NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Dan

Default Legit Koufax?

So, it looks like I'm going to be able to settle with the Koufax (the one I was asking about in RE: Online Authentics). As I final assurance, I would appreciate the thoughts of the experts here on whether or not it looks legit.

As a budding collector, I can't thank the members here enough. I wish this place were a bar that I could order a round for all of you for all of your help.

Cheers,
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koufax2.jpg (26.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg koufax1.jpg (24.3 KB, 203 views)

Looking for anything Bagwell or Biggio. Also interested in Don Wilson, JR Richard, Jimmy Wynn, Glenn Davis, Mike Scott, Ken Caminiti, Cool Papa, Paige, and DiMaggio. Framed auto's are a plus. Also, any Type 1's of Josh Gibson.

"I had to fight all my life to survive. They were all against me, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."- Ty Cobb
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Looks good to me. If it has an online authentics COA, then it is 100% legit.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Looks good to me. If it has an online authentics COA, then it is 100% legit.
Thanks for the heads up. It has a OA sticker, but no LOA or COA. I do have a card, but nothing like what OA describes on their site.

Looking for anything Bagwell or Biggio. Also interested in Don Wilson, JR Richard, Jimmy Wynn, Glenn Davis, Mike Scott, Ken Caminiti, Cool Papa, Paige, and DiMaggio. Framed auto's are a plus. Also, any Type 1's of Josh Gibson.

"I had to fight all my life to survive. They were all against me, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."- Ty Cobb
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 PM

Genuine!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Dan

Thanks Scott!

So, should I assume silence from the rest of the crowd means agreement with Scott and Jim?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 PM
J@son.K

If this is a forgery, it's a damn good one! I'd buy it.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Can you show me the online authentic sticker on the picture.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Can you show me the online authentic sticker on the picture.
Absolutely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oa.jpg (34.4 KB, 119 views)

Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbejasAsesinas View Post
Absolutely.
it also has a Steiner sticker so I'd say the piece is GOLDEN. Where did you get it and how much!!!????
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Steve Zarelli

I understand a healthy bit of skepticism and thinking for yourself is good, but are we really at the point where Steiner items are being routinely questioned now?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I understand a healthy bit of skepticism and thinking for yourself is good, but are we really at the point where Steiner items are being routinely questioned now?

Steve, I'll provide a couple of explanations about why I asked.

1) I'm new to the hobby and I'm still feeling out what other collectors think about certain authenticators. The fact that Steiner has no identifying marks on their holograms (or at least this one), concerns me because....
2) This one was shipped with the wrong COA card. I received the 53 WS Game 1 wind-up card, where the photo is 65 WS Game 5 first pitch.

So I'd say the reason I ask is because I'm a newb and the COA mixup.

Thanks, and my apologies if I offended anyone by my questioning.

Cheers,
Dan

Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
it also has a Steiner sticker so I'd say the piece is GOLDEN. Where did you get it and how much!!!????
Thanks! I purchased it from Cardboard Legends, list price was $589 shipped and framed.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbejasAsesinas View Post
Steve, I'll provide a couple of explanations about why I asked.

1) I'm new to the hobby and I'm still feeling out what other collectors think about certain authenticators. The fact that Steiner has no identifying marks on their holograms (or at least this one), concerns me because....
2) This one was shipped with the wrong COA card. I received the 53 WS Game 1 wind-up card, where the photo is 65 WS Game 5 first pitch.

So I'd say the reason I ask is because I'm a newb and the COA mixup.

Thanks, and my apologies if I offended anyone by my questioning.

Cheers,
Dan
Dan

No offense and I didn't mean to come off as peevish. I can understand the caution... especially if you are new to the hobby and the cards were switched up.

In my experience, many of the hologramed items on the secondary market have missing COA cards. It just happens because the cards are often not stored with the item. Just last week I sold a JSA certed ball and it took me quite a while to find the matching card to send to the buyer. If I was a little less diligent, I would have said the hell with it and shipped it off without the card.

Even further, I have found that holograms sometimes come off game used balls because they do not adhere well to a dirty surface.

Anyway, if a Steiner (or Tristar or Schwartz Sports or Mounted Memories) hologram appears intact, I'm not going to let a little glitch* worry me. The hobby has enough issues. The day I have to start worrying about the authenticity of Steiner material, it's means the fat lady is singing.

(*Now if we saw material that was grossly bad with a Steiner hologram, that is not something I would casually disregard. I'd start thinking counterfeiting was a possibility. To my knowledge, this has not yet happened.)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Chuck Tapia

Cardboard Legends I know of is in Van Nuys, CA in the San Fernando Valley? (Live 15 minutes away) If it's the same place I'm thinking of, they deal in authentic merchandise. While I don't frequent the place, I know that Mike is a fair and honest dealer.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 01-27-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Cardboard Legends I know of is in Van Nuys, CA in the San Fernando Valley? (Live 15 minutes away) If it's the same place I'm thinking of, they deal in authentic merchandise. While I don't frequent the place, I know that Mike is a fair and honest dealer.
Yep, that is the shop. By no means am I attempting to say that I question their integrity, Mike has been absolutely helpful since the beginning. That being said, the item came from another source (I believe Steiner themselves), then was shipped to CA for framing, then to me.

I didn't intend to give the impression that I think the auto is fake. The only reason I wanted to make sure the auto was legit is because of the COA mix up.

Cheers,
Dan

Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Dan

No offense and I didn't mean to come off as peevish. I can understand the caution... especially if you are new to the hobby and the cards were switched up.

In my experience, many of the hologramed items on the secondary market have missing COA cards. It just happens because the cards are often not stored with the item. Just last week I sold a JSA certed ball and it took me quite a while to find the matching card to send to the buyer. If I was a little less diligent, I would have said the hell with it and shipped it off without the card.

Even further, I have found that holograms sometimes come off game used balls because they do not adhere well to a dirty surface.

Anyway, if a Steiner (or Tristar or Schwartz Sports or Mounted Memories) hologram appears intact, I'm not going to let a little glitch* worry me. The hobby has enough issues. The day I have to start worrying about the authenticity of Steiner material, it's means the fat lady is singing.

(*Now if we saw material that was grossly bad with a Steiner hologram, that is not something I would casually disregard. I'd start thinking counterfeiting was a possibility. To my knowledge, this has not yet happened.)
Thank you for your guidance. Hopefully, one day, I will have the knowledge to not be concerned about things like this.

Cheers,
Dan