NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2020, 06:28 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Default Detecting 1934 Goudey Reprints

I'm relatively new to the 1934 Goudey set, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about detecting reprints. For many of them, I can quickly tell, due to the coloration, cropping of the bottom Gehrig Says logo, etc. For the better fakes, however, I find it more difficult.

For instance, this reprint sold relatively recently on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Day-Aucti...d/133545222229

The coloring (especially the back), Gehrig Says logo, etc., generally look right to me. Are there any tells here that I'm missing? Or is it just very difficult to detect the better fakes online?

Obviously I know not to buy a high dollar value raw card from the set, at least until I have a heck of a lot more experience with them . But just trying to learn what to look for. Many thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:05 AM
Scott Russell

The card in question has myriad issues. Start with the listing. Guy had virtually no feedback and is running a one day auction. Even before you look at the card that should be setting off warning bells.

The card itself has issues too. The edges are just weird. Possibly a Dover reprint that had to have perforations removed? The image on the front is obviously a reproduction. It's not as crisp as an original. The back is all sorts of wrong. I don't know if it was a bad attempt at aging or what, but that mottled brown color is something I have never seen on a real Goudey. You can also more easily see that all of the borders are fuzzy which is also something I've never seen on a Goudey.

Hope this helps.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-29-2020, 07:06 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Paper is wrong, back is too dark...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:19 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Thanks to you both. The back paper coloration stands out now that you both pointed it out. The crispness of the front image is harder for me to discern, though. I actually thought this one looked pretty good...I must have a bad eye for these sort of things!

And yes, obviously the seller's history, one day auction format, etc., would have been huge warning signs in this particular case. I'm just trying to get a feel for the cards themselves.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:27 AM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. Like you said, it can be harder to tell online especially with images that are intentionally meant to be deceiving in most cases.

In the first image, if you look near the top there is a upward curl that doesn't look natural. It makes the cardboard look thinner than it should be. The bright then dark corners look off too. Goudey corner wear is pretty consistent if you look at correct examples.

The third image(back) is the real smoking gun for me. The cardboard is made of a brown colored, rough textured cardboard. Those qualities are not similar to a genuine one. The edges are way too rough. The card is also way too small it seems. There is no border below "Made in USA" or if you focus on the left/right of the line on the back, it's too narrow.

The Goudey cardboard has a very distinct look that is hard to duplicate. It also has many characteristics that repeat over and over and over again. Most Goudeys end up with very similar indicators like wrinkles, corner wear, toning, etc that have a similar look for the whole set.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2020, 07:41 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Lou Gehrig #37 reprint

With this comparison its obvious. but the the card on the right does have a bid-- --note the clarity & colors between the two.

Last edited by Directly; 01-27-2024 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:34 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Thanks Trey and Tom!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
The card in question has myriad issues. Start with the listing. Guy had virtually no feedback and is running a one day auction. Even before you look at the card that should be setting off warning bells.

The card itself has issues too. The edges are just weird. Possibly a Dover reprint that had to have perforations removed? The image on the front is obviously a reproduction. It's not as crisp as an original. The back is all sorts of wrong. I don't know if it was a bad attempt at aging or what, but that mottled brown color is something I have never seen on a real Goudey. You can also more easily see that all of the borders are fuzzy which is also something I've never seen on a Goudey.

Hope this helps.
That was pretty close to what I thought.
I don't usually look at the seller until last.

The front looks commercially produced, and like it was at least a little glossy. Just like the Dover reprints.
The back... wrong color stock that looks more like blotter paper, but is probably printed. The printing was probably done on a home computer printer then glued to a Dover so the stock isn't as obvious. I think they got the size of the back wrong, making it too large.