NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2019, 09:35 AM
M.ichael Yaz.back

I respect your opinion, but SGC is still my choice as an average collector. They are human and of course mistakes are going to be made. But I find SGC is consistently more accurate with their grading and, by far, make less mistakes than the competition. You see that now with the PSA mess. Trimmed cards in PSA holders EVERYWHERE. SGC, very wisely, has gotten out of the autograph business. That industry is a cess pool and it least they recognize that and their strengths in grading cardboard only.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:16 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVinnie View Post
I respect your opinion, but SGC is still my choice as an average collector. They are human and of course mistakes are going to be made. But I find SGC is consistently more accurate with their grading and, by far, make less mistakes than the competition. You see that now with the PSA mess. Trimmed cards in PSA holders EVERYWHERE. SGC, very wisely, has gotten out of the autograph business. That industry is a cess pool and it least they recognize that and their strengths in grading cardboard only.
Speaking of opinions, after 4 or 5 SGC cheerleader posts, in the last hour or so. You need to post your full name when giving an opinion.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-29-2019, 10:25 AM
Greg C

VintageVinnie,

Post your real name!
Old 06-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
VintageVinnie,

Post your real name!
Good idea Mr. C
Old 06-29-2019, 10:42 AM
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Good idea Mr. C

That’s my real name. I am a real person. I encourage
everyone to come meet me at the National.

Love,

Greg Campbell
Old 06-29-2019, 10:43 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

If SGC had implemented at least some sort of reason to their numbering system, the blow out guys would undoubtedly be able to find more cards from the doctored submissions.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Actually he was a huge submitter to gai. I suggest you research 1955 Bowman’s GAi and moser for one example. Oh I see Anthony beat me to it. Lol.
LOL....there are reasons cards are still in GAI holders. It isn't because they are more valuable either.

As far as the other comment about a name with an opinion. It was added and more will be added as they are needed. And if anyone sees anything suspicious concerning any members, a confidential PM or email is always a good thing. Same thing concerning the opinion rule where names are needed. There won't be any member who can say a PM wasn't at least followed up on and usually extremely quickly.
As with any internet site it is caveat emptor. I can say though, anyone who has pm'd me in the past 15+ yrs, has not been scammed doing a trade or sale here. And I can't remember an outright scammer ever getting too far on our BST. Thanks to all members for their vigilance.

Last edited by Leon; 06-30-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Brad Sherlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
If SGC had implemented at least some sort of reason to their numbering system, the blow out guys would undoubtedly be able to find more cards from the doctored submissions.
This is the main reason so few SGC cards have been discovered so far. I collect SGC cards more than most but have to believe the cards that did not get graded from PSA in all of those submissions went to SGC. I imagine a decent percentage of those are in SGC graded holders.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:46 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
agree which actually makes the cards in their holders worth less in my eyes then PSA where you can at least partially check things out versus zero

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-01-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Did SGC articulate a rationale for moving away from sequential certs?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Congrats on that!
Thanks. Payday today, and The money ($787) is in my account now. PWCC is taking the initiative to reach out and notify its clients about these altered PSA-graded cards and providing timely refunds. So at least they're making good on the promise of restitution.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad31 View Post
This is the main reason so few SGC cards have been discovered so far. I collect SGC cards more than most but have to believe the cards that did not get graded from PSA in all of those submissions went to SGC. I imagine a decent percentage of those are in SGC graded holders.
Without any evidence, this is nothing more than a guess. And I have yet to see a single example of an SGC-numerically-graded card that has been trimmed.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:14 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
Thanks. Payday today, and The money ($787) is in my account now. PWCC is taking the initiative to reach out and notify its clients about these altered PSA-graded cards and providing timely refunds. So at least they're making good on the promise of restitution.
Are they being taken care of behind the scenes by Newport Beach ?

That would no shock me one bit...a day late and a dollar short

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-01-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:03 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Without any evidence, this is nothing more than a guess. And I have yet to see a single example of an SGC-numerically-graded card that has been trimmed.
Who needs to when a card goes up 30k in value from building up corners and a little bleach? Some pretty high increases on those sgc resub results, or are you blind to those as well?

