NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 11-26-2021, 08:20 AM
Scott S

Default FS: Mike Tyson Panini SuperSport RCs from fact sets - Italian & UK just back from PSA

Hi - offered up for sale are two Mike Tyson Panini SuperSport #153, one each of the Italian and UK versions.

Both have just returned from PSA, and I was shocked by the grades of 2, as I imagine you will be as well from the images. I will thoroughly describe the cards for you, and why they're graded as they are.

I just recently opened a couple of factory sets of these SuperSport sets. The factory sets were packed with these cards (which actually are stickers) in stacks of 20-25, with each stack held together with an elastic. The corners on all of the cards remained well protected and perfectly sharp. But depending on where the card was in the stacks, the elastic often left some sort of little horizontal indentation near the center of the card. (They are very thin and fragile.) If it was at the top of the stack, the indentation was more severe, while those in the middle were much more protected. I'm calling it an indentation and not a crease, since this seems like less than a crease - it doesn't go through to the back, and is minor across the front, often only seen when held at an angle. These high-res scans don't even show anything.

These Tysons were both closer to the center of the stack, and were left in fantastic shape, with just a very very minor impression across each card. YOU DON'T EVEN SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE CARD IN THE CASE, OR THE SCAN! I'M HOLDING THESE NOW AND THEY LOOK PERFECT! (Sorry, my frustration with PSA led me to discover the caps lock for a second there! ) I graded several other cards with PSA from another one of these sets a couple of years ago that all had very similar impressions, which all got about 6s (+/- 1). I totally expected the same for these Tysons - about a 6, even though they looked like 8s and 9s - and was really shocked and disappointed to see 2s for the grades. The cards look MINT - I don't understand how these would classify as just a 2 for something less than a crease.

(And also - the "Newton's Rings" effects on these new PSA holders suck. Makes the cards look wet or stained in the case, but believe me, that's not on the card. They're gorgeous! Not familiar with the issue on their new cases? Read about it here)

Also, someone just asked me if there is a tilt to the card - THERE IS NO TILT / DIAMOND CUT. The way the gasket (is that what it's called?) inside the case is angled, the card rests at an angle. So there's definitely not a diamond cut to it - it's perfectly straight, but thanks to the PSA case, may appear to be angled a bit.

If grading didn't take months and $150 per card, I would absolutely play the crack and re-sub game with these. But it's not for me right now at those rates - so here we are, with me explaining a crazy low grade.

I'm pricing them better than a 2 typically would sell for, since I feel the appearance definitely warrants it. A less appealing 3 (Italian version) sold for $2,225 on eBay in August.

Prices (net to me):
- Italian version: $2,750
- UK version: $2,400

Want some bigger scans? Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you some big hi-res scans....

Thanks for looking!
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tysons 5.jpg (77.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg tysons 6.jpg (77.5 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by scooter729; 11-26-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:48 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Man, those are amazing looking 2’s. I see 4’s with light creases frequently.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:43 PM
Scott S

Thanks Greg - yeah, this one totally threw me for a loop. A costly loop as well. I had a handful of other cards in the same sub, and got exactly the grades I expected - but they missed the boat on these for sure....
Old 11-26-2021, 07:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have heard that the crack and resub game is no longer viable because they have some way to fingerprint the card so they know it's been there before and how it graded. And Turner has said grades are final.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-26-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:13 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have heard that the crack and resub game is no longer viable because they have some way to fingerprint the card so they know it's been there before and how it graded. And Turner has said grades are final.
They should concentrate on getting some other things corrected first IMO.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:06 PM
Chase

The idea that their graders are now never wrong is one more slap in the face to their submitters.