have plain columns.

See photos below. Any info/ideas?

Do any of you have any of the other colors w/o the PRTD. U.S.A.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77EX2.jpg (78.2 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg 77EX.jpg (75.2 KB, 306 views)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Randy Trierweiler

I have Mize and Musial in blue, green, and sepia. The only card without PRTD USA is the green Musial. I don't consider this to be an Exhibit set. It was issued by Renata Galasso in 1976-77. She took the Exhibit format though.

I also found green versions of Hubbell, Hartnett, and Kaline all without PRTD USA.

Last edited by cardinalcollector; 03-20-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: more info added.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
I have Mize and Musial in blue, green, and sepia. The only card without PRTD USA is the green Musial. I don't consider this to be an Exhibit set. It was issued by Renata Galasso in 1976-77. She took the Exhibit format though.

I also found green versions of Hubbell, Hartnett, and Kaline all without PRTD USA.
Hi Randy:

Thanks for the info.

So I understand, are you saying the green tint w/o the PRTD. U.S.A. was produced by Galasso? While the others were not?

Fred
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Fred, the 1948 Exhibit HOF set of 33 cards had 24 cards re-printed in 1974. The card stock is the only difference. The 1974 set is check listed in the 2011 SCD Almanac.

The Galasso set while it looks identical, is a different set all together. Galasso issued a 32 card HOF set as an incentive to buyers. The set was issued in sepia, blue and green tints. The set is check listed in the Beckett Almanac.

The Frisch scan is a 1974 Exhibit, the Mize scan is a 1976 Galasso. Also notice the difference in the typeface. There are also many players in the Galasso set that are not in the Exhibit set. I had never noticed the difference in the green tint until your post. Nice find.

The 3 sets get all mixed up on Ebay and by grading companies. The only way to know the correct issue is to identify card stock on back and typeface on front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0004.jpg (78.2 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by cardinalcollector; 03-20-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Add'l info
Old 03-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
Fred, the 1948 Exhibit HOF set of 33 cards had 24 cards re-printed in 1974. The card stock is the only difference. The 1974 set is check listed in the 2011 SCD Almanac.

The Galasso set while it looks identical, is a different set all together. Galasso issued a 32 card HOF set as an incentive to buyers. The set was issued in sepia, blue and green tints. The set is check listed in the Beckett Almanac.

The Frisch scan is a 1974 Exhibit, the Mize scan is a 1976 Galasso. Also notice the difference in the typeface. There are also many players in the Galasso set that are not in the Exhibit set. I had never noticed the difference in the green tint until your post. Nice find.

The 3 sets get all mixed up on Ebay and by grading companies. The only way to know the correct issue is to identify card stock on back and typeface on front.
Randy:

I have the original 48 set in both B&W and Green tint.

I need some cards in the 1974 set in various tints as well as the 76 Galasso set. See wantlist below.

The "new" set I referenced without the PRTD. U.S.A. at the bottom of the columns seems to be a poor copy job on a little thicker stock, It is a reprint of the Galasso set of 32 from 1977. So far I have only seen this in green tint. Wonder if there are others out there?

WANTLIST:

1974 HOF EXHIBITS WITH COLUMNS AN EXHIBIT CARD LOWER RIGHT OR LEFT CORNER NO PRTD IN USA AT BOTTOM OF COLUMN 24 DIFFERENT:

BLACK: Alexander, Chance, Cobb, Cochrane, Frisch, Griffith, Grove, Hornsby, Jennings, Johnson, Mathewson, McGraw, Sisler, Tinker, Waddell, Wagner, Walsh, Young

BLUE: Chesbro, Clarke, Cobb*, Evers*, Fritsch, Hornsby, Johnson, Mack*, Mathewson, Tinker, Wagner, Young*

BROWN: Cobb, Hornsby, Johnson, Mathewson, Wagner

1977 Galasso HOF EXHIBITS WITH COLUMNS PRTD. U.S.A bottom of columns 32 DIFFERENT:

GREEN: Appling, Banks, Clemente, Dark, DiMaggio, Feller, Ford, Gehrig, Greenberg, Kaline, Mantle, Mays, Mize, Musial, Ott, Roberts, J. Robinson, Ruth, Spahn, Wagner, Williams, Young

BROWN: Berra*, Roberts

1980 HALL OF FAME EXHIBITS: HAS AN EXHIBIT CARD 1980 HALL OF FAME AT BOTTOM. SET OF 32

NEED ALL IN RED
Old 04-07-2013, 01:49 AM

Default Here are some you might like

Hello everyone. My name is Eric and I am very excited to have just joined this forum today. I am a big fan of 1950's and 1960's and although I don't consider myself to be very knowledgeable since I am a newer collector, I love it and am learning more and more all the time. A good friend passed his collection to me and I have some of the Baseball's Great Hall of Fame cards. I believe they are from different editions as some have printed US on the front and some do not. You guys will know a lot more about them than me. They have not been taken out of the sheets though and are in great condition. Here are some pictures. Any info on these would be much appreciated. I look forward to talking with everyone more. Take care.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1068.jpg (73.7 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1069.jpg (75.4 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1070.jpg (73.3 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1071.jpg (75.9 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1072.jpg (75.4 KB, 211 views)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Exhibit Reprints

Eric:

What you have above are two different Exhibit Reprint sets. The blue ones shown are from 1977 and have the PRTD USA at the bottom of the columns. This set has some players from the original 1948 HOF set along with newer players such as Mantle and Spahn. There are 32 cards in the set and were issued in Brown. Blue and Green tints.

The brown cards shown are a reprint of some of the 1948 set. These all have the AN EXHIBIT CARD in one of the bottom corners. There are 24 cards in this set that comes in Black, Blue and Brown tints. FYI the original 1948 set had 32 cards, 33 when you count two different poses of Babe Ruth.

You can fill in your sets easily or buy complete ones on ebay with not much trouble.

Good Luck!

Fred
Old 11-26-2015, 06:48 AM
Bill Potter

Are the original HOF Exhibits regular card sized or the size of a Post Card like Salutations?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:25 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
Are the original HOF Exhibits regular card sized or the size of a Post Card like Salutations?
The original HOF Exhibit set is the same size as other Exhibits.