NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2022, 07:05 PM

Default T206 "Magie" Error Prices

I know its an error card, but it is rare and from the most sought after set ever produced. Whats everyones thoughts on this card for a long term hold and value perspective? A nice lower grade just ended on ebay, prices seem to be rising pretty steadily on this card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33427383235...rdt=true&rt=nc

Last edited by investinrookies; 01-06-2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:27 PM
P.aul Orl,in

I agree that it is an excellent investment. It is clearly rarer than all but the Wagner/Doyle/Plank and a notch rarer than Demmitt/OHara. Hard to see it going down from these prices given the interest in T206’s that has exploded.

I have this SGC 4 i bought some years back. I see that PSA doesn’t even have a sale listed on anything over a 3.5 and that was 7 years ago. So condition is tough here too, so even a modest grade is desirable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83A80319-2AC3-4BE5-9FD0-80E9C3E2666E.jpg (8.8 KB, 1463 views)
Old 01-06-2022, 09:28 PM

I think it’s a great investment. It’s one of the “Big 4” of the greatest card-set ever made (not just sports). As long as t206 is a good investment, Magie will be a great investment. Personally, I think t206 is cardboard gold

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 01-07-2022 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:21 PM

I'm apologizing in advance for the scan because I had to find one that I posted almost 15 years ago because I'm not on my computer. I believe it was early 2001, just out of school with a car payment and a mediocre at best job, a Magie showed up on Ebay and I was in the middle of collecting the T206 set. I showed the auction to my dad, who called me at work to say that he won the card for $1,775 and I could pay him back $1,500 and the rest would be a birthday present. I was both thrilled and wondering where I would get $1,500 from. I'd say it was a good purchase seeing what they go for now, but it sure did leave me broke for a little while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 270098991_990229728508767_4661903307826582170_n.jpg (43.1 KB, 1452 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-07-2022, 06:21 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Psa 1....

Pretty happy when I got this off the T206 buy sell boards on here in early 2020.

0-18.jpg

0-19.jpg
Old 01-07-2022, 06:23 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Great card and actually like the look of it.

Plus it is a famous error card of a famous set.

It makes a great investment

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-07-2022, 07:18 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

OK, as everyone is on the same page, I will be the contrarian (a.k.a. self-designated sh*tkicker).

Who is going to care one whit about Sherry Magie in 20 years?

Is the next generation of investment bankers and crypto millionaires going to go bonkers over him for some reason?

Is he about to get the ESPN Final Dance treatment?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-07-2022 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:09 AM
James M

For a lot of sets, I think that kind of logic applies. But I think T206 cards capture the imagination of collectors of all ages. I think even younger collectors understand the importance of the Wagner, and once they learn about the Wagner, they will get lured into the rest of the set. The Magie is needed for a complete set, and there will be collectors out there looking to complete the set (possibly up to Wagner and Doyle) for the rest of time. Given the very limited supply, I think it is unlikely this card will decline in value. It isn't like another 200-300 copies will just show up tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:11 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 Magie

Steve

I usually agree with you....but I cannot this time.

I acquired my first MAGIE card in the 1980's. It cost me 600 for a Vg one. I sold it for 1500 in the mid 1990's.

In 2006, I bought another MAGIE card for my PIEDMONT set. It cost me 4000 for a Vg one.

Nowadays, MAGIE cards in similar condition are selling (direct sales or Auctions) for 10K, or more.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-07-2022, 09:30 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

I know people who has multiple copies of Magie and Plank. Pretty sure there are people has multiple Wagner, Cobb back and possibly Doyle Nat'l. I don't see their prices would drop at all....

Last edited by chriskim; 01-07-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:10 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Lol. Just trying to stir the pot as usual . . . .

Ted hope you are staying healthy and well. I believe you are in Jersey as am I. Seems like every other person I know right now (including my wife) has tested positive. Be safe out there as they said on Hill Street Blues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Steve

I usually agree with you....but I cannot this time.

I acquired my first MAGIE card in the 1980's. It cost me 600 for a Vg one. I sold it for 1500 in the mid 1990's.

In 2006, I bought another MAGIE card for my PIEDMONT set. It cost me 4000 for a Vg one.

