NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2021, 09:05 AM

Default Advice for Shipping High Value Card

Hey All,

So I find myself in a rather unprecedented situation. I've sold plenty of cards in the past, but they all were under $5000, and the shipping logistics fairly straightforward and without concern.

Well, I've decided to sell my '52 Mays PSA 6, and based on past sales, I think there's a good chance it will sell for more than $25K. I have absolutely no experience with a sale of this size. Honestly, I'm a little freaked just by the idea of taking it in and having to declare a value!

I'm wondering if any of you have advice for me as far as the most secure shipping methods? Do any of the big 3 shippers offer a service especially for very high dollar items? The closest I can think of is USPS registered mail, but USPS is pretty dodgy these days, so I'm wondering if Fedex or UPS offer similar or better?

Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks all!
Old 04-02-2021, 09:08 AM
Ben North

USPS registered mail. Just be prepared because sometimes it takes a very long time to get there.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:09 AM
Robert Williams

FedEx and UPS don't value collectibles that high. It is in their fine print. For that reason, I would NOT use them. Sure, they would SELL you the insurance. But try to collect if something goes South.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
USPS registered mail. Just be prepared because sometimes it takes a very long time to get there.
Yeah I think this may be the route I have to go. It looks like they insure for up to $50,000, if I'm not mistaken? My card won't exceed that, I know that much, but I have no idea what it might actually sell for. It's insurance that I suppose is the greatest concern.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:35 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

As Ben said, be prepared, and make sure the buyer knows, that it will take a while....possibly a couple weeks or longer. Registered mail has an insane chain of custody log so it’s as safe as anything, but the wait can be tortuous.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:42 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Insure your cards prior to shipment (if you haven’t already) and then ship either registered USPS or Fedex express. Shipping companies only insure to a specific amount, but your personal policy picks up the delta. Regarding registered mail, as others have mentioned, it’s painfully slow. Just shipped something registered last week. The shipment was from west coast FL to east coast FL, took 4 days.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:45 AM
Garth Guibord

There's another thread about insurance on a collection, which may cover items in transit. If you have insurance, that might take care of things. If you don't, perhaps reaching out to see your options, such as even a policy to just cover this one item in transit, may be worthwhile.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:45 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks14sr View Post
Insure your cards prior to shipment (if you haven’t already) and then ship either registered USPS or Fedex express. Shipping companies only insure to a specific amount, but your personal policy picks up the delta. Regarding registered mail, as others have mentioned, it’s painfully slow. Just shipped something registered last week. The shipment was from west coast FL to east coast FL, took 4 days.
FedEx doesn't insure collectibles. Please don't pass along bad info.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:09 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Registered is the ONLY way to go. Deal with the "extra" time to get there, but sleep well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
ABSOLUTLEY - DO NOT USE FEDEX!!!! THEY WILL ONLY PAY OUT UP TO $1K FOR COLLECTIBLES.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.

Last edited by hcv123; 04-02-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:15 AM
Ben North

Quote:
He was not passing bad info. He clearly stated your personal insurance would cover the rest. That is if you have collectors insurance, he also stated to get it first if you don't already have it.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the great advice all! I'm going to go with Registered mail and get insurance. Plus I've already contacted my insurance agent and I'm arranging to get the card insured through transit, so I'll be doubly covered. It wound up being very straightforward to set up, thanks to all your helpful words. I can rest easy now.

Much appreciated. Have a terrific weekend everyone!
Old 04-02-2021, 11:33 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Read my post again. Insure privately. My insurance company, Collectibles Insurance, recommends both USPS specific services (registered and express) and Fedex specific services. I don’t care what a shipping companies insurance limits are, as I insure myself, and the private policy pays the difference. So, stop spreading ignorant info yourself.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:42 AM
Fred

Interesting topic - so... how much does it cost to insure a $25K card for shipment (please include the insurance cost of the carrier and private insurance premiums)? Lets stick with a private collector selling on ebay. What about a $100K and $1M card?

Things have gone rather crazy lately. An assumption is that some of these auction houses self-insure to reduce the cost. Is that a good assumption?
Old 04-02-2021, 12:04 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Right, was sending some high $ Items to an auction house, FedEx no insurance.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-02-2021, 12:30 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Drive There Fly There Take A Train anything but shipping it!!!

I had all three major US Carriers do one or more of the following over the past two years losing a package, damage to item, and or stolen.

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-02-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Drive There Fly There Take A Train anything but shipping it!!!

I had all three major US Carriers do one or more of the following over the past two years losing a package, damage to item, and or stolen.
Depending on shipping price it could be worth it. Heck it could even be a nice small vacation.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:50 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Interesting topic - so... how much does it cost to insure a $25K card for shipment (please include the insurance cost of the carrier and private insurance premiums)? Lets stick with a private collector selling on ebay. What about a $100K and $1M card?

Things have gone rather crazy lately. An assumption is that some of these auction houses self-insure to reduce the cost. Is that a good assumption?
If I recall correctly, it is about 1% of the declared value.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:36 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I’ll add my two cents here. I’ve shipped a number of packages over 10k, and I personally believe in speed. That is, I’d go for overnight or even two day shipping rather than registered. You’ll know in 1-2 days whether your package arrived safely rather than to constantly check tracking. Of course make sure your item is very well packaged so even if it were ran over by a car, the card would still be safe and sound. And use a pre-printed shipping label rather than handwriting one so there’s no chance the shipper can’t read your handwriting. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2021, 06:00 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I’ll add my two cents here. I’ve shipped a number of packages over 10k, and I personally believe in speed. That is, I’d go for overnight or even two day shipping rather than registered. You’ll know in 1-2 days whether your package arrived safely rather than to constantly check tracking. Of course make sure your item is very well packaged so even if it were ran over by a car, the card would still be safe and sound. And use a pre-printed shipping label rather than handwriting one so there’s no chance the shipper can’t read your handwriting. Good luck!
IMO, the less time a carrier has your item, the less chance for them to lose or damage it, Overnight with private insurance is the way to go.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I sent a package to a fellow member using 2 day last week, it still isn't there.
They all seems to be hit and miss.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Everything has a risk

I sent a very expensive card to an AH this year by fed ex. Next morning delivery. Held my breathe. Set up tracking.

AH had in hand by 11 next day

I agree with what someone said above. The less time in transit the better. The idea of 37 USPS employees laying their hands on my package and passing it around like a hot potato for 3 weeks scares the jejeezus out of me. And then one guy is on vacation and it sits for 3 days. Nope. Get it over with quickly. Like ripping off a band aid.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-02-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:54 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

USPS Express and a third party insurance plan.

If you don’t have that plan, buy a plane ticket and exchange in the airport bar.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:24 AM
Troy Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

I do registered for anything over $5k. For pricing reference, I sent a package that way about 3 weeks ago for $16k in declared (insured) value and it was around $55 to ship. Sure it took about 5-6 days longer than a normal package but I wasn’t worried about it being lost. I make sure the other party knows I’m shipping that way and to be prepared for the few extra days.