NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2020, 03:59 PM

Default Zeenut checklists

I've been running a search on the Zeenuts and looking for checklists for each year with the various variations. Seen a bit of good information here and there but no site listing a checkilist for each year. I'll keep looking but did I miss the obvious somewhere ??
thanks
Dan
Old 09-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Mark Macrae

The Standard Catalog list is a good starting point (You can buy an outdated version for about $10 plus shipping), as is the 1977 Jim Horne booklet, however none of the published checklists are complete, primarily with regards to variations. When you start approaching 3500 different Zeenuts, the advanced collectors will step in and help you
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks1912 View Post
The Standard Catalog list is a good starting point (You can buy an outdated version for about $10 plus shipping), as is the 1977 Jim Horne booklet, however none of the published checklists are complete, primarily with regards to variations. When you start approaching 3500 different Zeenuts, the advanced collectors will step in and help you
I would be curious how many collectors approach 3500 Zeenut cards. My guess is a few fingers or so...but I might not know of the old collectors out there whom are behind the scenes.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I would be curious how many collectors approach 3500 Zeenut cards. My guess is a few fingers or so...but I might not know of the old collectors out there whom are behind the scenes.
I've been working on gathering as many scans of Zeenuts with coupons to help establish years, especially from 1932 through 1937.

A couple of questions:

The 1933 sepia are often catalogued a a separate set from the 1933-36 listings. Like several from the 1933-36 catalogued set, these all have coupon expiration dates of April 1st 1934. I think the April 1st 1934's were are issued at the same time (thus actually the same set). What do you think?

One Zeenut set is catalogued as 1937-38, but all I've seen have coupon expiration dates of Oct 30th 1937. Has anyone seen a later expiration date? Where did the 1938 date come from?

I am especially interested in scans of Zeenuts with coupon expiration dates of April 1st 1935, April 1st 1936 and Oct 1st 1936. Would appreciate more. Thanks, Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 09-28-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:33 PM
Marc S.

Michael-

The 1938s had a coupon that was not attached to the card - hence you will not find a tabbed example of such. The coupon, IIRC, was inserted alongside the card in the confection
Old 09-28-2020, 04:36 PM
Marc S.

I reckon that there are probably fewer than ten folks that have the vast majority of tabbed Zeenuts from the 1933-1936 timeframe. I further imagine that at least one or two of them has a fairly robust checklist based upon year of issue. But most of those folks are the series "completists" who are working on the 3,500+ series and for them the delineation is not as important. The variations in the 1933-1936 series are generally widely known (and indicated in the Horne book), and it's mostly from there a question of finding tabbed examples where they exist to get the specific year.

As far as I know, not all of the variations from the 1933-1936 timeframe are known to exist with a tab. Obviously some of the more notable ones are, like Joe D
Old 09-29-2020, 01:19 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Michael-

The 1938s had a coupon that was not attached to the card - hence you will not find a tabbed example of such. The coupon, IIRC, was inserted alongside the card in the confection
If this is the coupon you are referring to, then it is a help. Once the 1933 through 1937 cards are identified by date on a coupon, the distinction of the 1938 cards wil become apparent.

Mike
Old 09-29-2020, 01:13 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Mark,

I'm surprised you have never put together a collection of images of the 1930's Zeenut cards so that the confusion between the similarity of issues can be resolved. That's been sorely missing for over forty years. I expect to have a complete break down of those issues, year by year within the next few months, showing what pictures go with what dates. Can you tell me where the 1938 year came from for those cards catalogued as 1937-38 Zeenuts?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:54 PM
Michael Fried

Default Mark McCrea - Help Us Out!

Quote:
Mark Macrae,

With your experience with Zeenut cards, you should be capable of posting scans of some with coupons from 1933-37 not on our list. Help us out, kindly post at least one.

Thank you,

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 10-14-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:45 AM
Marc S.

Default Mike, here's another one

not on your current list.

Hal played in the PCL after his time in MLB. He even made it to the World Series! Unfortunately, it was with the Pirates in 1927, making him a playing spectator against perhaps the strongest team to ever play together.

Hal was an exceptionally popular player for the Seals, and sold out to capacity crowds, for example, at Hal Rhyne Day at Recreation Park.

Delighted to share this one here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1934HalRhyne.jpg (39.8 KB, 367 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 02:33 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
not on your current list.

Hal played in the PCL after his time in MLB. He even made it to the World Series! Unfortunately, it was with the Pirates in 1927, making him a playing spectator against perhaps the strongest team to ever play together.

Hal was an exceptionally popular player for the Seals, and sold out to capacity crowds, for example, at Hal Rhyne Day at Recreation Park.

Delighted to share this one here
Hal Rhyne was a Seals favorite. He played with them before and immediately after the Pirates, then to the American League for five years.

Your card is of the first year (1934) of his return to San Francisco, where he continued to play for the Seals through the first part of 1938.

