NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default Looking for 1955 Ashland/Aetna Basketball

Posted By: P.G.

Time again for my monthly shout-out for any and all 1955 Ashland/Aetna Oil Basketball cards. If you have any for sale, please shoot me an email.

Thanks

Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Default Looking for 1955 Ashland/Aetna Basketball

Posted By: Joe

Funny. I just posted another comment requesting info on these cards. I own a set of 50 that I am trying to research.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to scanned pics of my cards

http://photobucket.com/jbritt5150ash

JB

Old 07-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: Joe

Funny. I just posted another comment requesting info on these cards. I own a set of 50 that I am trying to research.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to scanned pics of my cards

http://photobucket.com/jbritt5150ash

JB

Still looking for 1955 ashland/aetna if anyone has em.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Phil

Default Monthly bounce

Hey, still looking for some of these to add to my collection--preferably Murray St., Eastern, Morehead, Marshall and WVU players. Would be interested in others as well.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Phil

Default Still interested in these if anyone has em

Let me know if any for sale. Thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Smile 1955 Ashland/Aetna basketball cards

I have 8 of these basketball cards that I will sell.
2-Joseph Mikez both in real good condition
2-William Evans, one has oil in upper right corner
2-George Orr, one some crease plus oily spot, the other just a little dirty.
1- Victor Harned, great shape
1- Jerry Whitsell with crease

If you send me your e-mail address I can send a picture of the cards
wandcjones@embarqmail.com
Old 01-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Phil

Trailwalker,

Email sent. Thanks for responding.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Phil

Still looking for these if anyone has em. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Phil

Default Monthly bump . . . in search of traders/sellers

Still looking for these cards. Give me a shout if you have any to part with.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Alan Zimmerman

There's an auction for 9 currently running on eBay. Not my auction and I'm sure you already know. But, just in case . . .
Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Phil

I appreciate the heads up, but yeah I stumbled across that auction myself. Those are some nice looking ones and its rare that you find someone auctioning that many at once (heck, its rare to find nice ones offered on Ebay at any time).

Again, thanks for passing the information along.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 AM
Alan Zimmerman

you're welcome. i only have two myself. it's an interesting set, and one I doubt I will finish in my lifetime.

alan
Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bowman48 View Post
you're welcome. i only have two myself. it's an interesting set, and one I doubt I will finish in my lifetime.

alan
If you don't mind me asking, which two do you have (not trying to angle on you, just curious).

Trust me, if you finish it in your lifetime, you have accomplished something extraordinary in collecting which most people don't even realize the magnitude. I have collected these only for a couple of years now, but have discussed this issue with many sophisticated collectors who have been toiling with them for longer than I have been alive. As of today, I have only heard of three confirmed complete sets--and one of those is a set with mixed Ashland/Aetna backs. Never heard of anyone who has completed the master set of All Ashland/All Aetna.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Alan Zimmerman

I dont mind you asking at all.

I bought the PSA 7 Calvert (Aetna background I think, don't have it in front of me) that was up on eBay from BMW. And a PSA 5 Gastevich (ashland back).

Also, I just bought RAW copies of George Orr and Gayle Rose (both Ashland background). I haven't received them yet—although I am sure that I will very soon—so I don't count them towards my official total. =)

4 down, 92 to go.

How far along are you on your set?

I'm also working on the Busch Bavarian set. I need Pettit still. And I finished the Essex Meats Hawks set, minus the Si Green (of course).

Alan

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 02-18-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: recent purchase
Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Phil

I am a decent ways along I suppose. If i mixed and matched Ashland and Aetna backs, I am not sure, but I would estimate by mixing backs I would be at 49 to 51 cards of the 96.

I am trying to do a master set, one of Ashland backs and one of Aetna. I have 43 Aetnas, with 2 duplicates, and then 23 Ashlands, with 4 duplicates.

In my search, I have found Kentucky, Louisville and Western Kentucky cards with relative ease. My problem has arisen after those teams. After those, especially Murray State and the West Virginia schools, it gets tough.

