NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-07-2023, 07:05 AM

Default 1978 Topps Trammell/Molitor rookie printing issues?

I've recently begun shopping around for a copy of the '78 Topps Trammell/Molitor rookie card, and I've noticed what seems to be a really common issue of the bottom of the card around the red outline above "rookie shortstops" being pretty noticeably unclean. I've pulled a few pictures from eBay listings as examples below. Each of the 3 images I used were PSA graded copies, and had gotten grades up to a 7, so it doesn't seem like it's something that severely limits the grade potential

Some examples of this almost look like residue from the gum that was in these packs? But I'm kind of thinking this is more an ink bleed or wet ink dripping issue from printing imperfections. I'm curious if anyone knows the source of this, because it looks to be very common with this card

Old 04-07-2023, 07:18 AM
Brad Sherlag

Interested to hear what some of the knowledgeable people on here say. The card is plagued with print issues - the red bleeds, the black bleeds, the ink smears, it is definitely a tough card. I have no idea why and am interested to learn. The other 4 player rookies don’t have this as far as I know.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:41 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Just thought I'd add this for some giggles...

290. Klutts/Washington Extrapolation
The huge increase in value that a 1978 Topps Rookie Shortstops #707 card will surely attain if another one of the players pictured on it finds his way into the Hall of Fame.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:46 PM
Dave

When all other forms of finger-pointing fail...blame it on the Klutts.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:53 PM

Do we know where on the printing plate these were? My guess would be "at a spot that gets hit pretty hard with a roller after inking"
Old 04-07-2023, 03:19 PM

I did just a little poking around at a few other key cards from the set, and didn't seem to find a huge pattern of this. It's kinda strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad31 View Post
Interested to hear what some of the knowledgeable people on here say. The card is plagued with print issues - the red bleeds, the black bleeds, the ink smears, it is definitely a tough card. I have no idea why and am interested to learn. The other 4 player rookies don’t have this as far as I know.
It's not too late for Washington to add 60 career WAR, right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Just thought I'd add this for some giggles...

290. Klutts/Washington Extrapolation
The huge increase in value that a 1978 Topps Rookie Shortstops #707 card will surely attain if another one of the players pictured on it finds his way into the Hall of Fame.
That could explain it. If that is the case, I'd be interested to know what the cards on either side of this one on the printing sheet were to see if those suffer similar issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Do we know where on the printing plate these were? My guess would be "at a spot that gets hit pretty hard with a roller after inking"
Old 04-07-2023, 04:00 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post

It's not too late for Washington to add 60 career WAR, right??

U.L. may never get into the HOF, but his toothpick might.

https://sports.yahoo.com/column-dust...124500810.html
Old 04-08-2023, 07:09 PM
Mike

This Trammell/Moitor duel Rookie HOF card does often appear with these smudge marks. This card was at the bottom ( last line) of the printing sheet. On the left of this card was # 415 Ray Fosse and to the right was # 537 Bruce Bochte. See sheets at Robert Edwards Auctions Archives.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:30 AM

Great sleuthing. Interestingly, after an initial pass on eBay listings of the Fosse and Bochte, it does not appear that either of those have the smudging type issue that the Trammell/Molitor has. I have no new findings to report other than that, but hopefully someone can help continue to fill in the blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
This Trammell/Moitor duel Rookie HOF card does often appear with these smudge marks. This card was at the bottom ( last line) of the printing sheet. On the left of this card was # 415 Ray Fosse and to the right was # 537 Bruce Bochte. See sheets at Robert Edwards Auctions Archives.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:09 PM

The initial printing error came from a fingerprint that was left on the original printing mask. Topps apparently tried to correct the fingerprint which led to a lot of successive smudged cards. Most cards have some sort of smudged failed clean up attempt and a few will actually have the fingerprint. I have several Trammel / Molitor rookies...will try to find a fingerprint example. It is very difficult to find a perfectly clean example
Old 04-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Brad Sherlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
The initial printing error came from a fingerprint that was left on the original printing mask. Topps apparently tried to correct the fingerprint which led to a lot of successive smudged cards. Most cards have some sort of smudged failed clean up attempt and a few will actually have the fingerprint. I have several Trammel / Molitor rookies...will try to find a fingerprint example. It is very difficult to find a perfectly clean example
Thanks so much for this info.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:06 AM
J@son Per1

This is not the only issue from the era that has these sort of issues. The 1975 Mini Keith Hernandez RC has a similar problem.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:28 PM
Steve Birmingham

Being an edge of the sheet card and somewhere towards the middle, it's also in a prime spot to be smudged by the press operator whn a sheet is removed for inspection, or when cards not fully dried get restacked for the next color/colors
Old 04-11-2023, 04:41 PM

Fascinating - thank you very much for the info! Is there any other documentation out there about this issue with various cards over the years? Would be a fun read. Also would love to see if you come up with a good fingerprint example of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
This is not the only issue from the era that has these sort of issues. The 1975 Mini Keith Hernandez RC has a similar problem.
Old 04-13-2023, 06:38 AM

I’m definitely not knowledgeable, but I pulled my copy I had as a kid from the early 80’s and no smudging. That may be the only “good thing” it has going for it though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0D9DFD7B-774F-4862-B6DF-DCE2A1403FFF.jpg (209.4 KB, 60 views)