NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2001, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Default Hey, why didn't anybody ever tell me that old judges come in different sizes?

Posted By: Jay Miller

First, Mark is right. Old Judge come in various sizes. 1887 cards can be small or jumbo. 1888 cards tend to be small and 1889 cards tend to be normal or jumbo. Notice I use the word TEND. There ain't no absolutes. The best advice I could give you is to forget PSA (or SGC,etc.). They do not know pre-1900 cards and their grading reflects it. I have a scan of a PSA graded 1887 card from ebay where the whole bottom was trimmed off the card and I believe it got a 6 or a 7. Don't let the dealers hype you into the graded card mania. Get cards with nice photos and forget whether they are 3s or 9s. Terry Knouse knows his cards so if he sold it to you as good it probably is. If you have any doubts send it to Mark and let him take a look. If you want me to look at a scan send it to me at curl777@aol.com.

Old 09-28-2001, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default Hey, why didn't anybody ever tell me that old judges come in different sizes?

Posted By: Vognar Julie

I've been in mourning ever since Lipset's April auction, because I bid stupidly and got stuck with 2 Cracker Jacks and no 19th century cards. Halley, your Old Judge Pud Galvin looks very familiar...

So I called Terry Knause, headed for the last show in Philadelphia, and he provided me with a nice Scrapps Brouthers and a great Old Judge O'Rourke. O.K, so an O'Rourke isn't a Hamilton, but I don't have $4000+ dollars ANYWAY.
BUT, to get to the point: my O'Rourke, perfectly proportioned, is 1/4 inch shorter than 3 of my other Old Judges, and the same size as one of the others. So I called Mark Macrae, my mentor, to ask if I'd been robbed, and he said he had Old Judges that were practically square, and that 1/4 inch difference in
size was perfectly normal for Old Judges. How does PSA grade the things? "Trimmed"?

Old 09-29-2001, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Angyal

I have an Old Judge (N172) Sliding Billy Hamilton card that I think is in solid Ex to Ex+ condition that I am considering selling on my web site or placing on e-bay. Anyone interested? E-mail me at:

angyale@att.net

Eric

Old 09-29-2001, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I'll send the scan of the old Judge O'Rourke later this evening to your e-mail address; I don't know how to insert a scan in a post. Not that I'm worried, and I NEVER buy graded cards anymore--the N162 Brouthers was an abberation (Wayne Varner, Shoebox Cards, had it for sale at a reasonable price). All graded cards I've ever bought I've immediately freed with the aid of a sharp steak knife.

O'Rourke is sorta cute, even if I think all 19th centrury players with walrus mustashes look like British majors stationed in India in the mid 1800s.

Julie

Old 09-29-2001, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I'll look forward to seeing the scan. The O'Rourke poses in the Old Judge set are nice, unlike some of the other HOFers(Beckley has horrible poses, for example).If you like his moustache make sure you try to see his Kalamazoo Bats card (it may have been pictured in the Copeland catalog). The K-Bat card has an up close view of that beauty.

Old 10-02-2001, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Vognar Julie

I said it.