NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-03-2016, 03:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default Cubs Photo Standee (Burke?) Please help identify player

Below are some photos of a Cubs Standee, circa early 1920s. I believe the uniform dates it specifically to the 1921 - 24 time frame. It stands 13" tall, and likely can be attributed to photographer George Burke. There are, however no marks or stamping to verify this.

Regarding the specific player, I assured my friend that this forum could solve the mystery. Please help identify the player portrayed here...

Many thanks!
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cubs 1.jpg (71.4 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Cubs 2.jpg (68.6 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Cubs 3.jpg (71.0 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 10-03-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Nick Barnes

man, it really looks like cubs first baseman Ray Grimes. I will do a little more work and see if I can confirm it for you tho.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Below are some photos of a Cubs Standee, circa early 1920s. I believe the uniform dates it specifically to the 1921 - 24 time frame. It stands 13" tall, and likely can be attributed to photographer George Burke. There are, however no marks or stamping to verify this.

Regarding the specific player, I assured my friend that this forum could solve the mystery. Please help identify the player portrayed here...

Many thanks!
Mark
Whoever it is, it is super cool.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Mark, here's my standee. This is from the Charlie Root family that I know personally. I didn't not buy this from them. My standee looks to be in the early 1930s much later than your example. And more spooky too. Some missing their heads, unfortunately. I heard these were made with Burke photos too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.6 KB, 193 views)
Old 10-04-2016, 07:56 AM

The large uniform letters in an arc seem to date the jersey to 1919. If this photo was indeed taken during that season, the best match I could find could very well make this player Joel Newkirk, who pitched exactly two innings of one game that year (one of only three MLB appearances over two seasons). Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate a clear image of him facing the right way! This image doesn't provide enough detail to match the cleft in his chin, but the facial features are a very strong match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54cc836f_davis.jpg (4.1 KB, 157 views)
Old 10-04-2016, 11:10 AM

The Burke Standees are all matt finish, black and white and all I have seen have come with the same silver stand on the bottom. They ALL have come from the players estates as far as I know. I've probably handled or seen 3 dozen at auction or in person over the years and every single one fits this description so far.

The one in question is earlier and a different style so my guess would be it is not a Burke but is still cool either way.

Rhys
Old 10-04-2016, 11:14 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks all.... this is tougher than I envisioned. I still think its circa 1921 - 24, based on the navy blue sun collar. Neither the 1919 or 1920 jerseys have this feature (see below).

I also believe there's a chance the "Cubs" wordmark only appears arched, due to the way the uniform is draped on his chest.

Still seeking any and all opinions, but I'm leaning towards Grimes as well. Thanks again to all who've contributed!
Attached Images
File Type: gif nl_1919_chicago_01.gif (10.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: gif nl_1920_chicago_01.gif (11.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Cubs 1.jpg (71.4 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 10-04-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the clarification regarding the uniform. Excuse my error on the date. The formation of the "U" is different in 1919, and the letters are red and blue, thereby excluding that season. To me, this player bears a stronger resemblance to Newkirk than Grimes. The cleft in the chin appears to be more pronounced in the standee photo. Can anyone provide more photos of either man?

Here's a clear 1921 Conlon photo of Grimes. It's so close (right eyebrow, ear, puffy eyes), but I'm put off by the subtle differences (right nostril, tip of nose, lack of steeliness in the eyes) which are what keep me leaning towards it possibly being Newkirk or someone else. Thus far, nobody else from the 1921 club comes close.

ETA: Would the standee photo likely date to 1923? The pairing of the blue/white hat with the blue sun collar on a road uniform might just narrow it down to that season. If that's indeed correct, then a much more obvious case can be made for Ray Grimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grimes.jpg (67.9 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 10-04-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Nick Barnes

I can't find a better Newkirk pic anywhere, the reason I liked Grimes was the ears and nose looked perfect.... IDK, I can't say for certain, but if I had to bet I'd go with Grimes, I wonder if the lighting made the cleft pop in the standee photo over the direct sunlight of the other pic?
Old 10-04-2016, 12:35 PM

Just for fun, here are autographs of Oscar Ray Grimes, Sr., brother Roy's 1954 signed Eagles membership card and a 1939 example of Oscar Ray Grimes, Jr.

Both Grimes brothers managed a bit in the minors. Ray, Sr. spent years as a potter at Cronin China, while Roy operated a boat dock. At some point, the brothers partnered up to form a paint contracting business.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grimes, oscar sr12 - Copy.JPG (33.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg grimes, roy (1954)83 INV.jpg (34.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg shilling, jim (1939)3 - Copy.JPG (13.7 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 10-04-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks guys! I do think it's Grimes (I like the ears!)

I'll let my friend know, and please know that he thanks you all as well!

Ps. Feel free to post more, if additional evidence points elsewhere.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:

you sir, and your friend, are very welcome! If i find anything that changes my opinion I will certainly pass it on!
Old 10-07-2016, 01:13 AM
Mark

Quote:

Your Standee appears to have a chin cleft.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:13 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

+1 to what Rhys said above regarding the possibility of this having been produced by George Burke. Also keep in mind that Burke did not begin photographing baseball players until 1929. While it would have been possible for him to use another photographer's earlier photo to produce something like this years later, it seems unlikely, and every Burke standee that I have seen used his own photos for production.

Still a very cool piece, but most likely not produced by George Burke.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks...

Will let me friend know it's likely not a Burke, and that the player remains unidentified.

Thanks for everyone's insight, as this one was outside of my wheelhouse!