NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-09-2020, 04:50 PM

Default AI/Machine Learning Grading Prototype Almost Done

Hey all - just to update those interested - we are getting closer to launching a proof of concept for a machine learning authentication, provenance(tampering) and grading app. I have the latter two working extremely well on 1982 Topps cards and the former working also super-well on 33 Goudeys (although admittedly I haven't come across any great reprint/fakes yet)

Anyway - I'm definitely going to demo it out here and let some folks play w it. The fingerprinting aspect has turned out to be really interesting in terms of a conditional and transactional history of a single card instance. I'm actually looking for any former graders or authenticators for some WFH contract work while we train our system. Open to hiring well paid short and long term arrangements - so if you have a background in grading please feel free to reach out. Otherwise stay tuned for automated card evaluation....
Old 07-09-2020, 04:53 PM

Fwiw I also have it working on two modern sets 2018 Topps Living & Bowman Chrome. Once the algorithms start to get better w some real volume we won't really need to add sets individually but for the proof of concept stage we had to pick a few sets for near term demo purposes....
Old 07-09-2020, 05:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I'm on the side that generally sees grading as useless (beyond the $$$$) and easily corrupted by the inherent subjectivity allowed, but the realization of this concept is when it becomes interesting. Very interested in how this turns out and just what AI could and could not be taught to detect.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:32 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Sounds exciting, please keep us updated.

When I got back into the hobby a few years back, I think one of the most surprising things was how much money is based solely on grading and all that grading was done exclusively by human opinions.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:06 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:47 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The human element will never be and should never be removed, as grade is in part aesthetic and a matter of taste, and the human eye is a sophisticated scientific instrument. Also, what rules and weights (is centereing or color or edges most important, etc., 85/15 versus 80/20 for a grade, etc) are used to determine grade is subjective and that will never be unanimously or objectively answered.

However, automated and AI stuff would be excellent for consistency and for enforcing the rules.

I also know that AI will eventually be able to identify individual cards, such as a card that has been resubmitted.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:13 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The human element will never be and should never be removed, as grade is in part aesthetic and a matter of taste, and the human eye is a sophisticated scientific instrument. Also, what rules and weights (is centereing or color or edges most important, etc., 85/15 versus 80/20 for a grade, etc) are used to determine grade is subjective and that will never be unanimously or objectively answered.

However, automated and AI stuff would be excellent for consistency and for enforcing the rules.

I also know that AI will eventually be able to identify individual cards, such as a card that has been resubmitted.
Pretty much exactly how I feel.

My greatest hope for this kind of technology would be that it nearly eliminates fraud from the hobby, as it applies to card alterations. If a high quality scan of a card could be performed, and the software could detect trimming (microscopic, irregular changes in edge consistency and quality), chemical alteration/cleaning, detecting paper stock inconsistencies (cards being rebuilt), incorrect ink being used-these last two to weed out reproductions being passed off as originals, etc-I'd be thrilled.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:39 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlenane View Post
Fwiw I also have it working on two modern sets 2018 Topps Living & Bowman Chrome.
Living set will be a very interesting challenge since it's only printed three cards at a time, may be cut or printed differently in each series of 3, and has been counterfeited. Will probably be more of a difficult set than you expected.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.