NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default What piece do you regret selling/trading?

What piece did you sell/trade either recently or years ago that you wish you now had? What were the circumstances then? Did you have to sell to raise some quick cash? Did you trade for something you thought was better at the time?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Mike H.

14 years ago I was attending a large outdoor antique show. In a barrel of old hand tools, axe handles etc. I pulled out a Hannah Batrite Foxx model with the flying bat logo. The handle was shattered, but for $3.00 I was a buyer. I sent it to Fred Lowman to restore and it came back in beautiful shape. One of the best jobs I've seen. That was $125.00 or so. I posted it somewhere, and got an offer for $1,500 for it (yes...I fully disclosed the restoration) and took it. I didn't "need" the money, but made several terrific purchases with the funds. That being said, I wish I still had that bat.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Kevin

Default 1860s Excised Ring Bat with Original Red Paint

I found an approximately 1860s excised ring bat (the rings were actually cut raised) in its original red paint in a Maine barn in 2004. The 36" bat had been left barrel side down in a corner for many years, so it had some condition problems caused by standing water at its tip. It was still one of the most unique and oldest items I've ever owned, and I cherished it for about five years when financial circumstances forced me to let it go. I had paid about twenty dollars for the bat, and I believe I received close to $1650 when I sold it--condition problems and all. Circumstances improved drastically almost immediately after I sold the bat, but the buyer would not reconsider, even with a $700 bump for less than two weeks of ownership. I can't blame him, though. I've owned lots of memorabilia worth a whole lot more, but nothing was so wonderful as swinging that rotten old bat in my basement. I haven't sold a 19th century ring bat since (and I'm always looking for more!)
Old 11-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Kevin O'Gara

6 snap shots of 1919 world series game 1 ,from outfield bleachers given to me for free from a dealer who found them in a book. sold to dave bushing for 150.00 apiece.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

1909 Pirates color supplement owned by Honus Wagner. It hung in his Forbes Field office, then hung in my living room where it should still be
Old 11-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

These all sound like really great pieces of memorabilia!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
1909 Pirates color supplement owned by Honus Wagner. It hung in his Forbes Field office, then hung in my living room where it should still be
I still have my M-113 from the HW Estate
Old 11-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Default photos please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnoco View Post
I found an approximately 1860s excised ring bat (the rings were actually cut raised) in its original red paint in a Maine barn in 2004. The 36" bat had been left barrel side down in a corner for many years, so it had some condition problems caused by standing water at its tip. It was still one of the most unique and oldest items I've ever owned, and I cherished it for about five years when financial circumstances forced me to let it go. I had paid about twenty dollars for the bat, and I believe I received close to $1650 when I sold it--condition problems and all. Circumstances improved drastically almost immediately after I sold the bat, but the buyer would not reconsider, even with a $700 bump for less than two weeks of ownership. I can't blame him, though. I've owned lots of memorabilia worth a whole lot more, but nothing was so wonderful as swinging that rotten old bat in my basement. I haven't sold a 19th century ring bat since (and I'm always looking for more!)

Now ya gotta post some photos of it after all that!!!!....sounds great!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:46 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

2 George Burke 8x10 photos of Al Schacht & Nick Altrock doing their clown routine on the field and a head shot of Schacht looking like the scariest hobo I ever laid eyes on. Both went uneventfully (in the $35 each range) as I was cranking through a large collection of Burke photos, and I would gladly pay more than that to have them back again as I have developed a real fondness for the original Clown Prince of Baseball. I've still got decent scans of each, but that doesn't compare to having the real thing in hand...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0414.jpg (64.7 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg 1199.jpg (65.6 KB, 298 views)
Old 11-27-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
2 George Burke 8x10 photos of Al Schacht & Nick Altrock doing their clown routine on the field and a head shot of Schacht looking like the scariest hobo I ever laid eyes on. Both went uneventfully (in the $35 each range) as I was cranking through a large collection of Burke photos, and I would gladly pay more than that to have them back again as I have developed a real fondness for the original Clown Prince of Baseball. I've still got decent scans of each, but that doesn't compare to having the real thing in hand...
Lance,
Those photos are AWESOME!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Lance,
Those photos are AWESOME!
Scott,
Salt in the wounds, man

The Altrock/Schacht was used for an R312 and an R313 premium, and the Shacht solo was used for I think a Goudey Wide Pen premium, but the smaller size of those do not do the photos justice. I have few real regrets in the "catch and release" way I deal with most collectibles, but giving those up is top of the list for now. *sigh*
Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Nick Edson

Default Rose Co. Postcards

Probably a batch of 52 Rose Co. Postcards (51 different) from a few years back. They are beautiful.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:49 PM
qualitycards

Sold this Yankee stadium seat to a friend (who also is a member here) 3 years ago.
Even though its in good hands, I regret the sale, sometimes bills trump cards/collectibles.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

I had a deal with an acquaintance to buy a Rollie fingers As jersey. I'd given him about 20% down, and had the jersey in hand. Then a show came up and he wanted it back so he could get it signed saying Fingers was his favorite.

Gave the jersey back, got the deposit back. He got it signed and sold it about 10 minutes later for a lot more than our deal had been for.

That's one of the few times something like that bothered me, probably because I'd comitted to buying it and backed out as a favor. On the other hand, he would bet me on our pool games and minigolf with the loser buying all the nights beer and always lost(remarkable, as I'm a terrible pool player and only average at minigolf) so It probably worked out somehow.

Steve B
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
I still have my M-113 from the HW Estate
Good to hear - glad someone has more sense than me. I also sort of regret breaking up a nice set of Burke Yankees photos, at least one of which is now in a board member's collection. There were two great Dimaggios, a fabulous Ruth, the best Dickey photo I've ever seen, and several others. But no Gehrig.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Roy Zalameda

Default Sell / Trades That I Regreted

Back in 1986 or 1987, I sold Rick Salvino a 1952 Topps Willie Mays for $600 and threw in a 1969 Mantle. Slavino said the Mays was mint. I saw his ad in
SCD with buy prices that look real good at the time.

Forgive me for bring up another regret (non baseball related). I sold an unopened box of 1986 Fleer Basketball for $40 ( and paid the shipping ).
Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Jimmy

Default What piece do you regret selling/trading?

1870s Gem tintype, at least I still have a picture, which is now on my contacts page on my website.

Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 148_tintype.jpg (5.0 KB, 73 views)