Nowadays, MAGIE cards in similar condition are selling (direct sales or Auctions) for 10K, or more.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-07-2022, 12:12 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If any of you guys have a million dollars burning a hole in your pocket. . . . .

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c.../50008-50292.s
Old 01-07-2022, 12:41 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
OK, as everyone is on the same page, I will be the contrarian (a.k.a. self-designated sh*tkicker).

Is the next generation of investment bankers and crypto millionaires going to go bonkers over him for some reason?

I always appreciate the devil's advocate in these threads. I think the fact that we're sitting here in 2022 talking about a Sherry Magie card produced 113 years ago is evidence enough that it will still be relevant in 20 years.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:35 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Lol. Just trying to stir the pot as usual . . . .

Ted hope you are staying healthy and well. I believe you are in Jersey as am I. Seems like every other person I know right now (including my wife) has tested positive. Be safe out there as they said on Hill Street Blues.
Hey Steve

I'm originally a "Jersey Boy" (Phil Rizzuto was my nearby neighbor in Hillside, NJ).

When I retired (over 20 years ago), I was smart enough to "go West young man"....and we crossed the Delaware River into Pennsylvania.
It's a friendlier State, and taxes are considerably lower than Joisey.

This part of Bucks County (PA) has had a low incidence of of Covid. In fact, the town just north of us has NONE.

Take care, Steve.

TED Z
Old 01-07-2022, 02:06 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
If any of you guys have a million dollars burning a hole in your pocket. . . . .

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c.../50008-50292.s
i bet that magie is trimmed
Old 01-07-2022, 02:21 PM
Jim Parker

I think the one just ended on ebay was shilled a bit, but in the end it was priced likely appropriately. I agree with most that its a great card - a well-known error of the best-known old-timey set. The idea that its somewhat attainable (as opposed to wags/plank/doyle) make it a must have for me personally.....SO SELL ME ONE!
Old 01-07-2022, 02:50 PM
Fred

Quote:

It's all about the hype. Lot's of attention "now" probably means people will revere this card in the future.

It's easy to remember the T206 Wagner because of over 5 decades of hype. Yeah, I get it, it's Wagner. Who's Magee?

Just my personal thought - this card has been hyped to the point where it's a must have card in the (arguably) most collected turn of the century tobacco card offering. If people with cash want it because it's so hyped, they'll pay the price. If I had unlimited resources, I'd probably own one. But since I don't, I'll spend my cash on stuff that I like. Sometimes it just turns into one of those "cardboard measuring contest" things.

Just my opinion, as long as cardboard prices rise, this will also continue to rise. The more this becomes a deep pockets guy hobby, then you can rest assured that this card will probably rise in price faster than other cards in the set because of the hype.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:01 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
i bet that magie is trimmed
I'm not sure about trimmed, but perhaps a generous grade (8). The top corners are a little softer than the bottom corners but I don't see the bat ears at the corners that would be the tell tale sign of trimming. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it was trimmed. Awesome centering and registration.

Magee1.jpg

Magee 2.jpg
Old 01-08-2022, 09:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I'm not sure about trimmed, but perhaps a generous grade (8). The top corners are a little softer than the bottom corners but I don't see the bat ears at the corners that would be the tell tale sign of trimming. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it was trimmed. Awesome centering and registration.

Attachment 496575

Attachment 496576
Not sure those top borders get an 8 today. But you can offer less than the 990k....

Last edited by Leon; 01-08-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:58 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Bat ears? lol

[QUOTE=Fred;2183167]I'm not sure about trimmed, but perhaps a generous grade (8). The top corners are a little softer than the bottom corners but I don't see the bat ears at the corners that would be the tell tale sign of trimming. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it was trimmed. Awesome centering and registration.

Fred,

Based on your "bat ears" comments, would love to hear your opinion on these 2 cards. Trust me I already know the answer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (12.6 KB, 1085 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9108 copy 3.jpg (77.9 KB, 1099 views)
Old 01-09-2022, 05:26 PM
Fred

Ewe... Just my humble opinion - without actually having it in hand to look at all angles it's tough to say. That said, the Paige has "that" look but would hate to make that judgement call on one picture.

