NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 01-16-2022, 10:40 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Default 1980 US Olympic Hockey Set (1981 Swedish Semic)

Recently completed this near team set for the 1980 Olympic Hockey Team. The Miracle on Ice. It contains 17 of the 20 from the '80 team and Les Auge (who was cut prior to the Olympics). The 3 players not included were: Wells, O'Callahan and Craig.

These Swedish VM Semic stickers were produced in 1981 for the World Championships (held in Sweden) and were meant to be placed in a collector's album.
For many of the US players, this is one of their only cards from an active career, non-tribute set. I know of a 1980 Baltimore regional set but have yet to see one.

In reality, only 6 players from the 1980 team returned to play for Team USA in 1981. Baker, Christian, Johnson, Harrington, Pavelich and Suter. I assume they simply used Olympic rosters to make this set.

Last edited by jp1216; 01-16-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:20 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Found the team picture that all of these mug shots were taken from.
Likely taken a couple months prior to the '80 Olympics.
Craig and O'Callahan are pictured but absent is Mark Wells....

Apparently, Wells was out for about 4 months before the Olympics with an ankle fracture and was the last player officially added to the roster.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:53 PM
Ed

Default miracle on ice

nice research on this set!
-Ed
Old 01-19-2022, 02:46 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I see Jack Hughes in the photo who I believe was the last player cut, and Ralph Cox. You may be interested to know that under International Olympic Committee rules Steve Janaszak is not an Olympian. You will not find him on the IOC website under the athletes search. You will find him listed on Olympedia.com, a site which I have contributed to, and now controlled by the IOC. He is listed as a non-starter which translates to non-competitor. If you did not actually compete in an event you are not considered an Olympian in the eyes of the IOC. The same is true for goalie John Blue. He was on the 1988 team, but saw no ice time and as such not an Olympian. Many sports carry alternates (rowing, athletics, gymnastics) who attend and can be used if an athlete is injured or sick, but no guaranty that they will be.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 01-19-2022 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:44 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Great info Michael!
Can't believe Janaszak didn't see the ice for a period against Romania or Norway...
At least he got a medal!
Old 01-19-2022, 08:03 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
Great info Michael!
Can't believe Janaszak didn't see the ice for a period against Romania or Norway...
At least he got a medal!
I do not know if he got a medal. I know they got their medals during the ceremony. I have never seen a photo of him wearing his. I am curious, but never had the nuggets to ask him the few times I bumped into him at events.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 01-19-2022 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:06 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

I hope they didn't make him take it off and return it....

But now I've seen this picture where Janaszak is the only one without a medal...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80usa.jpg (194.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by jp1216; 03-24-2023 at 06:02 AM.