Old 07-01-2019, 04:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Like a bank robber returning (some of) the money after he got caught red handed. To try to get a lighter sentence. Wowzers. Where was their initiative during a decade or more of this sh*t?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-01-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:22 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Like a bank robber returning (some of) the money after he got caught red handed. To try to get a lighter sentence. Wowzers. Where was their initiative during a decade or more of this sh*t?
Well in your situation the bank robber was actually arrested, and trying to get a ligher sentence..

in this situation, no arrest, no lawsuits..everyone is being paid back....nothing to see here.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Well in your situation the bank robber was actually arrested, and trying to get a ligher sentence..

in this situation, no arrest, no lawsuits..everyone is being paid back....nothing to see here.
To me, an active FBI investigation is not nothing. But that's just me, Jake.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-01-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:

*yawn* Wait, did I miss something new?....nope. Ok, back to my nap.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Jake doesn't understand, it seems, that sometimes the investigation precedes the arrest/indictment.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:03 PM
rgpete

SGC is on the top of their game
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CATABRI001810_med.jpg (8.3 KB, 241 views)
Old 07-01-2019, 07:08 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Default Sterling Auctions

Ok, here is an SGC 3 Cy Young Port with an EPDG back that was sold by Lee back in his 2017 auction. It was then cleaned up and regraded by SGC to a 5.5 and sold by PWCC with the High End sticker of course....

Perhaps Lee can see who bought the card? I’m curious of course... was it Moser? Maybe someone else? Link to BO research below:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=3708
Old 07-01-2019, 07:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Gary is not a T206 guy I don't believe. But, someone else working with Brent might be. It would not surprise me at all if Brent himself was the buyer, just as he bought the WWG DiMaggio out of REA, and some other cards I am aware of.

No big deal, though, at least it wasn't trimmed so yay for SGC.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-01-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:16 PM
Brad Sherlag

Quote:
No just some coloring in of white spots, bleaching, working on corners, etc.

It would be awesome if we could see the Moser/PWCC submissions.

Here is what I know:

>Submissions to PSA usually contained scores of cards.
>There are multiple cards that have been worked on with numerical grades from SGC revealed in the Blowout forums

I deduce - the submissions to SGC were likely multiple card submissions as were those to PSA.

I deduce - More than what we know from each submission got through - otherwise SGC rejected all but one card - but did not raise a red flag that there was only one legit card mixed in with a bunch of alterations.

Again I like SGC and have bought a lot of cards in their holders. I would like to have lists to check against like I do my PSA cards that I purchased from PWCC
Old 07-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Let's face it guys: The most trustworthy status of Baseball cards, unlike women, is raw.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Let's face it guys: The most trustworthy status of Baseball cards, unlike women, is raw.
I don't think raw is trustworthy either. The very reason TPGers came into being is because there so many altered raw cards. The TPGer promise has clearly been proven to be an illusion in many cases, but that certainly doesn't mean that raw is clean. I would suggest that common sense and experience, while not certain, may be the most important attributes that any collector can have at this point. And I get that isn't particularly safe either.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I don't think raw is trustworthy either. The very reason TPGers came into being is because there so many altered raw cards. The TPGer promise has clearly been proven to be an illusion in many cases, but that certainly doesn't mean that raw is clean. I would suggest that common sense and experience, while not certain, may be the most important attributes that any collector can have at this point. And I get that isn't particularly safe either.
I would imagine the Wagner wasn't the only trimmed card people sold to Jim Copeland. And yeah when I started in the early 90s and almost everything was raw it was the wild west out there with trimmed cards.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
Ok, here is an SGC 3 Cy Young Port with an EPDG back that was sold by Lee back in his 2017 auction. It was then cleaned up and regraded by SGC to a 5.5 and sold by PWCC with the High End sticker of course....

Perhaps Lee can see who bought the card? I’m curious of course... was it Moser? Maybe someone else? Link to BO research below:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=3708
I understand that as a general matter AHs and dealers would not divulge the identity of their buyers, but when the purchases at issue obviously involve fraud, WHY continue to protect the guilty? Why not out them? What's the downside, what's the fear? Not singling Lee out by any means.

Brent was connected to the WWG DiMaggio only because someone came forward and told me, and allowed me to post it. We are now almost certainly dealing with many multiples of that situation, where people could come forward and provide facts.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-01-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:35 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
To me, an active FBI investigation is not nothing. But that's just me, Jake.
When 'active' for this long given all the proof that has been submitted, you can indict a ham sandwich, yet nothing done

Also arrests are usually made so evidence cant be destroyed while the 'active' investigation takes place

Yes, if the investigation is more secret, and there is less worry that any alleged crimes are now being hidden or evidence isnt destroyed there is more of a wait period.