The "Horne" book does not list the "offer expires" date for Rhyne of April 1st 1935 shown in your picture. I have the same picture without coupon (Rhyne facing front while batting) that is slightly more cropped. I have to figure out where to place it. The "Horne" book list one with "Offer expires April 1st, 1936" but says "side view- foot high," and for "Oct. 1st, 1936 as "side view - foot low." No scan of the "April 1st, 1936," but we have a scan of the "Offer expires Oct. 1st 1936" card.

That's not the end of Rhyne as Krause says Rhyne has a 1937-38 card. It is possible he actual has two more cards from that latter timeframe: one with a coupon with an "Offer expires Oct. 30th 1937" and another without a coupon (a 1938). Those two should be with a square name box (not one with cutoff corners of 1934-36).

Hey, we're getting a long way to identifying these cards.

Anyone with a card with a coupon (or a 1938 card) not listed above in Post #39, add it to our project and we may be able to get this thing done so you can ultimately see a picture guide to all of the different variations.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 10-16-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:41 PM
Larry Moe

Will send a few scans of my coupon cards after I free than from the bank, hey Rhett send me an e mail
Old 11-03-2020, 11:14 PM
Mike Mattsey

Found this from the SF Examiner from 1911. A bank encouraging young boys to save their nickles rather than buying Zeenuts for the cards!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2020, 12:40 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsey9 View Post
Found this from the SF Examiner from 1911. A bank encouraging young boys to save their nickles rather than buying Zeenuts for the cards!
Just a thought: If a Zeenut with a card cost a nickel when first introduced in 1911, and if the bank paid 3% interest per year, that nickel would double in a bank account in about 17 years. By 1928 the nickel would be worth 10¢, by 1945 20¢, by 1962 40¢, by 1979 80¢, by 1996 $1.60 and by 2013 $3.20 . . . so let say today it has almost increased to $5.00. Would you be willing to pay $5.00 for a Zeenut candy treat with a card? What's a 1911 Zeenut card worth today?

Thanks for the interesting twist on buying a Zeenut or not.

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 11-04-2020 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsey9 View Post

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
That's cool....
Old 11-03-2020, 11:27 PM
Larry Moe

finally found one of mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_0039.jpg (68.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 11-04-2020, 12:57 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by qed2190 View Post
finally found one of mine
Picture of the Gibson (Seals) Zeenut cards.

1934 Issue (offer expires April 1st 1935). This is a slight more cropped picture than the next year, with his front foot and name box slightly closer to the bottom.

1935 Issue (offer expires April 1st, 1936), with a bit more gap between the bottom of the picture and his front foot and name box.

1936 Issue (offer expires Oct. 1st 1936), your card with different picture than other years.

1937 Issue (offer expires Oct. 30th 1937), another different picture .

Thanks for posting your card.

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 11-06-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:56 PM
octavio ranzola

Default Thx leon

I bought two from leon with coupons a while back will never part with them ..i like them ,,
Old 04-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Marc S.

Mike-

The idea is good. The implementation is harder.

Were I to take a guess, I'd say that there are approximately 4,000 tabbed Zeenuts "out there" in the hobby universe. Some might have different approximations of the numbers, but I think that's as good a guess as any, based on the little I know.

Now, I think that this falls under the classic 80/20 rule. I strongly believe that there are four or five collectors out there that each have 500+ tabbed Zeenuts in their respective collections.

For your idea to work, I think you'd need to get at least two of those collectors on board with your idea. I'm not sure there's many people who could even put names to those folks with tabbed Zeenuts. And a few of the folks I know who like Zeenuts are not necessarily super excited at the idea of sharing scans/pictures online.

I hope you can get it to work, nonetheless! I'd love to see something like that
Old 04-05-2021, 08:13 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Mike-

The idea is good. The implementation is harder.

Were I to take a guess, I'd say that there are approximately 4,000 tabbed Zeenuts "out there" in the hobby universe. Some might have different approximations of the numbers, but I think that's as good a guess as any, based on the little I know.

Now, I think that this falls under the classic 80/20 rule. I strongly believe that there are four or five collectors out there that each have 500+ tabbed Zeenuts in their respective collections.

For your idea to work, I think you'd need to get at least two of those collectors on board with your idea. I'm not sure there's many people who could even put names to those folks with tabbed Zeenuts. And a few of the folks I know who like Zeenuts are not necessarily super excited at the idea of sharing scans/pictures online.

I hope you can get it to work, nonetheless! I'd love to see something like that

You've hit the nail on the head. I hope we don't have to wait for these collectors to pass away like Dick Dobbins before we access for scans. They should realize that showing their cards will increase the value. Others can actually see what exists and can plan for a cash or tax value on them when they become available through sale or donation. That would actually put a higher value per card than a bulk disposal.

Merely confirming the existence of a card does not provide full attribution that a picture of it can. A lot of the old collectors think they did a great job identifying them last century. They did the best they could back then. But like many cards and collectibles, the identification processes they started have not caught up with modern times. I seen many a picture postcard lot that was highly prized fifty years ago get disposed by relatives for very little because insufficient information about them, particularly photographs or scans, were not available.

If these old timers don't want to do the work, there are plenty of use, including me, who would be happy to take the pictures or make the scans for them.

Mike