NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default Boston Show Update

Posted By: Phil Garry

Anybody make any nice vintage pick-ups at the show? I was there on Saturday and Sunday but found very slim pickings. There was one dealer that had a nice assortment of 1920's HOF'er Exhibits but they were almost all trimmed with rounder corners (what a shame). Otherwise, I submitted a uique piece to SGC for grading and Michael Goldberg was very helpful in determining that they should be able to grade the item. PSA was also at the show accepting submissions but both GAI and Beckett were no shows once again.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I went on Friday...Nothing for my vintage collection other than a 1952 Joe Astroth Bowman.

Highlights of the show...talking to Terry Knouse...viewing his 19th century N321 SF Hess card of a catcher.

There also was a beautiful Joe Jackson Boston Garter, and a mid-grade E90-2 Wagner that were being displayed for an upcoming auction with, I believe,
Mile High.

Unfortunately, more new stuff shows up each year.

I didn't see a single T212, Zeenut or any PCL items.

Patrick

Old 11-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Was it crowded ? Was it a lot of the "shiny stuff" ? Were the grading companies represented ? How about the auction houses ? How does the show compare to the Ft. Washington (Reading) show ? Thanks.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott S

The show was as crowded as I've seen it there in many years. I was there on Saturday, which was coupled with a downpour outside and several Red Sox players (including Papelbon) signing autographs, so it brought TONS of people in to the show. Unfortunately it seemed like there were more tables set up to sell T-shirts and hats, and less of the quality vintage I've come to find at the Shriners show. (I actually felt bad for Duke Snider, sitting at the autograph table by himself, as crowds swarmed Bobby Kielty and Clay Buchholz.) I've made some great pickups at this show in the past, but no such luck this past weekend.

PSA and SGC were on-hand (no grading onsite by SGC, just PSA), and Jim Spence was there for autograph authentication.

No big pickups for me, as the few things I saw were all way overpriced. There was a good deal more of the "shiny" stuff there than I've seen in the past; hopefully this is not the trend, as this has always been one of my favorite shows.

I did drop off some cards at SGC, and will echo the comment about Michael Goldberg being very helpful regarding a couple of oddball issues I had to submit.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: H Murphy

Went to the show on Sunday. Got there about an hour after the doors opened and there was a decent crowd. Noticed more new stuff and as stated, Red Sox 2008 shirts hats etc etc. as expected after the W Series win. Was hoping to find or at least see some nice pre war material but less than last year and what was there was fairly ordinary. Hate to say it but probabley a better quality and quantity of pre war items could be found in the Network 54 monthly pickup threads. Makes me want to follow our B/S/T board even closer.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

There was a good amount of vintage dealers, but seems to be getting less every year which is being filled by new items and cards. I had a good time, still could have done better - long Autograph lines did not help dealers on Sat.

Take care

Jimmy

Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

I'm bumming I missed the show, especially on the heels of the World Series. Unfortunately, my wife ran into a medical emergency and we just spent four days in the hospital. Hope you guys had a good time. I always enjoyed the show.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

I was at the show on Friday and Saturday. Bought some nice Cabinet Cards from Terry K, a few Turkey Reds from Paul Stark, and had fun talking turkey with shoebox cards. There were some nice deals on Friday. I thought it was a good show!