I can't see anything wrong with the Phillip card because of the picture size and angle.

Just curious, what grades do the cards have?
Old 01-09-2022, 05:40 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thank you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Ewe... Just my humble opinion - without actually having it in hand to look at all angles it's tough to say. That said, the Paige has "that" look but would hate to make that judgement call on one picture.

I can't see anything wrong with the Phillip card because of the picture size and angle.

Just curious, what grades do the cards have?
No problem. Both cards came from original owner collections. Cards that were undisturbed for 70 plus years. Thank god collections still exist to be found although quite rare as we all know. I've been fortunate to have been in a few great original finds since 1976 including these and some 1957-58 Topps Basketball that were found in their original vending machines (1 penny type). Those cards were most likely pulled from vending or wax packs and then put into the machines by the store owner way back when. Most of those had bat ears and were found in an attic that had vending machines from a long ago closed general store in Vermont. This was over 30 years ago so i digress.

The 1948s show "bat ears" a bunch and were graded by 3 companies (SGC, BVG and PSA) trying to play the "grading" game long ago. In over about 75 instances NONE were ever deemed altered. The Bowman Basketball averaged out at 8s across the collection. The Paige got a 1.5 due to the tape.

My only point (no pun intended) was to show you a couple cards that came from original owners that had never seen the light of day and thankfully never have seen a blade other than the one at Bowman and Leaf back in 1948.

I just feel that saying what you said about "bat ears" is a bit misleading and not true in all instances.

Thanks for letting me rant! lol

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 01-09-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There are three truly great sets at the heart of the pre-1980 hobby: T206, 1933 Goudey and 1952 Topps. They are all widely distributed and basically available (except for a few variations) and as a consequence are the most widely collected of all vintage sets. Given that circumstance, who Sherry Magee was as a player is far less important than who Sherry 'Magie' is in the T206 set. I'd say the desirability of the card is a pretty safe bet for the future. May not have explosive growth, but it isn't gonna go to zero unless way worse stuff happens than is likely.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-09-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:52 AM
Ron Rice

Default Magie

I think that a legit card of Magie is a great investment. T206 is such a well-known set to collect, that won't change in 20 years. Now that PSA 8 Magie might be a bit suspect. The upper right edge narrows a bit, like somebody shaved a little off the edge to make the corner look better perhaps. Hard to say but for that price you'd want to be sure.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:24 PM

We should not be rewarding incompetence. The portrait card with 'Magee' should be the more expensive version, because everything is accurate on it.

Brian (card not mine, and I tossed my copy of Magie because I just couldn't tolerate its flawed nature)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206mageeportrait.jpg (67.4 KB, 1006 views)
Old 01-10-2022, 12:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
We should not be rewarding incompetence. The portrait card with 'Magee' should be the more expensive version, because everything is accurate on it.

Brian (card not mine, and I tossed my copy of Magie because I just couldn't tolerate its flawed nature)

Or not...
Old 01-10-2022, 01:41 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
I think that a legit card of Magie is a great investment. T206 is such a well-known set to collect, that won't change in 20 years. Now that PSA 8 Magie might be a bit suspect. The upper right edge narrows a bit, like somebody shaved a little off the edge to make the corner look better perhaps. Hard to say but for that price you'd want to be sure.
Just wondering . . . .What do you think the average age of a T206 collector is these days?

Not to get too heavy . . . but 55 years old plus three decades for most men is, shall we say, officially the post colleting era?
Old 01-10-2022, 04:50 PM
Rob

Quote:
Just wondering . . . .What do you think the average age of a T206 collector is these days?

Not to get too heavy . . . but 55 years old plus three decades for most men is, shall we say, officially the post colleting era?
There will come a time when baseball is no longer played. One day a T206 Magie will be meaningless, maybe in 500 years, 5000, 50,000, 500,000 years. A T206 Magie has always been a valuable card in the hobby, long before I was born. In 20-30 years, I expect the Turkey Red Rafer Alston to still be on eBay, and Magie's will cost $200,000 due to inflation.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:18 PM
Sean Costello

I don't understand this thread. Magee is not a popular player, and yet the Magie card is a big card one hundred ten years after it was printed. If we haven't lost interest in the card in 110 years, what is going to be different in the next 20 years?

