NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Tom

Default How many blame mother?

I was lucky, my mom did not throw out my cards. We has an agreement, she would not throw them out if I kept them away. She gave me an old dress box where I kept my cards and never had them out in the way. I still have my cards today where I add to the collection from time to time.

Did anyone else manage to hold onto their cards.. Or did mom toss them?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Mine were safe, but I was young enough that my parents saw the rising values when I started collecting in the 1980's, so it wasn't nearly the threat it was in the earlier decades.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Steve

Default All families, according to Tolstoy

When I enlisted at the age of seventeen, I had a sneaking suspicion that my personal belongings might not be too secure, so a few days before leaving for basic training, I stashed my collectibles in an old chest buried under mounds of stuff that had not been touched in decades in our garage. I felt sure that the cards and comics would be safe there for at least a few months. About five weeks into basic, a letter came with some cheery news from home, in which mom casually stated that she finally got the old man to clean out the garage and...imagine my horror as I read...she found the chest and had disposed of some ancient trash inside from my childhood. Mom has been gone for a long time and I never asked about it, but to this day I still wonder if she knew I had hidden those collectibles...ah, fond rememberances.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default It aint so much MOMS to blame....as it is MOVES

I was double fortunate......

1st.....my Aunt lived with us (after my Uncle passed away). Aunt Anna was quite a "pack rat". So, when I enlisted in the Air Force, she carefully put my original BB,
FB, Boxing, and Non-Sports cards in safe keeping.

2nd.....when my Sister got married, they purchased the home from my Mom and Aunt. My collection was stored in the attic of our childhood home for many years.

In 1977, I decided to recover these cards from youth. Sure enough, when I searched in the attic of my sister's home I found my original cardboard treasures. Many,
many 100's of them.

So, my point here is that Mom's aren't always the blame.

TED Z
Old 12-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

I had huge boxes of mid 60s to early 70s. My brothers and I weren't too rough on them so many must have been in pretty good shape. All tossed unceremoniously and without notice. And the thing is too, it's not like my Mom was averse to clutter -- she kept stacks of magazines and useless stuff.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Curt

My cards and most collectibles survived, but just about anything else I had as a kid didn't, mainly toys. I think most of it was passed to other relatives or possibly donated.

They did pitch my old Baseball Card News issues. I subscribed for a couple years and did want to keep them, but apparently the decision was made for me that I didn't need them anymore when I was in boot camp.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 AM
Dave

My mother never threw out any of my odd collections. From my collection of rocks, to my baseball cards. One day when I was in junior high. When I came home from school. I could see my father up in the bedroom that I shared with my brother. He was throwing clothing out of the bedroom window into the yard that didn't get put away the night before. My brother and I were about the same size. I just turned around and went over a friends house until 10:00pm or so. I got my butt kicked for being out so late on a school night. The clothing was still out in the yard, My brother was alseep. He woke up and said dad threw YOUR cloths out the window. I guess my father would have thrown my cards out too. I never did anything right at home. My brother NEVER did anything wrong.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:13 AM
bi11h00d

Mom never threw out my baseball cards, but she did throw out my comic books. Years later, I think she was more pissed about that than me.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

My Dad's collection of 50's and 60's cards were tossed but it actually turned out to be a good thing. He went on an adventure to buy back" his paper heroes and took me along for the ride. I wrote about it in my book that just came out.
Rich from SCD just did a write up check it out:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...generations%2F
Old 12-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
My Dad's collection of 50's and 60's cards were tossed but it actually turned out to be a good thing. He went on an adventure to buy back" his paper heroes and took me along for the ride. I wrote about it in my book that just came out.
Rich from SCD just did a write up check it out:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...generations%2F
....and I enjoyed reading the book immensely. Nice job, Chris!

My mom never threw out my cards, but she did give my comic books to low-means school children (I tried to type underpriveleged, but dang-it, I can't spell the darn thing).
Old 12-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Al Richter

Default Comics

Your Mom gave your comics to a bunch of mean short kids ?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:34 PM

Mom and Dad were both OK with my collecting. In 1973 one of the better baseball magazines had an ad for a cardboard "locker" to store your cards. My parents let me buy it for $3. Dad put it together for me.And without Mom knowing, Dad slipped me a rack pack also that day. I was 11 years old. My collection out grew it. My Dad brought home scrap cardboard and as a surprise made me a bigger one. Dad was a master at making things. A year later my collection outgrew that. Knowing it, my parents found a 10 drawer file cabinet, that if you put cards on their side, fit exactly 3 across. An odd but perfect Christmas gift from Mom and Dad in 1974. In 1975 I wanted to buy the entire set, but still wanted the thrill of opening packs. Dad and I went to a BB card store and we bought the 1975 set. But Dad held the set. Every week he would place a few cards on my dresser. From April until October. I still have that file cabinet, and that is where I keep my incomplete sets. I wish I kept that cardboard locker Dad made for me. I gave it to a cousin who also collected. But sadly, his collection in the locker was given to a younger neighbor when my cousin lost interest.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Russ

I have 3 younger brothers..........so I blame them.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Bruce Fairchild

I can only blame myself. After I lost interest in collecting in 1964 I gave my cards to a friend. We were pretty rough on them, throwing them.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Archive

Hi Tom

I still have all my cards (baseball, football and basketball) from when I was a kid except for one.

Years ago I worked in retail and one of my employees had a son who wanted to trade some arrowheads he found for a Nolan Ryan card that I pulled from a pack when I was young. Funny because he could have bought a Nolan Ryan card from the 70s almost anywhere, but he wanted to trade for mine. So I made the trade. Only card I don't have from when I was a kid.

Jantz
Old 12-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Keith

I collected cards in the 50s and early 60s and stored them in a wooden cedar box. In 1975 when I started collecting again I asked my mother about my the cards I collected as a kid. She told me exactly where she had put them in her home attic. They were all there and to this day they still have that musty
attic smell that adds a little something extra to them.