NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Dont blame mom

I posted this thread on the net vintage hockey collectors forum just to get some humour going in the card collecting world. I think this would hold true in this forum as well but swap hockey with baseball Tell us all your bonehead move because MOM didnt destroy all our collection. please read and respond to the following

Ok we have all heard the stories about how mom tossed out all your cards. How about admitting to a little blame yourself. Here is my bonehead story. I grew up a Leaf fan so in those days that meant you hated the Habs and the Bruins. I was a card carrying member of that club. I can see it like it was yesterday.....opening a pack of cards and getting a "gasp" Bobby Orr rookie card......hmmm I do have my pellet gun...I know!!!! I will tack this card to the willow tree out back and see how my aim is... 10 feet? right between the peepers....20 feet? took out an ear....thirty feet? .....hit the tv border....back to 15 ft yep thats it 1, 2 ,3, 4 5.... all in his ugly mug. That should teach him!!!!!! play for the Bruins what a loser.... Yep that is my bone head move collecting cards.....unless you count Lafluer, Robinson or Dryden in my spokes..... Oh yeah I did make that nice hockey display by nailing most of my sherriff hockey coins to a board ....yep it was a beaut..... the big word hockey surrounded by a rink what a masterpiece that was!!!!!!! LOL I guess mom didn't destroy all my cards and collectibles.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Ken McMillan

How about having a gerbil chew out Ron Perrinowski's face?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Oh brothers...I find this soooo hard to write about. In a nutshell my brother and I burned a 55 gallon cardboard drum in an incinerator in 1956...filled to the brim with baseball Hockey and football cards. After all they were "old" cards, and we wanted new ones. Pounds and pounds of 52 topps through 56.....all kinds of bowmans and a bunch of tiny little pictures of dead baseball players we had never heard of. Even burned my "world on wheels" collection "rails and sails" and my beloved davy crockett cards. Oh the pain. Dave.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM

Default No Biggie

Ah hell they would more than likely never be worth much anyhow....littl ecards of old dead players Naw totally worthless....... Have scars on your wrists or the rope burn on your neck cleared up yet?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Rob Ruddy

Default No, can't blame mom for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Oh brothers...I find this soooo hard to write about. In a nutshell my brother and I burned a 55 gallon cardboard drum in an incinerator in 1956...filled to the brim with baseball Hockey and football cards. After all they were "old" cards, and we wanted new ones. Pounds and pounds of 52 topps through 56.....all kinds of bowmans and a bunch of tiny little pictures of dead baseball players we had never heard of. Even burned my "world on wheels" collection "rails and sails" and my beloved davy crockett cards. Oh the pain. Dave.
Dave, I feel your pain.

Back around 1970 on the urging of my mother to clean up my room and more specifically, my disaster area of a bedroom closet, I also got rid of most of my baseball and hockey cards that I had collected from 1961-1968. Mostly Topps, O-Pee-Chee and Parkhurst. Some nice rookie cards in that mess strewn about in my closet. I distinctly remember having some very nice Nolan Ryan rookies as well as Bobby Orr rookies in that "mess" not to mention my 1961 Horror Monsters set. My cards were kept either in a box or "stored" on the closet floor. They weren't in decks held by elastic bands like so many of us did back then. Back then we (my circle of friends that collected) always wanted the new stuff and tended not to hold on to the older material. Of course, this was decades before price guides and TPGs.

To have been a willing participant in that cardboard genocide is tough to talk about but we have professionals that can help us cope.

UPDATE:

I guess I didn't mention the nice 1969 Topps Jackson rookies I had and I mean NICE! My cards were kept either in shoe boxes or on the closet floor rather than in decks held by elastic bands.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 06-30-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:38 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default holy plague!

I've never forgiven my younger brother for trading my 1960s Mickey Mantle collection to some slime ball for 100 live grasshoppers. Oh well. I'm sure, in his mind, that I am guilty of nefarious deeds just as odious.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 06-30-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
Dave, I feel your pain.

....cardboard genocide....

Cool term
Old 06-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

No wholesale destruction for me, just the usual flipping and putting them in the bike spokes.

I did wreck a few 81 topps using them between layers when I had all my RC cans stacked along a wall of my bedroom. I had all three sets stacked, 77 and 78 baseball, plus the football. Close to 240 cans, plus a few others on a shelf that ran along the wall about 4 feet up. They didn't stack well, and after a collapse I used cards to even things out. 6 years later when I moved them the cards had a lot of can shaped dents.

And of course I used modern shiny extras as coasters.

And a few got used in other ways, leveling furniture, making a 78 stand up out of a common, that sort of thing.

Mom didn't even throw out many cards. I got one pack a year from 69, and 71-72, and probably still have most of the cards, maybe lost a few in cleanups but I know for sure I still have a 69 and a 71 coin.

What did get tossed was the pocketfulls of 67 or 68 coke caps I scrounged at a party. Apparently rocks frogs and bugs - my usual things that got brought home - were ok but a couple big pockets full of "dirty old bottlecaps" were just too far over the line for mom.

Later on she helped me look for RC cans, and for rack packs when the store we shopped at put them on sale near the end of the season, and even swiped a few shelf ads for hostess cards. She still picks up a card or two if she sees something odd and on sale.

Steve B
Old 06-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Don Stokes

My twin brother and I were starting high school in 1960 and we both had big boxes of baseball cards. I was a Yankee fan and always traded for Yankee cards.

A week before school started my dad came home from work and marched me and my brother with are boxes have cards down to the burn barrel and they ere gone within minutes. He told us we are starting high school and are too old for that kind of stuff. I cried for a week.