NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-07-2021, 04:32 PM

Default Newbie Help - Authentic?

Hello. I am new to vintage and looking at these two Willies. Wanting to make a deal on them but afraid to buy Raw from someone I dont know and doesn't have a background in Vintage that I can see. Supposedly offloading a few family cards. What are y'alls thoughts on authenticity of these cards and what would you pay? Thank you for your help!

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mbjerry; 09-07-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:37 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

You're really going to have to show photos that weren't taken through a screen door if you want opinions on authenticity.
Way too much interference.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 09-07-2021 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added emoji
Old 09-07-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
You're really going to have to show photos that weren't taken through a screen door if you want opinions on authenticity. Way too much interference.
Sorry about that. Try it from my phone this time...

This should be better.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:45 PM

One More...

Old 09-07-2021, 04:49 PM

This one may help.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:28 AM
Albert Bee

Default mays

good
Old 09-08-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
good
Thanks! I would like to learn something in the process. What helps you make that call? What am I looking for?

Old 09-08-2021, 06:51 AM
J@mes In.gram

Even, natural looking wear "patina"

Slightly glossy front

No gloss at all on the back, in fact rough feeling, like raw cardboard

No unnatural, trimmed off corners, no fake wear

No fake coffee or tea stains or artificial age

Normal looking 1950s printing characteristics when viewed through jeweler's loupe, ink-jet printing didn't exist in the 1950s

No fluorescence with black light

Normal cardboard stock for the card, not too thick, not too thin, but dense, no light coming through when held up to a lamp

Feels like an old card

Smells like an old card

Last edited by jingram058; 09-08-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Even, natural looking wear "patina"

Slightly glossy front

No gloss at all on the back, in fact rough feeling, like raw cardboard

No unnatural, trimmed off corners, no fake wear

No fake coffee or tea stains or artificial age

Normal looking 1950s printing characteristics when viewed through jeweler's loupe, ink-jet printing didn't exist in the 1950s

No fluorescence with black light

Normal cardboard stock for the card, not too thick, not too thin, but dense, no light coming through when held up to a lamp

Feels like an old card

Smells like an old card
Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:28 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbjerry View Post
Thanks! I would like to learn something in the process. What helps you make that call? What am I looking for?

People here can say things that are technically true, but the best way to learn is to flip through real vintage cards yourself. Get a pile of commons from a particular set or sets, and then play with them. Flip through a stack, get familiar with their quirks, idiosyncrasies, how they smell. What the print looks like up close. This is usually the first dead giveaway for obviously faked cards - something that has come off a modern laser printer is going to look nothing like the halftone dot process that was used on real vintage cards. Again, this can be explained, but difficult to learn in practice without experiencing yourself. Good luck!

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-09-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:37 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Again, this is where experience is almost essential. Different vintage cards can have vastly different cardboard stock. A 1956 Topps card, for example - is going to feel nothing like a 1970 Topps card in terms of thickness. The 70's are much thinner. I think the general rule is that Topps used crappier cardboard stock as 50's became the 60's, and then the problem got even worse as the 60's became the 70's. But there are differences within decades as well. 1958 Topps cards are generally slightly thicker than 1955 Topps cards. It takes handling of the cards over time to get familiar with things like that.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-09-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Again, this is where experience is almost essential. Different vintage cards can have vastly different cardboard stock. A 1956 Topps card, for example - is going to feel nothing like a 1970 Topps card in terms of thickness. The 70's are much thinner. I think the general rule is that Topps used crappier cardboard stock as 50's became the 60's, and then the problem got even worse as the 60's became the 70's. But there are differences within decades as well. 1958 Topps cards are generally slightly thicker than 1955 Topps cards. It takes handling of the cards over time to get familiar with things like that.
Thank you. That is a good idea to get a few small lots from some of the years to get an idea. My only option to get some of the cards that I want is raw. Can't afford them graded. Guess I will learn over time. I don't spend more than about $200 on a card so at least my mistakes won't be big ones.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:09 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Totally agree with this. I will add that, as a 70's set collector, it gets even more convoluted because the 1973 and 1977 sets are on really bad cardstock that makes the edges chip easily. Those years feel totally different that the years immediately preceding and following each. I love the 70's cards, but there are definitely many quirks to deal with.

Ed
Old 09-09-2021, 11:33 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Impossible to 100% confirm from pics

I can't call it either way from those pics. I have seen more fakes surfacing (mostly at shows) recently. If the seller has little or no reputation for selling vintage - be VERY careful! The suggestion of familiarizing yourself by handling bunches of od commons is a great one.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:50 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post
Totally agree with this. I will add that, as a 70's set collector, it gets even more convoluted because the 1973 and 1977 sets are on really bad cardstock that makes the edges chip easily. Those years feel totally different that the years immediately preceding and following each. I love the 70's cards, but there are definitely many quirks to deal with.
I think '73 was the worst. If you look at those corners wrong they will chip and fray before your eyes. It's a shame, because there are some things I really love about the '73 set, but yeah - the cardstock is awful. And centering and cut problems were running at an all time high as well.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-09-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I can't call it either way from those pics. I have seen more fakes surfacing (mostly at shows) recently. If the seller has little or no reputation for selling vintage - be VERY careful! The suggestion of familiarizing yourself by handling bunches of od commons is a great one.
Thanks. I bought the cards. Paid $290 for the pair so thought it was a pretty good deal. I have also bought a few raw commons from 58 and 59 to compare the Mays cards to.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
People here can say things that are technically true, but the best way to learn is to flip through real vintage cards yourself. Get a pile of commons from a particular set or sets, and then play with them. Flip through a stack, get familiar with their quirks, idiosyncrasies, how they smell. What the print looks like up close. This is usually the first dead giveaway for obviously faked cards - something that has come off a modern laser printer is going to look nothing like the halftone dot process that was used on real vintage cards. Again, this can be explained, but difficult to learn in practice without experiencing yourself. Good luck!
Took your advice and bought a few commons from 58 and 59 to compare the Mays cards to. I plan to buy a few commons from other years also as I progress and build a reference set.