NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 AM
Rich Klein

Default Why and with conditions would you grade a card

And please NO Comments about leaving cards raw --- for the purposes of this discussion we will presume that cards will be graded.

I was having a spirited discussion with a friend of mine yesterday about why he was preparing cards for grading:

His theorem was that as long as he hit a minimum grade required to goose up the value of the card significantly that was the primary reason to have a card graded.

My theorem was that as long as the grading cost was 15-20 percent of the card's value that the card was worth being graded. In my case, since I've been doing monthly shows and have been known to drop cards, I also wanted the extra protection

A third theorem is that to have easy ways to ID cards in case of theft, or other damages.

I'm sure there are other ideas -- but I'm interested in if you have submitted cards, the reasons there of. (And again, this is not designed to be a raw versus Graded discussion - that is an argument for a different day)

Regards
Rich
Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Ad@m Be11

I think grading serves many benefits. I too enjoy the extra physical protection it provides my cards. In addition, since the majority of purchases are made online, I enjoy the 2nd opinion that the TPG provides, particularly on higher valued items. I would hope that I can spot a fake, but we're all human and in my mind, 2 sets of eyes is better than one. Lastly, if and when I go to sell my collection or my kids liquidate it after I'm gone, it will be harder for them to get swindled. I also like having my cards in the registries as another back up for insurance purposes.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Clayton

I've only had cards graded a couple of times, once to crossover cards from GAI because I was reading things that made me wonder whether the grade was accurate or whether I should have them examined again by another party.

Also sent in raw cards because I actually do like them in slabs, for protection purposes. I also think they display well in slabs, like little pieces of art

I have cards graded by the top three in my collection (SGC, BVG, and PSA) and I have some that I keep in their raw state just incase I need to feel or smell a card

So, for me, I would grade a card that I thought would get at least a 40, or a 3- I think that would be worth the money spent (for the type of card I collect, T206)......and mainly for protection purposes as well as handling and display purposes. I've damaged modern cards trying to pull them out of old penny sleeves and I surely don't want to damage a 100+ year old card.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Jake

Another thing for insurance purposes. I would have to believe it would be easier to say I have a WaJo PSA 5 vs. saying I have an VG-EX WaJo. Since self grading is very subjective the insurance company would probably hold a TPG in a higher regard.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Scott

I am an OCD collector that likes all of my cards (in a certain collection) to have been graded by the same company for uniformity's sake.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Tony Ooten

In the 3+ years since I've started collecting again in the TPG era, I've only considered having 3 cards graded:

1. an expensive (for me) card I bought raw a couple of years ago that now I'm suspecting may be a reprint. I'd like to know with some degree of certainty if it is "real" or not

2. A raw card I bought as a "probable reprint" (at a reprint price) that looks and feels like all the other cards I have in the set. I'm curious if I got a bargain on that card or if it is infact a reprint. If I send card #1 in, I'll probably let this one tag along just to see.

3. an expensive (for me) card that I bought in a BCCG holder. From what I gather, being in a BCCG holder should mean it is authentic, but beyond that, it would be nice to have it in a more respected holder to verify it is infact real and unaltered. I'll let it tag along with #1 and #2 if I pull the trigger on those.

Tony

Last edited by tonyo; 03-17-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Henry Nich.ols

Value.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

For an open market such as ebay i'd have it graded for value and buyer confidence. For something such as the bst where there is mutual trust between myself and a board member, i might keep it raw -- even for a pricier card -- and come to a fair market value. Virtually all my stuff is raw but i'm not a stickler about it, it's just the way i bought them. (If I bought a graded card I likely would not break it out).

Last edited by Paul S; 03-17-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Mike C@.v3

Default Tpg

Value, looks, and protection. Those are the three main reasons I currently use grading companies. Another reason that was mentioned was for insurance purposes and if you would pass your cards onto your children that they would be able to sell them or find the value more easily and not get duped.

