NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 05-30-2021, 06:51 PM
Amit

Default Why aren't the 1952-54 Fickjournalen cards in Master sets

A Swedish Magazine called Fickjournalen ran a collectible set of mixed Athletes,Film Stars and Musicians.

Each issue starting in 1952-54 had a 4 card sheet on both the inside covers..front and back.

The sheet could be removed from the staples yielding an 8 card sheet or cut in half for 4 card sheets..of course individual cards could be cut out too.

I'm shocked that Master sets for some of boxing's greatest like Marciano and Walcott don't show these cards in their Master sets.

I'm curious why not..yes these are rare to find but they do show up on occasion and are very early cards for these boxing stars.

here is a link to an example of an 8 card sheet featuring Marilyn Monroe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333625683262
Old 05-31-2021, 06:39 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA has to grade the set before anyone can request the card be added to the PSA Set Registry. I looked up "Fickjournalen" in their search engine and got no hits. So it starts with convincing PSA to grade the cards first; once graded, someone working on the set has to request for it to be added to the Master Set. PSA doesn't just put every card made of a player in the Set Registry.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There’s probably more not in the PSA registry than in it. For boxing the registry is a joke.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-31-2021, 09:00 AM
Amit

I don't see much written up on a Google search on the boxing cards from this set.
All i know is that they are crazy hard to find and so few original magazines are left intact and on the market.

These truly can be some of the scarcest boxing cards to find.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Marciano:

I am not sure how rare they are, really, since there is no attention paid to them until now. There are a ton of European, Asian and South American cards with five or fewer known examples. Some of them are truly rare, some just have not been catalogued until recently. The latter will pour out of the woodworks when people realize they can make money on them. I think it is too early to handicap the Fickjournalen cards. Give it a few years and see how many come to market. The Rover Marciano has been around for a few years now.

I've seen maybe 3-4 of them. I suspect the Ficks are in the same boat but we need to see.

I used to think the Rekord cards were tough until the floodgates opened.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-31-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:38 AM
Amit

Default What about the Fantomen Magazine Boxing set

I had never heard of this set until i saw a lot for sale recently on a Foreign site.

Managed to snag a lot of 60 of the 80 cards in the set..i'm super excited and can't wait until they arrive.

If anyone wants any scans or info later on please lmk.

Would love every ones thoughts on this lesser known set...once again i don't think PSA has graded any and i saw a couple either graded or Authentic from SGC...
Old 06-01-2021, 06:42 AM
Amit

The hard part of those Fick Journal cards is determining what exactly the margins should be...in reality that varies from card to card based on sheet layouts and info on the cards.

some like the superb example of the Marciano you show can be cut evenly around..however if you look at my Monroe sheet several of the cards in the above row have 2 lines of print on the bottom identifying the card..this added print would result in the lower card when cut showing virtually zero white margin...all of them would look the same but grading companies would either say they were miscut or off center or worse undersized.