NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Learning a lesson the hard way

Posted By: tbob

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I spotted an E97 Young on ebay from a buyer with little or no feedback and the card looked a little suspect. I made a post on the board about it and asked for opinions as to its authenticity. Opinions differed but many said it looked like a reprint. All I did was call attention to the card which still went for a big bargain price. Granted several collectors didn't want to take a chance on its being a fake which held the price down, but by my making the post of inquiry, some collectors' attention was called to the card and they bid on it. The bottom line is the same card is now on ebay in an SGC holder at a much greater price.
I learned a lesson, sometimes you need to keep ye olde trap shut

Old 12-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

You are right! I have learned to keep my mouth shut when it comes to questions about cards that are still live on the auction block. I would rather buy a cheap reprint then see a great deal go slip through my fingers. Maybe you should just e-mail me with any questions and then only I would be bidding against you

Old 12-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

bob it's not the same card, but mum's the word is always wise...especially on scarcer stuff.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

I agree with Quann. Mum is the word and I don't think live ebay links should be allowd to be posted. How many people view this board a day ? I know its in the hundreds. So if you think maybe just a few posters will see the link then you are wrong. I can't tell you how frustrating it is when you find a card on ebay you want to go big for and it stays really low then bam its posted on the board and the view counter on the ebay page has doubled in 12 hours and you end up getting outbid. I am not saying the high bidder only found out about the card through the board and didnt just find it themselves but you never know. I just know that when I spend alot of time surfing through ebay pages then before the auction closes I see a post on the board about that certain item it kills me.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I will not stop anyone from posting an ongoing auction. It's not my job to educate educated collectors, nor is it my right as moderator, imo. I cringe when I see them talked about though....

Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

go get urself some krispy kreme donuts and maybe the bitter taste of that other lost doughnut will go away . leon is a nicer dictator, don't think he'll censor anything without a cause.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

Leon-I didn't mean to come off like I was pushing you to do something, ban live links from the board. My post was more or less me ranting because it has happened and is very frustrating. Quann you of all people should know there are know dougnut shops in Pickerington

Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

one of the best deals i ever got on ebay was a cobb portrait that was "outed" by another board member. the opinion of many was that the card was fake....
i even remember hal saying "don't waste your time or money on that."

Old 12-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...card after seeking advice from this Board on its authenticity. Some people chimed in that it was legit and I trusted those that did and wound up with a really sweet deal. It would have been a monumental error had I not sought this advice before the auction closed, because everything about it looked wrong and I never would have bid.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

I got an email from the buyer of the E97 Young and he said, yes, it was a fake and was returned and the E97 Young on ebay now which he is selling is not the same one, just a coincidence.
Still, I agree that sometimes mum is the word. I remember once keeping my mouth shut on a card listed in the wrong category and getting an E97 black and white (in an SGC 30 holder now) for $200, a real bargain. At the time I really wanted to ask about the authenticity to knowledgeable collectors of that set but realized what would have happened. I kept my trap shut and outbid the only other guy who was wise, although he was someone I have never seen on 54 (maybe a lurker though). Perhaps the better method is to simply send an email to someone you trust who has expertise on a particular set and hope it goes no further. I have done this succesfully in the past before and have also answered emails from others about certain caramel cards and obaks and painfully laid off them while they went for a song. Sometimes it is nice to realize that an awful lot of our fellow collectors are great guys, not all, but the vast majority are ready to help and assist.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete ullman

t206collector you really stole that o'hara...sweet deal...i saw it...because of your post...and I knew it was real. I should have outbid you on it! Ha Ha! tobeecat rules!

The first time I saw a live auction posted I was kinda shocked! Why would someone draw such attention if they were interested in pursuing it. Then I grew to enjoy looking at these auctions I may have otherwise missed. So post em if you wanna...but it's kinda stupid! Phone a friend!

pete in mn

Old 12-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Leon- I agree you can't prevent someone from posting a live auction, but how about as a New Year's resolution everyone who is a regular on the board agrees not to post them, or talk about some out of the mainstream country auction that's taking place some weekend that has a cache of vintage material. It's called the honor system, and we can all agree to abide by it. And also, to use tbob's example, if you are not sure if a card is real, email a friend privately. Once you put it on the board, it's a feeding frenzy in the making. This excludes warning board members of obvious fakes. That is something useful and encouraged.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

TBob, at least you learned a valuable lesson. Now how much should I set my snipe for on the sgc e97 young that you just brought to my attention? =o)

Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: nbbrazil

a better lesson is buying a card you thought was authentic/untrimmed...and finding out it is. the lesson you're talking about is a tough one...but is rarer and really didnt cost you any money (besides the possible profit).

not pre war, but i saw a crisp 1954 hank aaron johnston cookies on ebay once...raw. i asked the seller for many scans...and, based on these pictures, the card looked like it could grade at least a 6. I put in a snipe....but, it wasnt high enough (second bidder). i contacted the buyer after he graded it....it got a PSA 7...SMR twice the amount he bought it for!