Last edited by Sean; 01-10-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:23 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I don't understand this thread. Magee is not a popular player, and yet the Magie card is a big card one hundred ten years after it was printed. If we haven't lost interest in the card in 110 years, what is going to be different in the next 20 years?
Winner!

Or not...
Old 01-10-2022, 09:20 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Old 01-11-2022, 10:14 AM
Kevin Petitpas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Generations will be different. The kids of today might be more interested in collecting NFT’s in 20 years than “ancient” cardboard. The digital age is changing the world faster now than ever before. The love of these cards has lasted over 100 years so far but could also change in a relative heartbeat.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:32 AM
Drew W@i$e

While I believe it holds value, not sure of it as an investment piece. Most likely only T206 set collectors will be interested, so you have already limited part of the collecting market.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:09 PM
Steve Birmingham

There are also collectors that go for the "best" cards in a set, "best" being defined as the most expensive.

What could be interesting, if as some have hinted that the hobby has changed to being about commodity and not the cards....

In a graded case, the correct card is less common... So harder to find for a registry set going on just the numbers.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:45 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Winner!
For the same reason that Elvis Presley and Bob Hope memorabilia holds no appeal to anyone today under the age of 50.

And damm, that market for Louie Prima and Ernie Kovacs memorabilia is off the charts.

Times change; tastes change.

Amazing to me how little demand I see at auction for bands from the 1960s except a handful of them (Stones, Beatles, Who, Pink Floyd.)

(And please spare my the obligatory retort about how your 9 year old son or nephew can't collect enough Elvis memorabilia. Seriously.)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-12-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:32 PM
Rob

Steve, not sure what series you collect, but a T206 Magie, is not a Rocco Colavito Topps card. It's why I referenced Rafer Alston, Luis Gonzalez, and Steve Finley. They are about my age and played well for my hometown teams. They are not hofers or part of important sets, so as the years go by, I expect their value to remain stagnant.

Steve Finley is like Corey Hart (apologies to our Canadian neighbors). T206 Magie is like a first release Scott Joplin record. Baseball will have to go away from our culture before baseball cards become worthless, especially cards from the T206 series.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:42 PM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
While I believe it holds value, not sure of it as an investment piece. Most likely only T206 set collectors will be interested, so you have already limited part of the collecting market.
Yes but I think this undersells the number of true T206 collectors. This message board is just a small slice of the prewar card collecting population. There are likely tens of thousands of people scattered throughout the country who collect prewar baseball cards, T206 especially and have no idea Net54 exists. Their level of dedication and budgets will vary. But there is an appetite for these cards. Look no further than a typical day on ebay with auctions ending and Piedmont/SweetCap commons getting bid up to $70-90 bucks a piece. Off back Ty Cobbs brining mid 5 figures regularly the auction houses.

The Magie is a rare card. PSA has graded 135 total, SGC 79. Assuming a few crossovers in that total, and maybe a small handful buried away raw in cigar boxes somewhere waiting to be discovered, you are talking about a total of less than 250 copies of this card that exist in the world. There are more than 250 people out there who would want to own this card because they want a complete T206 set. If the value of the card goes down, it is likely because of other major things happening in the world causing the price of every non-essential good/service to go down
Old 01-12-2022, 06:51 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Agreed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
Yes but I think this undersells the number of true T206 collectors. This message board is just a small slice of the prewar card collecting population. There are likely tens of thousands of people scattered throughout the country who collect prewar baseball cards, T206 especially and have no idea Net54 exists. Their level of dedication and budgets will vary. But there is an appetite for these cards. Look no further than a typical day on ebay with auctions ending and Piedmont/SweetCap commons getting bid up to $70-90 bucks a piece. Off back Ty Cobbs brining mid 5 figures regularly the auction houses.

