NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-28-2023, 04:59 PM
Matt

Default Babe Ruth auto help

Could someone please turn this picture . Looking for opinions - thanks !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0279.jpg (180.3 KB, 466 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 09-28-2023, 05:12 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Can't turn it but based on looking at it sideways, I think it is legitimate.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:37 PM
Mike P.ap

Default .....

Here you go.

IMG_0279.jpg
Old 09-28-2023, 07:01 PM
Brendan Mullen

I’m not sold on it. There’s some things I like; some things I don’t. Any other info you can provide on it?
Old 09-28-2023, 08:39 PM
Matt

Thanks for the photo turn and opinions

It’s from a family who states their uncle got it . 😬

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
Old 09-29-2023, 05:13 PM
Brendan Mullen

I don’t like the a.

I don’t like the b.

I love the u t h.

I hate the crossing of the t.

I’m not a fan of the R.

I’m not a fan of the slant in general. I’m not a fan of the uncle getting it on a perfect 3x5 unlined card. And I’m not a fan of it being so bold.

With all that being said, if it’s fake it’s pretty good. The inconsistencies are ever so slight. I usually can tell within 3 seconds. This took me for a while. It matches up with some autos of Ruth’s that are slabbed. But it’s all so slightly different.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:34 PM
Matt

Thanks Brendan ! Appreciate your thoughts .

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 09-29-2023, 09:01 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Turning it horizontal did not change my mind.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:46 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Turning it horizontal did not change my mind.
Thank you ! 😀

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 09-30-2023, 07:16 AM

I share a lot of the same feelings as Brendan on this thing. Funny, my eye immediately went to the "uth" and that's my favorite part, too. Well, perhaps not that pointy last hump of the "h" which shows obvious hesitation, as does the crossing of the "t". It appears as though the signature stopped at the upstroke of that hump in the "h" and continued as a separate downstroke. That's a terrible sign.

I'd personally leave this thing alone.

Other things I'd be asking:

Is the ink even live? Could this be a laser print? What's up with the speckling on the paper? Is it dirt, age spots or incorporated into the paper itself? I'm guessing the latter. Is this even an index card? I don't offhandedly recall seeing any index cards with speckled paper like this, and I've handled hundreds of thousands of them, if not more. Do you know what kind of paper can occasionally be found with such speckling? The fly leaves of old books. They're a pretty darned plentiful and inexpensive source of old, thicker-than-average paper which can be conveniently trimmed to size.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 09-30-2023 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:16 AM
Brendan Mullen

Well, perhaps not that pointy last hump of the "h" which shows obvious hesitation, as does the crossing of the "t". It appears as though the signature stopped at the upstroke of that hump in the "h" and continued as a separate downstroke.

Spot on. I forgot to mention that hesitation. But yes exactly.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Matt

Thanks so much for the information. Great insight ! I haven’t seen it in person but I do believe it’s on a business card. Will post more info if I get any from the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
I share a lot of the same feelings as Brendan on this thing. Funny, my eye immediately went to the "uth" and that's my favorite part, too. Well, perhaps not that pointy last hump of the "h" which shows obvious hesitation, as does the crossing of the "t". It appears as though the signature stopped at the upstroke of that hump in the "h" and continued as a separate downstroke. That's a terrible sign.

I'd personally leave this thing alone.

Other things I'd be asking:

Is the ink even live? Could this be a laser print? What's up with the speckling on the paper? Is it dirt, age spots or incorporated into the paper itself? I'm guessing the latter. Is this even an index card? I don't offhandedly recall seeing any index cards with speckled paper like this, and I've handled hundreds of thousands of them, if not more. Do you know what kind of paper can occasionally be found with such speckling? The fly leaves of old books. They're a pretty darned plentiful and inexpensive source of old, thicker-than-average paper which can be conveniently trimmed to size.

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 10-02-2023, 08:59 PM
Brendan Mullen

Rarely will you see:

The loop in the “a” open and not closed

The crossed “t” touch the “R”

The crossing of the “t” so bold beginning to end. It’s almost always faint on one end, and bold on the other end
Old 10-02-2023, 09:06 PM
Brendan Mullen

Delete

Last edited by Bpm0014; 10-02-2023 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 05:33 AM
Matt

Thanks again for the help . Appreciate you sharing your knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Rarely will you see:

The loop in the “a” open and not closed

The crossed “t” touch the “R”

The crossing of the “t” so bold beginning to end. It’s almost always faint on one end, and bold on the other end

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 10-03-2023, 07:53 AM

It really does appear to have been signed "Babe Rutt", then that final stroke added separately to complete the h.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:12 AM
Kevin

At first quick glance I liked it, at further review I am really iffy and leaning towards either a really good forgery or a really odd authentic auto, though gun to my head I'd say its not genuine. Adding it appears as though its a cut/index card with littler to date it properly, I'd avoid this one.
Old 10-11-2023, 01:03 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
It really does appear to have been signed "Babe Rutt", then that final stroke added separately to complete the h.
Good catch on the h, the e has similar fluidity issues although I’m not sold that either proves it to be legitimate.

The truth is, Ruth’s auto, while beautiful, has more variation that most collectors realize. I think the consensus view on here (good forgery/odd authentic sig) is spot on.

I think it’d be a lot easier to determine one way or the other if you could have it hand.
Old 10-11-2023, 07:47 PM
Brendan Mullen

the e has similar fluidity issues

I’ve studied Ruth extensively. The fluidity issue in the “e” is actually a common Ruth trait. I can provide dozens of examples.
Old 10-11-2023, 07:48 PM
Brendan Mullen

Fluidity issues in the “h” is absolutely NOT a trait.