NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2023, 08:28 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default Operationalizing rarity

I'm wondering what number of copies of a card could exist before you would not label it rare. You can of course use ever more fine-grained distinctions and arrive at a reductio ad absurdum in which every baseball card in the world is unique, but if you were only getting as specific as Pose X of Player Y from Set Z -- would it be rare if there were only 1,000 copies of that card? Only 100? Only 10?

If you're inclined to say, well it depends on the set, and 100 total copies isn't rare for a single N172 pose but it is for a T206, fine. What I'm really wondering is what is the absolute smallest number for any card in any set that you think should disqualify it from being properly regarded as rare.

I'm going to say 7. I think if there are 7 or more copies of a card you should generally see one of them come up for sale at least every few years. If there are fewer than 4 copies of the card you can't count on seeing it come up for sale at all in the next decade. The mid-single digits are sort of a collecting sweet spot for maximizing the excitement:frustration ratio. I don't get excited about seeing an auction listing for a card, even one that I really want, if I'm expecting to see another copy pop up a few weeks later; but if it's a card I've been looking for and haven't seen listed in years, the moment I find the auction listing is more exciting than the moment I actually get the card in the mail (assuming I've won the auction, which I usually don't).

Anyway, my answer is 7.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:32 AM

I am going with 50
Old 06-23-2023, 09:38 AM

I'd say 10 or less is truly rare. More than 10 but less than 50 is scarce.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:06 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Does demand factor into the calculus at all? If no one wants an item, having 5 of them in the wild doesn't really feel like it's rare. Whereas if there are 50 but everyone wants one, it can sure seem rare.

And what about deliberate manufactured rarity? Some of these numbered modern pieces may be 1 of 5, but I'm not convinced that really makes it rare, particularly if there are hundreds or thousands of similar pieces that are 1 of 5.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 06-23-2023 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:08 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Does demand factor into the calculus at all?

And what about deliberate manufactured rarity? Some of these numbered modern pieces may be 1 of 5, but I'm not convinced that really makes it rare, particularly if there are hundreds or thousands of similar pieces that are 1 of 5.
No. I'm just looking for the lowest number that's rare in an absolute sense, regardless of how many people want it or how many were produced in the first place.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:19 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I would say single digit of a specific card. To me variations are a different card.
So 9 or less is rare
5 or less is extremely rare

But hopefully if it is rare it belongs to a member of this board except for Ruth or Jackson those need to be mine. Lol

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph

Last edited by mrreality68; 06-23-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:32 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I'd say 10 or less is truly rare. More than 10 but less than 50 is scarce.
+1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-23-2023, 10:50 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK View Post
I am going with 50
This is about what I would call it, somewhere between 25-50. I am surprised the answers so far are largely 10 and below; considering what I see routinely referred to as rare around here.

Valuable is separate from rare; rare only measures supply.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I wrote an article about rarity (creatively entitled "Rare..."). My definition of absolute rarity was few of the item in existence, hard to find in any condition at any time.

Absolute rarity is wonderful and complicated all at the same time. On the one hand, when you have a truly rare item, you have something truly special. Of course, the flip side is that the card is going to be a real bitch to replace, if you can replace it at all, should you sell or trade it away.

I am not sure I can pick a hard cut-off for absolute rarity, though. I mean if there are 21 examples of a card instead of 20, is it no longer rare? That seems to be an absurdly reductionist way of looking at it.

I guess for me the bottom line is that rarity is like obscenity: i can't tell you precisely what it is but I know it when I see it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-23-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:31 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I think it is more than the absolute number that exist; it is the absolute number that are circulating. If there are 20 copies of a card that exist but 15 of those are in public collections like the HOF, Burdick Collection, Wharton Tigre Collection, various library collections, etc then the card is rare. If all 20 copies are floating around then it is just scarce.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

The most important card in the hobby, the 52 Mantle, is neither scarce nor rare.

Never understood that.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-23-2023 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:38 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I think it is more than the absolute number that exist; it is the absolute number that are circulating. If there are 20 copies of a card that exist but 15 of those are in public collections like the HOF, Burdick Collection, Wharton Tigre Collection, various library collections, etc then the card is rare. If all 20 copies are floating around then it is just scarce.
If that's true, then it follows that if I were to acquire and hold every copy of the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. it would become correct for one to call it a rare card. I think rare is just rare, whether all extant copies are currently up for auction on eBay or no copies have been offered for 100 years.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It depends on what we are talking about. If it's a type card to start with, then maybe 5 or less is rare, to me.
If it is from a mainstream set, that number can jump greatly. Then, there are other aspects of rarity, such as condition rarity. I hear there are more, vintage high grade cards being made every day....Tip- buy cards with bigger borders.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It depends on what we are talking about. If it's a type card to start with, then maybe 5 or less is rare, to me.
... Then, there are other aspects of rarity, such as condition rarity. ...
One of my favorite sets is a post-war regional / food issue, the 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks. Only 9 comprise the set, but it's a condition nightmare. Case in point: Mickey Mantle. The current PSA pop report is:

AUTHENTIC--2

PSA 1 / 1.5 -- 50

PSA 2 -- 8

PSA 3 -- 1

PSA 4 -- 2

PSA 5 -- 0

PSA 6 -- 2

PSA 7 -- 1

PSA 8 -- 0

PSA 9 -- 1

PSA 10 -- 0

A fascinating breakdown. You can pound the table all you wish about absolute rarity, and count the Authentics and PSA 1s. Be that as it may, since most of them were issued within the package of frankfurters (having marinated in the not so nice greasy / watery hot dog juice and goo) as a package stiffener, the resultant "free prize" was a less than tantalizing PSA 1 - 2 right from the start. Long to short, when it comes to Stahl-Meyer Franks, CONDITION RARITY CARRIES AN IMMENSE AMOUNT OF WEIGHT (I.E. SPECIAL SIGNIFICANCE).

