NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Default W-517 What gives?

Posted By: Jeff J

I see there are several w517's for bid on Ebay which seem trimmed. They are listed as hand cut by PSA. The top or bottom of all cards are hand cut bit NOT the sides! What gives, why are they willing to encapselate these trimmed cards but will reject every other trimmed card? I am confused.
As an owner of a complete. uncut set of W517s I can tell instantly what is trimmed and what is not. Why can't they?

Wondering what others think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1931-W517-22-Jimmy-Dykes-PSA-7-NM-1-1-none-higher_W0QQitemZ8753151387QQcategoryZ86843QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fdnyladder7

It's a good looking card, but it is confusing. Our w517's were handcut short as well and recieved PSA "Authenticate" only. Reckon it all depends on if the grader got lucky the nite before.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Well, there is supposed to be a minimum measurement standard applied. I'm not really sure how they have graded W517s historically. But, if it falls within or very close to the guidelines, it should grade.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I agree, its all luck of the grader. With that PSA Authentic Ruth, I'd resubmit it for a numerical grade if you really want one. I returned a strip last week that was graded as authentic when I have high hopes it deserves a numerical. If you're looking to sell, I think its worth the extra money, and especially now with the $13/5 day special.

-Kyle-

Old 01-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

With all due respect, this has nothing to do with whether or not the cards were close to measurements.

What Jeff is getting at here is that the cards being sold on ebay are trimmed on the sides as well as the top and bottom. These cards were sold in vertical strips of 3, so the sides should NEVER be trimmed. I have handled over 100 of these cards with all different colored fronts and NONE of them ever came with a side/side border as small as the one in the auction linked by Jeff.

These are trimmed cards that have slipped through the grading process.

-Rhett Yeakley

Old 01-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Rhett, I didn't really examine the scan close enough to look at the sides of the card. I guess I was looking at in from a general standpoint. But, you're right. Just because they were supposedly "hand-cut", it should only allow for that in vertical sense.

I was simply looking at it from the cuts off the strip. Shame on PSA

Old 01-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I stupidly bought a GAI-authenticated V100 Hornsby with a shave and a haircut on all sides. Apparently, PSA and GAI have decided to treat the "authentic" label as a license to slab anything. SGC refused to encapsulate (grade or authenticate) some strips I sent in that it claimed were too small.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

I have a Foxx 517 graded 8, by SGC. The card has not been trimmed. The sides are completely original. Just more of PSA's inconsistancy I guess. It is sad how far PSA has fallen in the past couple years. I hope they can turn it around.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I am glad that you mentioned this Jeff. My original reaction was that the Dykes appeared too narrow, although still a good looking card. Similarly, I felt that the Terry was also too narrow.

But that kinda put me to wondering ... how could a seller come up with two PSA slabbed cards which were apparently too narrow, at the same time?

So, I thought - almost can't be done. And I put a bid in on the Terry, which even if it was trimmed narrow and wrongly slabbed by PSA; it still would be priced alright. A waste of my time, the card went for double my bid.

If it wasn't for the misleading slabs, I would never had considered these two cards. Quality control for a company who sells themselves as an "authority" is crucial for higher priced cards. Fortunately both of these are <$100. But the winners still consider their payment as real money. So does the seller.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Rhett is correct, I was asking about the trimmed sides. This goes against the gradng system entirely if they allow the sides of these (or any strip card) to be trimmed. If they allow this and they sell well, I COULD make up several Mint Ruths cut carefully from full strips, but it ain't right. Nor will I. What I also dont understand is that to my knowledge no grading comapny will grade or encapsolate the full 3 card strip, yet this is how it was issued to the public!!!
How totally wierd.

JJ

Old 01-23-2006, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Yes, this is real money on both sides. It's also a 4 sided trimmed card they just bought. Having them all in uncut format (full strips), I can prove it. I hate to see people get ripped off. Why does a grading service allow this?

JJ