The Magie is a rare card. PSA has graded 135 total, SGC 79. Assuming a few crossovers in that total, and maybe a small handful buried away raw in cigar boxes somewhere waiting to be discovered, you are talking about a total of less than 250 copies of this card that exist in the world. There are more than 250 people out there who would want to own this card because they want a complete T206 set. If the value of the card goes down, it is likely because of other major things happening in the world causing the price of every non-essential good/service to go down
There are also PLENTY of folks that do not collect the T206 series as a set and just want a rare card like this! Like me!

Been hearing about it all my collecting life since 1976 and now I proudly own one. (Thanks to a net54 seller). I feel lucky.

It's not going down! If it does, I'll buy more! lol

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 01-12-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:18 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Steve, not sure what series you collect, but a T206 Magie, is not a Rocco Colavito Topps card. It's why I referenced Rafer Alston, Luis Gonzalez, and Steve Finley. They are about my age and played well for my hometown teams. They are not hofers or part of important sets, so as the years go by, I expect their value to remain stagnant.

Steve Finley is like Corey Hart (apologies to our Canadian neighbors). T206 Magie is like a first release Scott Joplin record. Baseball will have to go away from our culture before baseball cards become worthless, especially cards from the T206 series.
I never argued that the card was going to zero, just only that I question if its a great investment at this point. The huge run up in the market the last couple of years, as far as I can tell, has been fueled by new blood (and wealthy new blood) trying to get culturally significant stuff that has broad appeal. Babe Ruth first and foremost. Jackie. Jordan. Mantle. Jeter. Clemente. Icons like that. Yes, the rising tide has lifted almost all boats. I just question if there is going to be steadily increasing demand for cards of people that, well, maybe 99.6% of true die hard baseball fans (who don't collect) have never heard of. I seriously doubt it, but time will tell. An error card is an anomaly. I get the appeal. I used to collect stamps. Error issues are huge. They are indisputably cool. I just think the interest level in things like the Magie error card is limited to a much smaller circle of collectors than you'd imagine from reading this board.

Obviously just my opinion and I'm wrong as much as the next guy. I thought Amazon at $35 was overpriced.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-12-2022 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:23 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
I never argued that the card was going to zero, just only that I question if its a great investment at this point. The huge run up in the market the last couple of years, as far as I can tell, has been fueled by new blood (and wealthy new blood) trying to get culturally significant stuff that has broad appeal. Babe Ruth first and foremost. Jackie. Jordan. Mantle. Jeter. Clemente. Icons like that. Yes, the rising tide has lifted almost all boats. I just question if there is going to be steadily increasing demand for cards of people that, well, maybe 99.6% of true die hard baseball fans (who don't collect) have never heard of. I seriously doubt it, but time will tell. An error card is an anomaly. I get the appeal. I used to collect stamps. Error issues are huge. I just think the interest level in things like the Magie error card is limited to a much smaller circle of people than you'd imagine from reading this board.

For sure- once all the people who grew up watching him play die off I think the card will lose a ton of cultural relevance.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 01-12-2022, 08:35 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I would love to add a Magie to my Piedmont portrait run, there's only 250 of them, that makes the hunt fun. What do I care what it's worth when I die, that's my kids problem.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-12-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
for sure- once all the people who grew up watching him play die off i think the card will lose a ton of cultural relevance.
+1000.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:12 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Now now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
For sure- once all the people who grew up watching him play die off I think the card will lose a ton of cultural relevance.
Pete,

I still remember that 1910 season where he won the batting title. My dad got so mad after buying me that season's pass when I promptly skipped all of 11th grade to see the games! To be fair I looked older than I was so I did not stand out.

Lived at 2601 North Broad Street, Philadelphia PA so the park was a stone's throw away. Still get mail forwarded from that address inexplicably?

Weird!

I hope I'm not the only one left? Sherry toast to Mr. Magee......or is it Magie?

Damn!

Last edited by vthobby; 01-12-2022 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

To sort of address the question more seriously.

I've been into a bunch more hobbies, and have seen things work different ways.

In most hobbies, there has been time when it had some degree of popularity.
And "high prices" to go along with that popularity.
For most hobbies, as the popularity fades, so do the prices. And along with that the availability of the better items also vanishes.

