NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default Need help with vintage Louisville Slugger sign

Posted By: Jim

Hi all......

I just bought this LS sign on ebay. I've seen these listed for sale before and they've sold for well over $100. Someone just told me that there is a possibility that it is a repro cardboard sign. Can anyone tell me for sure?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230163545723&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013

Thanks!
Jim

Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

It's a repro. Olebbstuff is one of the worst sellers on ebay of this crap.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard L.

Also, if you check out his neg total, that should have been a clue.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Thank you for the response Dan.

I have emailed the seller asking for clarification. If its a repro, I'd be interested in it if it was $5-10 but not for $100. The auction makes no mention of it being a repro.

I did look at his neg total but it didnt send up enough of a red flag to turn me off completely to the auction.

Jim

Old 08-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

border on the front is the same color on the back, just does not look right. Louisville Slugger Signs go for more money that 100.00

Jimm

Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

WAY more than $99. As someone stated earlier OLEBBSTUFF is full of crap........fake autos, reprinted signs. They/he/she sells TONS of reprinted Louisville Slugger stuff too. Not sure of their location but they should be drawn and quartered..........

I search for Louisville stuff DAILY and their crap comes up and it never ceases to infuriate me.....but, as long as ebay's getting their cut, it'll never change.......

Old 08-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

I saw the same sign sell a few months ago in a bidding war. This one looked good at first and I thought I was getting a deal. He won't be getting my money, that's for sure.

Thanks for the input fellas!

Jim

Old 08-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Here's the sellers response:

We bought it and many other similar type items in Louisville at an Antique show last December. We have sold numerous items from that collection without any questions regarding authenticity. We are not experts on every item ever produced,no one is and i suspect neither are your few friends. For someone to look at a picture and somehow feel an item is a modern reproduction has to be extremely gifted. We purchased the item as original, it looks original, it feels original, thats all i can tell you. If you are uncomfortable with that let me know.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

that we are in fact, a very gifted bunch!

If it looks fake, feels fake, well, then,...

Old 08-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

I told him that I was uncomfortable with it due to it more than likely being modern. I expect a negative feedback any minute now unless he is understanding (which I can only hope!)

Jim

Old 08-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Unless he is a real a-hole he shouldn't give you a negative. I have backed out of several ebay deals when I found them to be bad, before I paid. Most cases it was ok and we just voided the transaction. I always offer to pay the few dollars ebay fee and about half the times (there have been 3-4 total I didn't follow through with such as in the case of yours) the seller said they would take my fee reimbursement offer...and I did reimburse them. The other times they were really cool and just said don't worry about it.....regards

Old 08-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Thank you Leon.

I emailed him this response, trying not to accuse him of intentionally selling a reproduction:

Thank you for your candor.

I dont doubt that you are selling the item as you bought it. I do have concerns however that it may be a modern reproduction that has fooled both of us. I have asked my friends who are much more knowledgable than I in memoribilia such as this and they state that it is 100% modern. If that is the case, then I would not be interested in it. I only collect vintage pieces. Sorry for the trouble.

5 minutes ago, I just received his ebay invoice.......

Old 08-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

That's a rather brazen response from the seller. The problem is, this guy has legitimate collectibles scattered throughout the outright fakes and "fantasy" items in his offerings. This can be confusing to a novice (or hopeful) buyer. He also does things like take magazine ads or pages from a book and paste them on board--so that one could say that the item is, in fact, vintage. Sad, pathetic, and outrageous.

Sellers like this are the bane of the antiques business (people who get burned sometimes sour on the whole experience) and eBay is not doing nearly enough to stop these folks. On another recent post, however, hope springs eternal:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1187808582/last-1187835517/Ebay+is+getting+better

Old 08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard L.

Jim,
If you click on his items for sale and type in cardboard sign, he currently has 15 different one's as a BIN between 50-100 each. All advertised as vintage. I don't think you'll get a neg, but if so, make sure he gets a dandy in return!

edited to add: In addition to his 63 total negs, he has another 24 that's been "mutually withdrawn".

Old 08-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Ebay does not care about this guy...he is the WORST of all manipulating sellers. Read his feedback..he constantly lists items as vintage that are modern. He uses omission as his main tactic in deceiving buyers. It will be a great day of celebration when this guys auctions no longer clog up ebay's listings.