Tough to say there are victims in the criminal case when no civil lawsuits

Times just keeps going on...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-02-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Jake -- you're clueless about this.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post

The quote you took from me was actually taken out of context.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Jake -- you're clueless about this.
OK how many months/years need to go by before you agree the 'active' investigation isnt so active.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
OK how many months/years need to go by before you agree the 'active' investigation isnt so active.
Until subpoenas and search warrants are served I don’t think any criminal investigation is going on. An inquiry yes that’s where I believe we are at right now...
Old 07-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
I just got an email from Betsy Huigens stating that they now have the card in-house, and that my refund would be issued in my PayPal account on Monday.
Did Betsy happen to mention in which cave Brent was currently residing, busily counting his profits and contemplating his new life in Brazil?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I know people who are actively engaged with the active FBI investigation. Just stop already, enough.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Until subpoenas and search warrants are served I don’t think any criminal investigation is going on. An inquiry yes that’s where I believe we are at right now...
You wouldn't know, the FBI isn't going to publicly announce subpoenas and search warrants.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Speaking of opinions, after 4 or 5 SGC cheerleader posts, in the last hour or so. You need to post your full name when giving an opinion.
Cheerleader posts? The only guys crying are the people who must be holding loads of PSA cards. Their like little kids telling their mom "he did it to". The percentage of PSA graded duds is overall way greater than SGC. PSA stinks and some of you just want to cover up for the,. Disgrace. FRANK ANTHONY
Old 07-02-2019, 03:29 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
The way people gossip in this small card community, i would think word would of gotten out if there were search warrants given and police tape etc around the building etc.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:34 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
You wouldn't know, the FBI isn't going to publicly announce subpoenas and search warrants.
no but someone connected to someone would announce it in gossip...no not TMZ but in our little community, i doubt a search warrant goes quietly.... especially since it would shut me up...!

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-02-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
no but someone connected to someone would announce it in gossip...no not TMZ but in our little community, i doubt a search warrant goes quietly.... especially since it would shut me up...!
How much did we know about the Mastro investigation as it was unfolding? Your logic is ridiculous Jake.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

So how would I arrange a search warrant?
Old 07-02-2019, 03:40 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Key word served. Until then nobody will know, that is obvious. LE doesnt tip our hands.
My point is I don’t believed it’s even being thought of right now

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-02-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:45 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
How much did we know about the Mastro investigation as it was unfolding? Your logic is ridiculous Jake.
I would think after Mastro, now there would be more chance of a leak then ever now.'

You know you always say everybody is wrong in everything no matter the subject area. saying i am ridiculous when we are both just giving opinions is ridiculous

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-02-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
I would think after Mastro, now there would be more chance of a leak then ever now.
Please stop ....you will find out if and when sir
Old 07-02-2019, 03:49 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Key word served. Until then nobody will know, that is obvious.
My point is I don’t believed it’s even being thought of right now
Peter will say he does not agree with you and you are being ridiculous.

I guess the FBI is doing double secret probation with these guys like lambda lambda lambda was on with the university
Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Please stop ....you will find out if and when sir
i agree, but as time goes by, all i am saying that after 6 months if nothing is served with all the information in hand that we are getting let alone with FBI resources if nothing is served than its a non issue..
Old 07-02-2019, 03:54 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
i agree, but as time goes by, all i am saying that after 6 months if nothing is served with all the information in hand that we are getting let alone with FBI resources if nothing is served than its a non issue..
Let it play out....you can’t change anything. If they wanna pursue things further their is no rush for any LE to do so.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-02-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:59 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Let it play out....you can’t change anything. If they wanna pursue things further their is no rush for any LE to do so.
i agree, what usually makes LE more aggressive is when there are victims collecting and civil lawsuits like you see in ponzi schemes. However you know what i will say next.....and then peter will say thats ridiculous..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-02-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I would think after Mastro, now there would be more chance of a leak then ever now.'

You know you always say everybody is wrong in everything no matter the subject area. saying i am ridiculous when we are both just giving opinions is ridiculous
I told you I am not giving an opinion, I am in touch with people who are dealing with the FBI. Read what I write. Post 84 for one.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-02-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
None of Moser's cards got by GAI.
Wait until Monday...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-02-2019, 04:14 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
i agree, what usually makes LE more aggressive is when there are victims collecting and civil lawsuits like you see in ponzi schemes. However you know what i will say next.....and then peter will say thats ridiculous..
I would agree with Peter if he said your comment is ridiculous.....what you commented has never come into my mind....ever...civil lawsuits are for tort lawyers not LE

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-02-2019 at 04:15 PM.