Food for thought. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-24-2023 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:19 PM

Aren't there more than 10 Baltimore Ruths? I think whatever the number is, that card has to be considered rare. You never see it for sale.
Old 06-23-2023, 04:44 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Paul—I believe the number is nine or ten
Old 06-23-2023, 06:55 PM
John Wagner

Quick question on this.....

You have a rare card that is PSA and you prefer it in a SGC slab. When you crack it out and resubmit it for grading to SGC, what happens? Does SGC notify PSA to take it out of the registry? Or does it artificially increase the pop of the card by +1?
Old 06-23-2023, 10:01 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerj03 View Post
Quick question on this.....

You have a rare card that is PSA and you prefer it in a SGC slab. When you crack it out and resubmit it for grading to SGC, what happens? Does SGC notify PSA to take it out of the registry? Or does it artificially increase the pop of the card by +1?
I'm guessing that both PSA and SGC have each other on their respective 'Blocked Callers List.'
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-24-2023, 09:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

John, my understanding is that the only way to get the pop and cert tables adjusted is to send the company the cracked-out label with a request to remove it. Makes sense to me; can you imagine the lunacy that would ensue if you could get a card taken out of a pop or cert report just for asking?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-24-2023, 09:49 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

If I can’t afford a card, it is rare. At least in my collection.
...whatever I want
Old 06-24-2023, 12:08 PM

Default Asking nicely :

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmondobueno View Post
If I can’t afford a card, it is rare. At least in my collection.

.. Are you by any chance looking to adopt anyone ? Perhaps an older person ? It happens,

Old 06-24-2023, 07:37 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Mike,

I AM an old person. 🤙
...whatever I want
Old 06-24-2023, 08:54 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Does demand factor into the calculus at all? If no one wants an item, having 5 of them in the wild doesn't really feel like it's rare. Whereas if there are 50 but everyone wants one, it can sure seem rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
No. I'm just looking for the lowest number that's rare in an absolute sense, regardless of how many people want it or how many were produced in the first place.
I agree with Raulus. Rare for Barry Larkin (my main PC) is certainly less than rare for Griffey (occasional PC). Griffey might have a card #'d /100 that is more difficult to acquire than a card #'d /50 or even /25 of Larkin. So I agree that the number of people seeking a card should play some role in the mathematical formula of rare.

For the sake of your actual question, I would say for cards pre-1995 that the number is higher than 10. Maybe 25; maybe 50. This is because once you fall below 10, certainly below 5, you're almost talking about one of a kind. Rare to me doesn't mean one of a kind.

I think once we move into the late 1990s, manufactured rarity would reduce the total number. I'm not impressed seeing the same photo over and over again in different colors. I don't collect the rainbow as many modern collectors do. I would say 5 or 10 from 1995-present would be rare. Maybe even 1/1. Think of how many super refractors exist for each player. If a player like Acuna has a 20 year career, how many 1/1 cards will he eventually have? 200? 300? More?

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 06-24-2023, 09:19 PM

Seems to me that rarity is based on how many opportunities there are to acquire the card. With many sets, especially somewhat recent regionals, the star players are less rare than the commons, because people pull them out and offer them for sale. They don't bother to do that for the other cards, making those cards, IMO, truly rare.
Old 06-25-2023, 04:14 AM

My general understanding is that rarity is an absolute or supply term and scarcity is a relative or demand term. An item is not scarce if nobody wants it even if it is very rare

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 06-25-2023, 07:50 AM

Default Rarely offered Vs just rare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo Hungo View Post
Seems to me that rarity is based on how many opportunities there are to acquire the card. With many sets, especially somewhat recent regionals, the star players are less rare than the commons, because people pull them out and offer them for sale. They don't bother to do that for the other cards, making those cards, IMO, truly rare.
This is how I come at the issue of rarity as well. Over the years I have put my eyeballs on millions of items, and for my own collection I think of rarity in term of how often I have seen it come up for sale. Is the item available at any price once a week, month, year, 5yrs, 10yrs etc. An item that I can purchase only annually, on average, is still not rare to me, whereas something that comes up for sale once every 5 or 10 yrs is truly rare in my book. You only get that feel for opportunity by tracking availability over many years though.

Last edited by JLange; 06-25-2023 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:10 AM
+0m J()rd@N

For many years, the benchmark for "rare" was any unsigned Bob Feller item.

But if you are looking for a number, I'd put it somewhere between 25 and 50 for pre-war and vintage cards.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 06-25-2023 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:29 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Rarity has nothing to do with demand. It is strictly a matter of numbers. Scarcity is a matter of supply and demand. There can be cards that are rare but not scarce (little to no demand). There are cards that are plentiful yet scarce (Demand far exceeds supply). Market value is a fair representation of scarcity.

The 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle is a card that is not rare but is scarce, as reflected in its high market value. A baseball card smeared in my dog's shit is a card that is rare but not scarce, reflected in that no one would want it or pay even a penny for it.

There is no objective numerical answer for what is rare.

Wrongly conflating scarity and rarity has been done a thousand times on this board. We have had threads like this with this wrong conflation tens of times. I've given this explanation of the difference between scarcity and rarity every time. Do some board members never read, or do they simply have mush for brains? Undoubtedly, I will have to cut and paste this post in the future, likely multiple times.

To repeat: Rarity and scarcity are not one and the same, and not to be conflated.

Last edited by drcy; 06-25-2023 at 04:32 PM.