NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-30-2019, 08:15 PM
Joe F.ey

Default 1925 Jack Dempsey Letter w/Tunney Fight Content

I purchased a very large IP boxing collection last year that included hundreds upon hundreds of signed 8x10s and magazines from the late 80's and early 90's, as well as many index cards and album pages. In the box of index cards and album pages that I had neglected to go through, I had quite the surprise - and the item is quite out of place with this collection as it clearly was not IP.

The first letter is a handwritten letter from Jack Dempsey to Jimmy DeForest sent on 06/06/1925 from Hotel Adlon in Berlin (later destroyed during the war). The letter is on Hotel Adlon stationary with an embossed logo. The letter is signed "Jack" but the return address on the envelope includes a full signature. The envelope has an embossed hotel logo as well but the back flap has fallen off.

The second letter is a carbon copy (unsigned) of the response that Jimmy DeForest sent back to Jack Dempsey on 06/17/1925. The content of this letter is tremendous, including much mention of Gene Tunney - which was fought at a later date and was part of a string of losses to end Dempsey's storied carrier after quite the layoff. The folds on this letter are all over the place and it was tucked inside a "Polo Ground Athletic Club" envelope that includes "Jimmy De Forest, Matchmaker" on the return address (printed).

This was very exciting to find but I have not really ever dealt with handwritten letters. Any idea what the value on this might be?

Regardless, I just wanted to share because I thought this was very neat. I wish Dempsey's letter would have been as detailed as DeForest's! I included large photos below so everyone can read the content, very cool!

Last edited by 1treasuretrove; 01-30-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:03 PM
Mark O.
Mark Og.ren

Neat companion pieces. Dempsey makes reference to his time in 1925 Germany and opening up at Luna Park in Berlin. He apparently had an exhibition with a then unknown 19 year old and future heavyweight champion Max Schmeling. He also mentions moving on to a July 4th charity exhibition in Brighton, England all of which have been recorded. Jimmy Deforest around the same time is putting on the Tunney-Gibbons bout at the Polo Grounds in New York. Not sure of the value but definitely authentic. Nice score!!