I suspect there's a price level after which a hobby becomes a bit more stable.
Portions of the hobby will see popularity surges and retreats, but the overall hobby will remain.
Another big part of that is how easily people can cross over from one area of the hobby to another.
Also, how old the hobby is.

Glass telephone/telegraph insulators were "big" in the early 70's. The common stuff was sellable even in rough condition, and the good stuff just kept getting better.
Now? The cheap common stuff is at 1970's pricing, but only if it's in great condition. The price is basically the nuisance cost of dragging a boxful to a place where someone might buy them.
But the good ones have done pretty well, just nowhere near as well as cards.

In bikes, at one time it was mostly about the 30's -50's balloon tire bikes. Schwinn Phantom, Bowden spacelander, and Evinrude. All became pretty expensive, but as the people who wanted them got theirs and some older collectors died out, there was less demand. Those bikes are still pricy, but not as crazy as they were (except maybe evinrude, I haven't even seen one in years)
But early high end BMX stuff? That's been going crazy for a few years now. Same for the stuff I collect, or did until they became too expensive.

But in a few years, both those areas will fade a bit. The crossover in both interest and knowledge is difficult.

That's not really true for cards. Crossing over between modern/postwar/prewar is fairly easy. And the sport while it has changed is essentially the same sport.

And there's a lot more money in the hobby, which surprisingly keeps things relatively stable.

I think the Magie will be a "good" card for quite some time into the future.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:19 PM

Default T206 "Magie" Error Prices

enjoy reading everyone opinions and insight. I was inclined to ask this question because when I look at VCP prices it appears prices on this card have not risen like some others or to the degree of other more popular mainstream cards, depending on the grade. Definitely a great key card to own, but maybe the fact that "Magee" is not a HOFer and it being an "error" card limits its upside potential or maybe its over-looked?

Last edited by investinrookies; 01-14-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
enjoy reading everyone opinions and insight. I was inclined to ask this question because when I look at VCP prices it appears prices on this card have not risen like some others or to the degree of other more popular mainstream cards, depending on the grade. Definitely a great key card to own, but maybe the fact that "Magee" is not a HOFer and it being an "error" card limits its upside potential or maybe its over-looked?
All good points...
Old 01-18-2022, 08:59 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:

Seems reasonable, though as I mentioned earlier, on the PSA pop charts, only 7 out of 112 are above a 4 vg-ex. So not many high end specimens exist and have traded. Many of the recent auctions are graded 1 to 3. Might need increasing prices of higher end specimens to pull up the lesser graded (and more numerous) ones more?

Last edited by puckpaul; 01-19-2022 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
Seems reasonable, though as I mentioned earlier, on the PSA pop charts, only 7 out of 112 are above a 4 vg-ex. So not many high end specimens exist and have traded. Many of the recent auctions are graded 1 to 3. Might need increasing prices if higher end specimens to pull up the more common ones?

That’s an interesting point and makes a lot of since. I didn’t realize it was so rare in higher grades. Wonder how that compares to the plank for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2022, 06:55 AM

There is a decent looking 3 in heritage, currently sitting at $24k. Let’s see how that shakes out. I bought my psa 3 over 5 years ago for just over $21k. I paid a record at the time bc it is a great looking example. If/when I ever go to sell it, I will absolutely make my money back and I almost certainly will make money. To me, that’s all I can really ask for in a card - minimal downside with real upside potential, and I think the Magie error fits that billing well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 226220E5-BC62-406F-825E-A651625DFE8F.jpg (10.2 KB, 601 views)
Old 01-19-2022, 08:22 AM
James M

Quote:
That’s an interesting point and makes a lot of since. I didn’t realize it was so rare in higher grades. Wonder how that compares to the plank for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
here is the combined PSA and SGC pop report

There are a total of 214 Magie's graded between PSA and SGC (and likely less, because a few of those are probably crossovers) and 115 Planks.

Of those, 15% of the Magies are either a 4 or higher, while 24% of the Planks are 4 or higher.

47% of the Magies are either an A, 1, 1.5 or 2, compared to 56% of the Planks.

The most common grade for the Plank is an A (25 out of 115, or 22%) and the most common grade for the Magie is a 1 (64 out of 214, or 30%)