NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-06-2021, 04:14 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default BVG - slab in a baggy??

I am thinking of crossing over this Clemente to an SGC slab - love the card but I hate the shiny clear baggy they have it in inside the BVG slab (not sure if my photo captures it)

Has anyone else had this problem with the BVG slabs? I think it really takes away from the clarity of the card through the plastic and shiny inner bag

Think this one will hold a 6 if I cross over to SGC?

Thx for your thoughts -

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0248742A-35C6-485E-B2A8-881E83A333D1.jpg (19.9 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg 655AC610-F226-47B1-BD31-3F930D1FFA7A.jpg (20.1 KB, 227 views)
Old 09-06-2021, 06:30 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The baggie is a slight eyesore, but it also protects it from edge and other wear while inside the slab. PSA cards routinely (and some SGC cards) get edge wear due to the prongs or cutout.
Pictures are too far away to give a solid prospective grade.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The baggie is a slight eyesore, but it also protects it from edge and other wear while inside the slab. PSA cards routinely (and some SGC cards) get edge wear due to the prongs or cutout.
Pictures are too far away to give a solid prospective grade.
Heresy to say so on this board but I have always hated the "gaskets" SGC uses.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:13 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Heresy to say so on this board but I have always hated the "gaskets" SGC uses.
Really? I kind of prefer the SGC look… not a fam of BVG (even if they did not have the shiny baggy)
Old 09-07-2021, 07:27 PM
St@n Go.len

Might be a SGC 5 assuming no gum/surface issues

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2021, 08:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Really? I kind of prefer the SGC look… not a fam of BVG (even if they did not have the shiny baggy)
Not I. Really cheap quality acrylic, any holder that isn't very recent is inevitably scratched and scuffed and worst of all they don't really clean up with polish unlike PSA. Gaskets that people have said cause damage to cards if too snug a fit. Mediocre flips. None of that detracts from the quality of the grading, of course, just IMO a poor presentation.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:46 PM
Tim Odeen

I saw elsewhere that CSG is using baggies for some cards. So beware using them if you want to go bagless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-08-2021, 05:40 AM
J0hn Collin$

Depends on if you prefer the aesthetic over the protection. As others have said, both PSA and SGC have tons of cards that noticeably "bounce" around inside their slabs. Now, unless you are routinely using your slabs as air hockey pucks it may be hard to actually damage cards this way - but still I have never liked the look of "movement" in a slab, or the thought that even if slight and extremely gradual - I am somehow further damaging cards in slabs like that by handling them at all.

While the BVG sleeve will prevent this particular issue, I would agree that the materials they use are cheap, older slabs generally get to looking like crap, and above all that is the problem that their grading is not in line with other TPG's here in the 21st century. My current vote is basically to keep still raw cards raw...

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-08-2021 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:19 AM
Adam

Yeah, the BVG slabs are probably the most protective of any of the major graded slabs, but I'm not crazy about the look either. I'm an SGC guy too. But those bvg slabs are thick and that plastic inner bag is added protection. Some cards do get damaged in psa or sgc holders, I've seen it happen.

Anyway, regarding whether it will crossover to an SCG 6, we'd need better scans to tell for sure, but based on your pics, I'd say it's unlikely. Maybe a 5 though.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I saw elsewhere that CSG is using baggies for some cards. So beware using them if you want to go bagless.

beats the crap out of having a rattler.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-10-2021, 12:28 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

beats the crap out of having a rattler.
Jealous! Nice example to bring up. I need that Speaker in my collection. I think that is a really cool photo used.

Personally, I don't grade. I use a penny sleeve inside a top loader.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 09-10-2021 at 12:29 AM.