I've dropped my cards more than once and although it sucks when you damage a slab, I'd rather have a crack or chip to the slab versus a card that gets significantly damaged because it was only in a top loader and fell out. I actually had this happen to me once...I was taking my autographed postcards over to a friends house and I had them in a box. When I got out of my car, for some reason the box slipped and I dropped them on his driveway. I was pissed to say the least, but the only damage was to about ten slabs and it was minor chipping along the edges of the slabs. Sucked that the slabs had damage, but the cards were unscathed.

Although I prefer graded, I respect everyone's preference for whatever reason.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Ken McMillan

Looks and protecting the card period
Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 PM

I would say where it would markedly increase resale value/sellability, where you want a second opinion about authenticity/alterations, and often where it's a real expensive card.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've started sending in some of mine. Slowly, but eventually I may do all the old stuff.
When I started I figured I'd just send in the few really nice ones. The value difference between raw and graded is more than the grading when SGC runs a special. I figure I don't really need it for the onew with huge creases or missing bits, I know they're poor and so will just about anyone else.

Once I did a few I kinda liked it. It's sort of like buying the card all over again and fun to see ones I picked as being especially nice do well. I'm now thinking about doing many more than I'd planned. Mostly the few tougher cards that aren't in good condition, maybe even the VG cards. Although I've got a bit of registryitis - My average grade is up there, and part of me enjoys that. I know it's silly, but for now it's cool.

I think the registry as a serial numbered catalog of the collection is useful.
And if my daughters don't like cards eventually there will be some benefit to the grades. Available pricing through something like VCP, and buyers wouldn't have to wonder if the cards are real/real but altered/fake so the selling would be easier.

Oddly I don't think the slabs really protect the card much better than a sleeve and toploader, at least for older thinner stuff. Sure it will protect a bit better against a bit of abuse, but I don't really do much to my cards that a toploader won't protect them from. (The 2 1/2 year old though.....All she gets are graded and stuff like 88 score. There's hope though since she's declared both T205s and T206s to be "very pretty")

Steve B
Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Matt Hall

If I were planning to sell a card that was worth more than 1k I might get it slabbed. It depends on the issue.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:49 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I have slabbed a few cards for resale. That's the only reason I would.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

1) To provide protection for the card and to essentially "stabilize" it.
2) To commoditize the card, once graded it becomes fungible with a probable/estimable resale value.
3) Allow for easier display.
4) To assign a descriptive narrative to the card.
5) To provide piece of mind.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Three that haven't been mentioned

Ketchup
Mustard
Red Wine

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Ketchup
Mustard
Red Wine
Frank, are you dining with your cards?

I thought I was bad sitting with one or two of mine on the couch......... (to stare at during commercials, of course )

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 AM
pete ullman

Resale...period!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Paul

In the day of internet trading and selling, grading provides an objective third set of eyes on which the two parties can agree for evaluating the condition of a card.

Long gone are the days of the dealer calling his VG card EXMT because the wrinkle is hard to see.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
In the day of internet trading and selling, grading provides an objective third set of eyes on which the two parties can agree for evaluating the condition of a card.

Long gone are the days of the dealer calling his VG card EXMT because the wrinkle is hard to see.
TPG have kind of standardized things, making it easier to sell via the internet.

If I did a lot of volume in cards on line, I'd get the higher end and key HOF'ers graded, as I think the potential customers want expensive cards graded.

Private transactions where you can handle and see the cards, not so much for me personally.

Most of my transactions are for lower end cards from high feedback sellers, so I don't really buy much graded.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Resale primarily, but also protection, and on occasion to match a new acquisition to an existing graded set.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Ketchup
Mustard
Red Wine
Geritol

Last edited by Paul S; 03-18-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Steven Finley

1. For the sets I collect I prefer the cards raw as I binder them.

2. For random PC cards I prefer SGC because I love the way the black cutouts make a displayed card pop. I also have a young child who loves to grab "Daddy cards...Daddy....Daddy....Cards!" so I don't have to worry about him destroying something of value.