NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Robert A

Default Toy Town PO stamp (OT)

For the TTPO followers around here.

Been a while since I've seen one let alone picked up one.

A bit off topic since it's a pool player but...

sc0145c00a.jpg

Any others out there you've found lately?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not lately but

I haven't found one lately but we all know there are actual stamps known, so in theory they could still be made today.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:22 AM
pete ullman

Does anyone know if all toy town stamps are in the same color ink? This would be difficult to replicate I'd think?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'm a bit surprised these are collected as something special.

Toy town post office was a game sold in the same time period as the cards were issued. It's a pretty cool game, more of a play kit. There's the stamp of course, and a bunch of small envelopes and a bunch of tiny stamps and a post office window. The Spellman postal museum has one that was on display for a while. Here's on sold by Skinner.
http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullca...707633&image=1

There was a different box too. I think this one is the one spellman has. If I recall it right the stamps are tiny replicas of US stamps from the late 1890's
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21728045@N08/5612066552/

I can easily picture kids using the cards as "postcards" so they're a bit cooler than the other rubber stampings we see. I'd really like to see one where they used the stamp from the kit.

Steve B
Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Does anyone know if all toy town stamps are in the same color ink? This would be difficult to replicate I'd think?
Why would they be difficult to replicate? Have stamp, different color ink, different color stamped card. I only remember seeing these purple types as this one in my collection...

Last edited by Leon; 01-12-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 AM
pete ullman

What I meant was that replicating the same color ink would be difficult?!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Ralph Pr3y€r

I have two in my collection, both are purple. Both look to be same shade. I guess game originally came with purple ink pad? I saw a red one once as well. I would think they could easily be reproduced today, but seeing as they add no value I wouldn't see to many people wasting their time, although they are neat as a period stamp.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Fred

Is it possible that there's a GREEN Toy Town stamp?

Does that stamp "really" add any value? I'm not too knowledgable on overprints.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Robert A

The stamp doesn't really add value (use to add a bit) and is not looked at as an overprint or anything factory related. I've seen the game and realize that there's a possibility that someone has the original stamper. All of the examples I've seen are the same ink. I think it would harder then just getting some purple ink and stamping cards with it, but anything is possible.

I've seen recreations of other stamps like the Old Put stamp and they are a complete joke compared to the real deal.

I compare this one more to the "gilliam squires" or the E104 "swift." You see it quite a bit on certain issues and it's possible they were all placed there by one collector and the cards have circulated around the country at this point.

Period stamps are more just a fun thing to me. They bring you back to the time and give the card a bit of character. This one cost $6.

Rob
Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Photobucket
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Robert A

Good to see you rman. You must be the one sitting around stamping T218s...