I hear that Bavarian set mentioned all the time, whats the story with that set?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Alan Zimmerman

I think the busch bavarian set is 1959/60. It features players from the St. Louis Hawks. Set is small in number, but large in size. Checklist is: Sihugo Green, John McCarthy, Clyde Lovellette, Bob Pettit, Cliff Hagan. The cards measure around 4" by 5". Here's a link to an old Mastro auction which shows what they look like: http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...px?lotid=34906

Personally, for my set, I am missing the Pettit card.

The PSA set registry lists Sihugo Green as an SP. I don't know if that's true, as I own more Greens than any other card from the set. Maybe it's a mistake with the SP listing. I know the Sihugo Green was SP in the 1961 Essex Meats set. So much so that there's MAYBE one graded and I have never seen another one. In fact, the 1961 Essex Meats set is considered complete even without the Green. Maybe a more experienced collector can chime in.

(Shameless plug for myself: "Oh, and if you are ever interested in selling some of your duplicates from the ashland/aetna, please let me know.")

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 02-18-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: shameless plug
Old 02-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Phil

I may end up selling some of my dups here in the near future. I just lack motivation to go to look through them and decide which ones to keep and which ones not to. I will let you know which ones I have to get rid of, but chances are they will be Kentucky or Western Kentucky players (probably have a Ed Diddle, Head Coach of WKU, to get rid of).

That Busch set looks pretty cool. Speaking about SP's, its weird what cards are considered SP's in some of these old regional sets--I really believe that its just a guess on the part of the people labeling these cards as such.

For example, there are several cards in the Ashland set that are labeled short prints which have been among the easiest cards to find for me. Some of the University of Kentucky players that are listed as short prints I disagree with, but that's just based upon my experiences in collecting these things.

Do you collect Kahn's basketball? It seems like another tough regional issue--particularly pre-1962 and 1964-65 (color photos).

Last edited by booyahlaw; 02-18-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: additional information added
Old 02-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Alan Zimmerman

Haven't dipped my toe into the Kahn's pool yet, but I am sure that I will before too long. I'll let you know when I dip my toe (I'm sure it'll actually be more of a jumping straight into the deep end of the pool kind of thing).

I love the old regional basketball. So much fun to learn about.

Alan
Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Alan Zimmerman

As evidenced by the eBay auction referred to above, there seems to be a pretty decent demand for these cards. Good to see.

Alan

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 02-22-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bowman48 View Post
As evidenced by the eBay auction referred to above, there seems to be a pretty decent demand for these cards. Good to see.

Alan
No kidding, I was very surprised that those cards went for that--but, its rare you see them on Ebay in that strong of condition. I would imagine the condition bolstered some of the pricing, as I have seen most of those same cards on Ebay in the last year.

There were three of those cards that I could have really used--wish the McBrayer card would have gone in a solo auction.

Like you, I was glad to see the action. Hopefully, this auction action will spur more people to list these cards on Ebay.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Alan Zimmerman

being stuck here in basketball purgatory (Buffalo) doesn't help as far as collecting basketball cards goes. there's not much around here, so ebay has been helpful. so has this board. i wish the cards would have been listed singly so I could have afforded one or two. my pockets are not that deep so I couldn't bare to part with that much all at once. so, a part of me was pleased with the result. i am excited that b-ball cards are getting some love. but, another part of me was sad because I fear that I will never be able to afford to collect them anymore. such is life.

there's always off-condition busch bavarian cards to keep me excited.

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 02-22-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Doug

Default Ashland/Aetna Basketball

I had no idea that these cards were that tough. In addition, I had no idea so many schools were involved in the set. I have the complete WVU team and Marshall team. I considered attempting the rest, but I don't think I will do that! Great set though. Good luck with your hunt.
Doug
Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Phil

Sounds like you are off to a great start if you want to build the set--you got most of the hard part down. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadiumechoes View Post
I had no idea that these cards were that tough. In addition, I had no idea so many schools were involved in the set. I have the complete WVU team and Marshall team. I considered attempting the rest, but I don't think I will do that! Great set though. Good luck with your hunt.
Doug
Old 04-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Phil

So, any one looking to part with any of these bad boys?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Phil

Default Bueller, Bueller, Bueller . . .

another month, another shout out. If anyone out there is feeling the urge to talk sell or trade, let me know.